Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2005, 07:41 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob C:
strega

how big was the return (and was the filter in place) originally, did you also increase the size of the duct behind it??

exactly where is the return located in your coach - and is there only one??

thanks

eddy and i are still struggling with ours and we're trying to get ready for a florida trip later this month..

thanks

bob casale <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The air return for the furnace is along the curb side wall in the bedroom. It measures 2"X13" which is 26 square inches.It has a brass looking grill on it that looks like the regular floor vents but runs along the wall. It is the only air return for the furnace and there is no filter. There is another return on the side of the bed with a filter in it, that is for the basement air unit.There is NOT any duct work for the furnace air return, that hole is cut into the area where the furnace is and the blower picks it up from there.

That is my problem, although Suburban has been GREAT and is coming to my house to fix this problem I have 3 trips to make before they will be here so I'm trying to get it fixed myself. Keep me posted on what you guys find.

Brian
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 07:18 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Well here goes Brian. 1.New thermostat solved the temp control problem. 2. Still did not have air volume out of front ducts that I had before.After seeing that the air volume was good in bedroom, good in bathroom but not good in lounge area I thought a damper was necessary at the rear. Welllll had I opened my eyes before there is one in bedroom register, must have opened all the way when cleaning and I wasn't aware of it. So reset that one and decided to add another damper in bathroom(it was always like a sauna in there) Good volume thru all ducts now and heat is even once again. So in my case it was 1 product malfunction and 1 owner malfunction. Good luck with yours and keep us all posted
Eddie

2003 Harley Davidson Road Glide
ESTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 03:13 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Estang, very cool glad you got it going. In my case closing the damper in the register made little difference. I have great airflow now, just have to wait on Suburban. The furnace is under warranty so I am not going to do anything else until they look at it which will be 3/10/05 I'll let you know what they find.

Brian
Old 02-08-2005, 05:37 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Watching this with great interest. 31Y Adventurer myself. Gas heat* works good, but I did notice the burner cycles in about a 5 minute cycle, on for three minutes, off for two, and so on. I suspected the temp limit switch, but I haven't looked at my airflow path. If they screwed it up in the Journey, it may well be screwed up in the Adventurer. (But if memory serves, I THINK my return grill is about 8x8 - I'll be looking tonight).

* Electric heat is another story --- to be told later.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:06 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Brian, although my original concern has been taken care of, I have noticed that my furnace cycles on and off also. Temp rise is 85 degrees but max temp output is 155 degrees (high limit is set for 160) Considering thermometer error,obviously we are hitting the limit. All ducts are wide open. Getting the same story as you from Suburban that return is too small. I don't mind opening it up , but that did not cure your problem. Any news from your end yet??
Eddie

Old 02-15-2005, 03:13 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Nothing new on my end. Suburban set up a time on March 10th to come to my house and get this sorted out. I was told by Winnie that the vent under the shower is also a cold air return which would give the furnace enough return air to work properly. I cannot verify that it is ducted back to the furnace area, but after modding mine with no change I don't think the return is the problem. I do know for sure that I do NOT have the air flow at the vents that I had in the 2 previous coaches or my Dad's current coach with the same model furnace. As soon as I get a cure for this I WILL post for you guys as it appears I'm not the only one with this problem.

Brian
2003 Journey 32T
Old 03-12-2005, 05:06 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Just wondering if Suburban kept their appointment on March 10 and what they found?
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:52 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Ok a guy named Dan Mininger from Suburban came as promised. Checked all connections and functions of the furnace/thermostat. Everything checked out fine. He had an airflow gadget to measure airflow at the registers. The airflow was 168.42 cfm he stated minimum was 225 cfm. This is why the burner is overheating and shutting off as there is not enough airflow to keep it at operating temp. He documented everything and took pictures. I am supposed to talk with him and Winnebago this morning but from the tone of the conversation, there is a flaw in the ducting. This should be sooo much fun!!
Old 03-15-2005, 07:11 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Well guess what?!?! Of course Winnebago said there is NO problem but the tech suggested I go to Home depot and buy 15 inch registers, cut the ones in the floor out bigger and install. Yeah right you can bet I will. The duct up front isn't even big enough to cut that big.

I think the only reason they won't do anything is I'm the only one who has brought it to their attention so they ignore the problem. This is my third winnebago and the other two did not do this, they were different models. So I think I will go trade it on another brand, I'm done with Winnebago I just don't have the time to put into filing a class action lawsuit. They know from talking to Suburban there IS a problem. The sad part is after all was said and done Suburban didn't want to pressure Winnie because they might lose that huge account if they make waves.

I think I got more for my money when I owned aircraft than an RV.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:29 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

How many outlet registers do you have? I think we have the same furnace (35,000 BTU?). I have four registers, if I'm remembering right. Sounds like I need more? Sounds like we all need more?

I can't believe Winnebago won't do anything. Mine's passed the 12 month warranty, guess I'm on my own.

Tim.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 08:43 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

Strega,
Sorry to hear Winnie won't do any thing for you. I had a similar problem with not enough heat in a certain area of a MH. The outlets were not large enough,it was plastic an someones high heel went thru it. Thats when I decided get rid of all plastic, get metal adjustible ones, an larger. Used a jigsaw with metal blade enlarged them in length about 15", my duck work went length wise to back of coach. Did this for four outlets. Also found a spare outlet on furnace that I fed out to end of kitchen cabinets an put a round adjustable outlet on wall of cabinet. There was so much heat in that MH I had to adjust the outlets for comfort. I figure a MH is like your home, you can do what you want to make yourself comfortable, a home costs to much to change out every two or three years. My new MH came with six outlets, plastic now changed out to metal adjustable on the floor. Winnie is not the only Mfg that falls short with registers, when you buy you don't run heat in spring or summer, winter comes around than you find out short they are. The job is not hard to do an the reward will be better than you could hope for, an you can say you did it yourself. ----"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:00 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tderonne:
How many outlet registers do you have? I think we have the same furnace (35,000 BTU?). I have four registers, if I'm remembering right. Sounds like I need more? Sounds like we all need more?

I can't believe Winnebago won't do anything. Mine's passed the 12 month warranty, guess I'm on my own.

Tim. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have 4 registers. My furnace is the 35,000 btu SF35 model. The suburban guy stated the the problem with the duct is it goes in from the furnace and makes a "square 90 degree turn forward. It is creating turbulance there and stopping airflow. The biggest problem is the duct work is all steel and integrated into the floor construction and not accessible.

My airflow was:
bedroom=49.22
bath=45.81
kitchen=31.06
front=42.32 total=168.42

Suburban states minimum is 60% of max airflow which equals 225cfm for minimum. You can see from that why the furnace overheats and the burner cycles on and off, not enough air moving over the heat exchanger.

Live and learn I guess.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:09 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

Most ducts coming out of furnace make a 90 degree turn into the main duct going length wise thru the coach. An ducts feeding of main duct another 90 degree turn. There maybe baffles directing air into feeds off the main duct, if your lucky.---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:34 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Brian, just got back from a 2week trip and saw your latest results. I thought I would update you on my situation. I installed 2 15" ducts up front(same as your original bedroom intake) does not cycle anymore and with the deflector in bedroom duct positioned properly air flow is good. Good even heat through out coach.

Old 03-22-2005, 03:10 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

They guy at Winnie mentioned this. Did you talk to them about it? Did they send you the ducts?

Thanks, Brian
Old 03-22-2005, 07:09 AM   #36
Winnebago Camper

I talked to Troy at Winnie and he was most helpful. They did send me the ducts. Before I called them I had removed both front ducts,leaving the opening in the floor(which stopped the cycling) That allowed app. twice as much airflow as with the duct in place. With that information I contacted Troy and he agreed that in my case that certainly proved that was a problem. I installed the ducts and all is fine. For now!!!!!

GOOD LUCK
EDDIE