Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2001 ellipse. My full wall slide made a loud bang when bringing it in one day. From then on I had to use manual over ride to bring it in. I had the motor replaced due to a broken tooth on the gear. The second time I used it bang, there goes the gear again. Spoke with the factory but not much help since they cannot see the problem. I have a another appointment for the 2nd of December. I will bring it in and out 50 times before I accept the repair this time.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:26 PM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

Lippert slideout problems

We took possession of our new 2014, 37 Itasca Meridan on October 5, 2013. It was a birthday present for my wife. I should have kept our 2009 Winnebago 37 Journey. We used the Meridan for 8 days. The slide out started to extend but after moving about four inches the slide out stopped working. I took it to Camping World on 11/24/13 to have the problem fixed. I was notified today, 3/6/2014 that the rig is ready to be picked up. It seems Lippert has mega problems with their slide out systems. The problem is out of Winnebago's hands. The only way the problem can be fixed is to install another manufactures slide out systems. That will not happen because Winnebago and the other motorhome Mfgs. want to keep their costs down. This is our third Winnebago product, but it will be our last.
RICHOCET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:47 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHOCET View Post
We took possession of our new 2014, 37 Itasca Meridan on October 5, 2013. It was a birthday present for my wife. I should have kept our 2009 Winnebago 37 Journey. We used the Meridan for 8 days. The slide out started to extend but after moving about four inches the slide out stopped working. I took it to Camping World on 11/24/13 to have the problem fixed. I was notified today, 3/6/2014 that the rig is ready to be picked up. It seems Lippert has mega problems with their slide out systems. The problem is out of Winnebago's hands. The only way the problem can be fixed is to install another manufactures slide out systems. That will not happen because Winnebago and the other motorhome Mfgs. want to keep their costs down. This is our third Winnebago product, but it will be our last.
Hi Rich
I am very sorry to hear that you haven't been able to use your new coach. I have the same slide system. Who told you that the only way the problem can be fixed is to install another manufactures slide out systems?
Thanks
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefbvfd View Post
My 2011 Journey's full wall slide has "slide locks"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHOCET View Post

2008 Winnebago Destination 39W and around 2009 time frame we had major problems with the slides. We have the Kwikee system, so Lippert is not the only one that has problems. We also have the full wall slide and I don't think I'll ever do that again. This is my first Winnebago product and it will be my last. Even the factory could not fix a jack issue problem. It was suggested by PowerGear/Kwikee to just start replacing parts. Not a good way to solve a problem.

As for the slide locks, they were also a problem. There was a "field" recall when the bolt to the slide lock motor had one to many washers on it and the head of the motor bolt would bind the lock. Simple fix, but it sure does ruin the day when you have to call for mobile repair to get your slide in.

I now never use the slide locks, they are left unlocked and I have never had a problem since.

DW has named the MH "Citrus," so she can be polite in social circles.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

Full wall slide problems on my 2014 Itasca 37 Meridan

It was I who suggested that Winnebago use another companies slide mechanism for the full wall slides. I asked Winnebago's customer service department if Winnebago was going to extend the warranty on the slide and was told that they MAY consider it in extreme cases. They will review each case one on one. No guarantee what will happen when the warranty runs out. I know other companies are having the same problems with the Lippert slide out mechanisms. You would think Motorhome companies would like to keep their customers happy, but that is not the case. The bottom line is plain and simple. They want to make as much money as possible while degrading the components in their units.
RICHOCET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Why does a mfgr as big as Winnebago use 2, 3, or even 4 different makers of slide ASMs? It would seem that once they identified as unit that stands up to full time use they'd stay with it. I haven't seen any posts on issues with the Power Gear slide systems as yet.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Owning a RV repair shop I fully understand the issues with slide rooms. I haven't heard of or seen a specific issue with powergear units. Powergear (or any other slide manufacture) only builds the hardware. The true magic comes from the installer / engineer in how the "hardware" is put together.

I've seen it over & over again, just because some installer and/or engineer didn't do his/her job doesn't mean the equipment from manufacture "X" isn't good - usually comes down to bad/poor installation or design. The biggest problem's I see is the lack of adjustments and/or getting access to them without pulling the room.

As far a someone stating they don't use the slide look anymore, if I had one that was a separate function (such as how Winnebago has done there's) I would most definitely use it, unless I was only moving the coach a short distance. On the really good slide assemblies where money is not an object, they ALWAYS have slide locks, it's never a separate option (Switch) you push the button, the slide comes in and the locks engage.

Something to think about, why do manufactures put seat belts in a slide room? Of all the crashes I've seen (thankfully not many) the slide's are about the first thing to leave the unit - -maybe someday these units (coaches) will be D.O.T. crash tested. I'm pretty sure these current locks &/or hold devices wont pass.... Just my 2cents
InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Wow...every time I start to think that maybe the full wall slide design and engineering efforts have matured then these threads come along. Love the open space and the floor plans that full wall slides offer...just find myself wondering if the builders are responding to market "want" when the engineering and construction techniques just aren't there yet.

