Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-17-2022, 10:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Generator Access on 2018 Forza

Having trouble gaining access to the generator on my new to me 2018 Forza.
Have tried just about everything to get into it. Have read that unit has to be
aired up and ignition switch needs to be on but to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas other than what I have done so far? The dealer said they would need to have it in the shop but its 2 Hrs away so thought I would put it out to you experienced guys. Thanks in advance for your help.
Rangerpump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 12:52 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Access? What sort of access do you need? What does “aired up” mean? It won’t start?
Old 03-17-2022, 01:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Aired up means the unit air to release the brakes. I need access to the front generator area to check things out prior to getting on the road. I guess the latch release is messed up?
Old 03-17-2022, 02:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The front hood has two locks - on on either extreme end of the hood. That will get you access to the oil dipstick, etc. Most other access is from the bottom. Nothing has to be on at all to open the hood.
Scubadude62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you I will check it out
Old 03-23-2022, 08:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Though its been a year plus since I traded in my 2018 Forza 38W but I had issues opening the front "hood" to slide out so I had access the generator. I found i really had to pull the release more than once to get it free. Some times I had my DW push it while I yanked on the release to get it to open. Even after I adjusted it some and oiled it up.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:31 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

You don't state which model of Forza you have, as the Forza's are all diesels the hoods should open the same.

My 2019 38F had a broken cable that was replaced under warranty. Even after that it required 2 people to open the hood. The latch had to be pulled past 90 degrees and the second person pulling the top of the hood.

There are adjustments on the cables that are the same as the brake adjustments on a hand brake bicycle. After making further adjustments to these and lubricating the release mechanisms the hood released when the handle was pulled past the 90-degree angle. Even after it released it only opened about an inch. Pulling towards you and down the hood pivots from the bottom.
Old 03-26-2022, 03:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The front hood latch release pull is in the 1st cabinet on the driver side. Mine already broke under warranty, but the replacement barely works either.

You can actually give the top of the front hood a good downward and outward yank and it'll pop open so that you can get to the genny.

Or, if you lie on your back and look up behind the hood, you can reach up and pull down on the wye-cable that's attached to the 2 spring latches to release them.
The hood latch cable is attached to this wye, but the hood latch mechanism is a little too weak, and doesn't have long enough travel to actuate the 2 spring latches reliably. I added a cable to the wye that drops down behind the hood and use that to open the hood now.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator