Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2005, 03:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2003 Journey 32T The furnace has not worked well since new. It runs constantly with the burner kicking on and off all the time. It will run all night and not get the coach up to 68 degrees in 40 degree weather. Service was no help multiple times, they say it is working fine. IT'S NOT!! I thought the high temp limit switch might be faulty, so I got a new one at Camping World here in town but that didn't solve the problem either. I called Suburban and the tech said it was getting too hot and the limit switch is shutting off the burner as a safety and this is not correct operation. He suggested an airflow problem. I removed the furnace and scoped the duct system and found no blockages. The airflow through the vents has never been much at all. My previous coach had the same model and my DAD's coach (different brand) has the same model SF-35 and they were and are like night and day difference in the airflow coming out of the vents. I somehow think the blower (for some reason) is not putting out enough air across the heat exchanger to cool it and provide adequate airflow.It doesn't sound bad or like it's only running half speed. A call to Beenawaygo was of no help they just blew me off and faxed me diagrams of the duct system. I hate to try a new furnace at $575 from Camping World but I don't know what else to do! Any ideas?!?!

Thanks, Brian
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 03:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2003 Journey 32T The furnace has not worked well since new. It runs constantly with the burner kicking on and off all the time. It will run all night and not get the coach up to 68 degrees in 40 degree weather. Service was no help multiple times, they say it is working fine. IT'S NOT!! I thought the high temp limit switch might be faulty, so I got a new one at Camping World here in town but that didn't solve the problem either. I called Suburban and the tech said it was getting too hot and the limit switch is shutting off the burner as a safety and this is not correct operation. He suggested an airflow problem. I removed the furnace and scoped the duct system and found no blockages. The airflow through the vents has never been much at all. My previous coach had the same model and my DAD's coach (different brand) has the same model SF-35 and they were and are like night and day difference in the airflow coming out of the vents. I somehow think the blower (for some reason) is not putting out enough air across the heat exchanger to cool it and provide adequate airflow.It doesn't sound bad or like it's only running half speed. A call to Beenawaygo was of no help they just blew me off and faxed me diagrams of the duct system. I hate to try a new furnace at $575 from Camping World but I don't know what else to do! Any ideas?!?!

Thanks, Brian
Old 01-31-2005, 06:02 PM   #3

I'm surprised RV Wizard hasn't come to your rescue. Give him a line, he's helped others with simular problems.

I would keep hammering Suburban, it's their product and it's still under warranty. If they don't fix it, make them replace it. And document everything you do, dates, time and who.

Tomcat F15
Old 02-01-2005, 01:52 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Your comment about low airflow makes me think the blower fan motor isn't doing its job. I know pulling out the furnace is a pain, but I'm thinking that you need to get a shaft-contact tachometer and see what rpm the shaft is really doing (could be a bad motor). Or, possibly get a reading on the dc amps pulled by the blower motor; most of these motors pull about 6.5 to 7.5 amps. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Mine is in the shop now for simular problem. 04 Journey 32T. When new unit would heat up coach evenly and quickly, blower switch was on low but had plenty of air flow. On a recent trip I noticed air flow was low and coach took forever to warm up, never got comfortable. outside air was not real cold, in the forties(been in colder conditions before with no problems) I tried switching to high but no change, blower does not change speeds. I suspect either a blower motor problem or fan switch (which may be part of the thermostat). I will keep you posted as to the results which hopefully will be this week.

2003 Harley Davidson Road Glide
ESTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 05:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

My hi and low blow switch does not change the speed of the blower at all. I have virtually no airflow at the front vent and not what I would call adequate at the rear vent located right by the furnace. Suburban is working with me hard to try and figure this out. I have been on the phone most of the morning with them. I'm not sure how winnie thought faxing me drawings of the duct system was a help. Suburban says the blower speed should be 1600 rpm and although I don't have a shaft tach it sounds about right. Estang PLEASE let me know anything you find out with your unit and I will do likewise.

Thanks, Brian
Old 02-01-2005, 05:30 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Strega, your furnace may be different than my Suburban, but the hi/lo switch on the wall thermostat is for A/C blowers, not the 12vdc furnace.
One last thing to check is the ability of the furnace to get return (cold) intake air. If your cold air return is restricted or perhaps covered up with a throw rug, that will really affect the amount of air on the output side.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Troth, that was the first thing I checked. I even removed the grill. Suburban suggested removing the outer cover on the RV where the furnace is installed so it could get the maximum air. That didn't help at all.

You are right on the blower switch, only for A/C
I'm REALLY baffled by this one. I do all my warranty repair myself if I can get the supplier to send me the parts which they always have. I just went out and checked my Dad's RV with the same model furnace, it puts out WAY more airflow than mine. I wonder if the duct is too large maybe?! His blower sounds like it is running at the same speed as mine also. This is the first year we have used it in the cold temps so I really never noticed this before.

Thanks again, Brian
Old 02-01-2005, 05:38 PM   #9

Brian,

Has Suburban contacted you today? What have they decided to do for you. Neal Stultz said he's talked with you. Keep me and the forum updated, as I am following your problem and will follow-up with a topic on Suburban Customer Service. So far, Suburban has shown a sincer interest in helping you, as I would expect.

Tomcat F15
Old 02-02-2005, 03:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Yeah and how's this for customer service!!!! They are coming to my house to try and fix the thing. He said they will be bringing a new furnace along with airflow diagnostic equipment to try and figure this one out. I had the furnace out again last night and bench ran it. The blower is putting out plenty of air. I thought that maybe the squirrel cage was on backwards and although it could be assembled that way it wasn't. I have scoped and mirrored all the duct work and found no problems there. I am wondering if the airflow is having trouble making the imediate 90 dgree turn to the right to go forward in the coach and the result is turbulence messing up the flow. I'm am REALLY interested to see what Estang finds out with his.

Thanks, Brian
Old 02-02-2005, 04:34 AM   #11

Brian,

The hv/ac air delivery systems in all Journeys should be the same, except for their length. We have a 39 footer and my system flows great. I'm really hesitant is saying anything about our coach, for fear of something else breaking down, but both Furnace and Heat Pump Systems function really well. Yea, there are some sharp turns in the system, but I've seen the same in residential systems too. Off the top of my head, I don't think that your problem. Although, I've been wrong before, I just don't remember when.

I wrote Suburban and asked if they could help you, I didn't expect them to go that far. It's really great when a company stands behind their product as they are doing. Their working for our coveted award of an "AT-A-BOY". Lets see how this progresses.

I'm also surprised that they have not advised against you doing the work, your back ground must be extensive and to the point, that they'll work with you and rather then have you go to a dealer- thats great. The only problem with you doing the work, is you can't get an "AT-A-BOY" from us, you have to give it to yourself.

Post the vehicle you have in your signature so we can relate to what coach you have each time you write.

Tomcat F15
Old 02-02-2005, 11:24 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Brian, talked to dealership today,have ordered a new thermostat,should be in by weeks end. Also talked to Winne, their thoughts are it's a damper door that is sticking and causing the low air flow. I will update as soon as thermostat is installed.
Eddie

Old 02-02-2005, 05:58 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

My father-in-law has a Journey and discovered, with not much help from Winnebago that the return air duct is too small and doesen't meet Suburban's specs. Winnebago refused to correct the problem and he just has to live with it. Winnebago knows the problem exists and still won't fix it because it's a design error and would cost to much to correct at this stage of the game. Look at the furness specs and then compair the size of the return air opening. The opening is smaller.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:21 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Estang, when I talked to Winnie their first thought was the door you are talking about. They also stated that since I do NOT have the option that heats the coach off of the engine radiator that damper door is not installed ( nor did I find one either).

dgassa, Suburban says the return minimum should be 55 square inches and while my return does not meet that (30 square inches) Suburban had me take the outside access cover off and run the unit so it could get much more air, that made no difference. Their instructions state that the return air MUST come from in the living area of the coach, so maybe taking that cover off was a moot point. That is the ONLY reason I haven't gone to Camping World and picked up a new furnace is because I think the furnace is not the problem. I also can't help but think about how quickly the guy at Winnie blew me off when he heard me say it was a 32T AFTER we talked about the problem I was having.
I just don't want to blame anybody until I know for sure what the problem is.

Thanks for all the replies I'm still listening, Brian
Old 02-03-2005, 05:46 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I'm really interested in the outcome of this one. My 03 Horizon 32T has the exact same problem. I have done all the same things you have done to find the problem. Bago hasn't been able to help & have noted our file to address whenever we can return to the factory. Like you, I think the furnace is working fine and that some how air flow is the problem but I find no restrictions, and no blockage in the return and fan seems to be working and not running backwards. Please be sure to post your findings.
Ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 06:18 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to Bob C
well, let me join this group.. estang and i bought our 04 32 journeys at the same time.. i have the same problem with low volume of heat fm the floor ducts.. my unit is also at the dlr at this time..

lets all stay on top of this one..

bob casale
riverside, ri

Bob & Terry Casale
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 10:03 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I would like to know how big the air return is in your coaches. Mine has one in the bedroom along side the curb wall. The return in mine is 24 square inches at best. I talked to Neal at Suburban and he said that will make the furnace cycle the burner and I would not have much airflow in the ducts. He STRESSED 55 square inches is the MINIMUM!! So a call to Winnie again to find out their specs on the air return, they said we will look into it and fax you the info Folks I am going to be the guinnea pig here. I am going home tonight after work and open up that air return. It won't be much fun but somebody has to try it. I will report back with the results. IF that is IF I find that is the problem, I'm going to be one PO'ed SOB and Winnie won't like what I have to say. Again that is IF (a big word for 2 letters) because I have avoided faulting anybody with this problem until I know for sure the fix. Now where is that sawzall
Old 02-03-2005, 10:33 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Hold on Brian, before you bring out the axe!!! I want to add to my story, both my coach and Bob C's coach were both good when we first bought the coaches,this is something that has developed. We had plenty of volume and pressure before, so I don't believe we have an air supply problem. If in fact there is only 1 blower speed when in the heat mode,I can tell you for certain that my fan speed is much lower now than before. The cause I am not certain at this point. Hopefully tomorrow We will have some more info.
Hang in ther pal

Old 02-04-2005, 06:13 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Well I have good news and bad news. I cut the air return so I have 65 square inches, went to Home Depot got a nice grill and put it on looks factory. The good news is my airflow out of all the vents is MUCH better now. The bad news is my furnace still cycles the burner on and off So I guess it must be either the circuit board on the furnace or the thermostat. Think I'll go trade it in the morning for a new 36G
Old 02-04-2005, 07:19 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to Bob C
strega

how big was the return (and was the filter in place) originally, did you also increase the size of the duct behind it??

exactly where is the return located in your coach - and is there only one??

thanks

eddy and i are still struggling with ours and we're trying to get ready for a florida trip later this month..

thanks

bob casale

Bob & Terry Casale
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote