Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2021, 08:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Question ? Generator Battery?

Which battery cranks the generator?
DCMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:14 AM   #2
Site Team

On many RVs it is the Chassis (engine starting) batteries that start the generator. However, that's not set in stone by any means and there are numerous RVs that use the House batteries to start the generator.

I just checked your Operator's Manual and I don't see anything detailing which battery or battery bank is starting your genset.

I tend to think it's the Chassis battery. But to be positive you'd have to ask Winnebago or another Vista LX owner. Hopefully, one will come along and know the answer.

Do you have the 50-amp version of the Vista? Since it's an LX I'd think that perhaps you do. (Not that that clears anything up on this issue.)
Old 01-08-2021, 03:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Creativepart,

Tnx! My assumption is chassis battery but nothing in either Winnebago or Onan manuals.

FWIW, no option, the 35F is 50A only. Years & years ago had 30A in the TT, wouldn't want to go back.
DCMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:18 PM   #4
Site Team

Your operators manual does list things that your chassis battery operates and it does not list the generator. However, it doesn't say that the house batteries do so either.

So, I guess WBGO is putting magic generators in the Vista LX that either don't require a starting battery or you are supposed to go outside and pull a starter rope like an lawn mower???
Old 01-08-2021, 04:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Try turning the coach battery's use/store or the battery disconnect switch to store and give it a try. If it cranks then it is the chassis battery. If it doesn't start then turn the switch to use and try again to confirm that it starts.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

On Vistas it is the house battery. You must have the house switch on to crank the gen.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

If your Vista has a power center that will display the battery voltage for the house battery and the chassis battery, have someone watch the voltage for each battery as you start the generator. The one that has a significant voltage drop is the one starting the generator.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

As far as I know Winnebago uses the house battery to start the generator and the chassis battery to start the engine.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:23 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
If your Vista has a power center that will display the battery voltage for the house battery and the chassis battery, have someone watch the voltage for each battery as you start the generator. The one that has a significant voltage drop is the one starting the generator.
We do often get too far into the complex things of our battery systems and forget how easy things can be if we truly know what the system does.
It is true that it is hard to figure what the systems do if we don't have some basics down first but this is one of the really easy ways to learn those smaller points.
One big point that I like to keep in mind is that I always want asny big draw electric item to have the best chance to work right and one way to do that is to give it the best power setup.
Best chance of getting the generator to work right or the slides or levelers to do their thing? Give it the best power by starting the engine which then ties the start battery, coach batteries and alternator all together and is the most likely way to give the generator a good cranking voltage!
My main use for the generator is the roadside lunch, so we just start the genset before we turn the RV engine off!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, generator