Entegra a year ago said they would "never" do a full wall slide because the construction techniques and engineering weren't there. Now Entegra is coming out with a full wall slide. Just leaves me very suspect. JMTCW and HO.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2013 Journey 42E with the Lippert slide on the kitchen, and has been replaced 3 times. Talking to Tom and Eric at owner relations, they explained that they discovered in Late December that Lippert had not field tested their mechanism on a large slide, but had taken the information and testing from the smaller slide and extrapolated the results and said they would work in larger slides. When Winnebago found out, they put one of the mechanism's into a test coach and were opening it 24 hours a day, as of first week of January, they had over 3200 open and close cycles without a failure. The latest version of the mechanism was released the first week of January, and we got our mechanism last week, and had it installed. It seems to be a lot more stable and sounds better coming in and out.
Also found that the part that breaks is when it is fully extended, it over travels the track and can break a Teflon type shoe in the track and then next time it goes back in or out, the show falls out and then the grinding starts. The new mechanism has that Teflon shoe redesigned so it wont fall out if it gets broken.

They also removed the rubber seal on the backside of the wood trim on the slide and replaced with aluminum to create a faster stopping of mechanism when fully extended so that it wont over travel while putting slide out.

Hope that helps

Paul
Old 03-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

That makes me wonder how many times those guys are going to come out with the latest and greatest upgrades. I'm on my 3rd one now and really wonder. The latest was installed last December. I've extended it once since then because we are spending the Winter in Vegas. Guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best!
Old 05-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Ive been battling my full wall slide for a few months now. The bottom rear stays out a few inches when closed. Winnebago has been no help because all I heard during the warranty period was noise, no evidence of the wall not coming in fully. I've since been in contact with Lippert and have diagnosed the issue. Winnebago needs to install the system within certain tolerances. The distance from the gear track to the outside of the column needs to be 2.5 inches +- 1/8. When the tolerance is too tight, the motors amp out and stop or work too hard. When the tolerance is too loose (Mine measure 3.0 inches on the affected part of the wall) the gears can skip teeth because they are not making full contact. Lippert says the column needs to be adjusted to 2.5 inches. Not something that could have been cause by user error or wear and tear. At the dealer now, we'll see how it goes.
Scuster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Its sad to see a great company give up an outstanding reputation so easily. Was the hwh systems too heavy or was it too expensive. I've had several moho's with hwh and never had to worry about it. I don't really want to know why it broke, but why it wasn't built better.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

I hate to say this, because I'd like my next MH to have a full wall slide; I just think the question of engineering is not there yet. The problems are not 100%, but there are enough problems to question whether the design can stand up to use. A shame, because that open floor plan is great. You have to wonder if the companies are succumbing to market pressure against sound engineering.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:05 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
I hate to say this, because I'd like my next MH to have a full wall slide; I just think the question of engineering is not there yet. The problems are not 100%, but there are enough problems to question whether the design can stand up to use. A shame, because that open floor plan is great. You have to wonder if the companies are succumbing to market pressure against sound engineering.
The full wall slide on mine is great. Never a problem. However the galley slide, on the driver's side front, has the Lippert system. That is not great at all!!!!! I was told by a Customer service rep at Lippert that the coach should be level with the jacks down and the engine running for at least 5 minutes before operating that slide. Also the switch should be held down until the motors shut off on their own. So far it's been working Ok. But I'm still gunshy when I use it.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:35 PM   #35
Winnebago Master

Here is information on your slide systems.
Thread is from the Thor forum but have same slide systems as Winnebago.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:38 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
The full wall slide on mine is great. Never a problem. However the galley slide, on the driver's side front, has the Lippert system. That is not great at all!!!!! I was told by a Customer service rep at Lippert that the coach should be level with the jacks down and the engine running for at least 5 minutes before operating that slide. Also the switch should be held down until the motors shut off on their own. So far it's been working Ok. But I'm still gunshy when I use it.
I think that is what is strange...and I couldn't find the word for it in the previous post, but I think it is inconsistency in results with the FWS. One person has problems, the next doesn't. Of course, on this forum, you see more of folks seeking resolution for problems, so it may not be representative, but there is a similar thread going on in the Newmar forum, whose engineering I greatly respect.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #37
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 2013 Journey 34B. About six months ago (after a trip to IA) a seal was flapping in the breeze. We pulled into Camping world Chattanooga where we bought the coach to get the seal fixed. When extending the slide it broke. Camping world orderd parts and two weeks later it was fixed. In April we returned to WIND IA for other warranty issues. They checked the slides. All was fine. we left and came here: Santa Fe.
Extending the slide.....it broke. We checked with AL at WIND and he recommended a shop in Albuquerque. We drove there and they checked it out, ordered parts and will install them May 27th.
This is the long slide with Lippert/Schwintek systems.
In my opinion, this technology works well for short slides, but not for long slides.
We are very frustrated by these two experiences.
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:13 PM   #38
Winnebago Master

Our full wall slide has been working great so far, has Power gear electric mechanism. Our wardrobe slide is Lippert, but short. Only issue so far has been a jerky motion going in or out. Fixed by cleaning the seals and spraying with dry silicone.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Lippert has a new app..."MYLCI" recently released April 25
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:44 AM   #40
Winnebago Owner

On our 13 40-U. The drawer side-slide would not come in the second or third tome we used it. There was plastic all wadded up behind it.
They had taken all out from shipping. Had several places after that we had to cut out the plastic covering from the carpet.
The slide lock on the fridg slide malfunctioned last month. Would not let it Coe in.
Had to put a jumper wire on the lock to fool the controls that it was unlocked , until
We got a new one ordered.

Tags
journey, slide