Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-11-2020, 01:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Fumoto Oil Drain Plug

So I'm looking to add a Fumoto oil engine drain plug for the next time I drain my oil from my Cummins ISB 6.7 for several reasons one the ease of draining the oil and second is because my oil pan holds only 16 qts. & 8 qts. respectfully while the 6.7 holds 17.6 qts. That way I can drain about 1/2 or so down empty into each container making it easier to fill the oil containers with the used stuff once I refill the engine. So I have a 2018 Winnebago Forza 38W with a Cummins ISB6.7 and called Cummins Support, asked for the plug size and explained what I was trying to do. At first the person seemed lost on what it was but seemed to come back and said he was "pretty sure" it was M18x1.5x12. So I'm looking to see if anyone can confirm this size? Has anyone install one of these on the same engine and if so what was the part number you bought? Finally has anyone had a bad experience with these or is there a better one out there to get?
Thanks to all in advance.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 02:08 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1237dmctlc View Post
So I'm looking to add a Fumoto oil engine drain plug for the next time I drain my oil from my Cummins ISB 6.7 for several reasons one the ease of draining the oil and second is because my oil pan holds only 16 qts. & 8 qts. respectfully while the 6.7 holds 17.6 qts. That way I can drain about 1/2 or so down empty into each container making it easier to fill the oil containers with the used stuff once I refill the engine. So I have a 2018 Winnebago Forza 38W with a Cummins ISB6.7 and called Cummins Support, asked for the plug size and explained what I was trying to do. At first the person seemed lost on what it was but seemed to come back and said he was "pretty sure" it was M18x1.5x12. So I'm looking to see if anyone can confirm this size? Has anyone install one of these on the same engine and if so what was the part number you bought? Finally has anyone had a bad experience with these or is there a better one out there to get?
I can’t help you on the correct size, as mine is a Ford F53. I bought two, one for my Bronco, and one for the RV, and they were the same.

Makes oil changes very easy, and now they come with a plastic locking ring, which acts as a redundant safeguard. Be sure and get the tube too. You’ll be glad you did...
Old 09-13-2020, 01:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
First, thanks for your years of service. Being in Turner, OR I can say, with certainty, that firefighters are an essential part of any community as well as the police. You folks put your lives on the line to protect the rest of us. Thank You.
This is what I put in my ISC. I think it will work for you: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Happy and safe trails,
Rick Y.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
First, thanks for your years of service. Being in Turner, OR I can say, with certainty, that firefighters are an essential part of any community as well as the police. You folks put your lives on the line to protect the rest of us. Thank You.
This is what I put in my ISC. I think it will work for you: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Happy and safe trails,
Rick Y.
Thank you for your comments and your answer. I'll be ordering mine today and life will be simpler next time I drain all 17.6 quarts out next spring or sooner.
Enjoy...
Old 09-14-2020, 07:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thank you for your comments and your answer. I'll be ordering mine today and life will be simpler next time I drain all 17.6 quarts out next spring or sooner.
Enjoy...
Glad I could help. Safe and fun travels.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:06 PM   #6
Former Winnebago Owner

I've been looking at the Fumoto drain plug also. In my research I ran across another design that looks better to me: https://www.nospillsystems.com/ This addresses my main concern of having the drain valve hanging off the bottom of the oil pan and thus being the lowest point on the engine. I had also considered installing the drain valve in the drain plug on the side of the oil pan. Idea being that most of the oil could be drained through the side mounted valve and the final small amount through the bottom plug. However the low profile of the compact "no-spill" valve looks pretty good.
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Another good option is https://www.valvomax.com. I have this system on my F53.
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMBluept View Post
I've been looking at the Fumoto drain plug also. In my research I ran across another design that looks better to me: https://www.nospillsystems.com/ This addresses my main concern of having the drain valve hanging off the bottom of the oil pan and thus being the lowest point on the engine. I had also considered installing the drain valve in the drain plug on the side of the oil pan. Idea being that most of the oil could be drained through the side mounted valve and the final small amount through the bottom plug. However the low profile of the compact "no-spill" valve looks pretty good.
I agree with what you saying but I'm hoping that an inch isn't going to mean that much of a risk, hopefully not my famous last words..... I've looked at both your suggestion and IOS 3's but if I have it right on both of them you have to hook up a drain hose to start the flow and once you start I'm not sure you can stop without somewhat of a mess. I have several drain pans now, largest being 16 qts. my MH holds 17.6 and I don't want yet another drain pan plus I liked the ease of this when draining the oil. Wanted to do it on my Gasser but now with a DP lots more oil hence why Fumoto for several reasons first you can shut it off mid stream, Second no hose to clean afterwards I can just want to drain directly into the containers but I do appreciate the ideas, got me thinking plus I never heard of the others so I learned something new today. Thanks
Old 09-21-2020, 10:25 PM   #9
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMBluept View Post
While it may be the lowest part of the engine, in mine at least, it’s not even close to being the lowest thing under the front of the rig. My cross bar And most of my suspension would have to be destroyed first...
Old 09-21-2020, 10:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

For what its worth, I installed one of those Fumoto oil drain valves on my E450/Triton motorhome last fall. Just changed the oil (6 quart capacity) a couple days ago and that drain valve made the process much easier and less messy.

The only "disadvantage" is that the oil must drain through a opening only about a quarter inch in diameter. That made the drain time about two to three times longer than using the stock plug.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:28 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
For what its worth, I installed one of those Fumoto oil drain valves on my E450/Triton motorhome last fall. Just changed the oil (6 quart capacity) a couple days ago and that drain valve made the process much easier and less messy.

The only "disadvantage" is that the oil must drain through a opening only about a quarter inch in diameter. That made the drain time about two to three times longer than using the stock plug.
Yes I'm sure it's longer than without it which means I can start it in the morning and probably come back in the afternoon it might be done with 17.6 qrts. to empty. The biggest thing is to remember to close it before you start filling otherwise you'll have one heck of a mess to clean up. Thanks to all for your inputs