Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Fuel filter replacement 2005 Journey 32t

How many fuel filters are there on a 2005 Journey 32T with a ISB 300 hp cummins
Ind Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

There are two. The larger water/fuel separator filter back by the radiator and the second small filter located usually on the inside rail by the passenger side rear tire. You have to really look closely to find the small filter as it is tucked up on the rail and difficult to remove in order to replace it. It can only be accessed from underneath the coach. A real pain the @%$#.
Yours should be the same as mine I would guess. Good luck
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the info I will check that area
Old 07-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun time View Post
There are two. The larger water/fuel separator filter back by the radiator and the second small filter located usually on the inside rail by the passenger side rear tire. You have to really look closely to find the small filter as it is tucked up on the rail and difficult to remove in order to replace it. It can only be accessed from underneath the coach. A real pain the @%$#.
Yours should be the same as mine I would guess. Good luck
That is correct for the 2006 32T. We just experienced trashy fuel and had to change both filters three times while on the road. That small strainer/filter over the rear axle inside the frame member is near impossible in that situation. I'm in the process of redoing the primary filter so as to have a large screw-on filter replace that little one. The replacement kit is on order but not in hand yet. I don't want to repeat that experience.

JT
RV'nOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

JT,
What kind of replacement are you using for the fuel strainer. I am interested in replacing mine and haven't come up with a replacement.
Thanks,
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana journey View Post
JT,
What kind of replacement are you using for the fuel strainer. I am interested in replacing mine and haven't come up with a replacement.
Thanks,
Indiana Journey
Hi,

I plan to use this one: 490R30-Racor FUEL FILTER/WATER SEPARATOR ASSEMBLY.

Have it on order from DieselFilters.com but note that they haven't shipped it yet (just checked, ordered a week ago). The plan is to replace the strainer with a one-half inch brass coupler (should fit the hose hardware), run the fuel line rearward to an open area on the same frame member, fabricate a mount for the new filter, mount it and run a new fuel line to the lift pump or existing secondary filter (following current hookup which hasn't been checked yet). The new filter is rated for 90 gallons/hour, much higher than the 35 GPH of the old strainer, so should be ample to avoid any restriction and its many times larger than that dinky original so maybe it won't plug up as quickly and be accessible for changing.

Any questions, fire away.

JT
Old 07-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Ouch! Kind of expensive for a "rock catcher".
I'll probably just relocate the strainer on my coach. Move it farther forward or to the rear a little. I just can't seem to be able to reach around the rear suspension to access mine very easy.
Good luck with your new filter.
Indiana Journey
Old 07-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I have looked everywhere inside the frame from the fuel tank to the water seperator/filter and can't locate any filter. On a 2005 is the other filter engine mounted? Guess I need to pull the bed out and take a look.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

It's there, it is about 4 inches long and about 1 1/2 inches diameter. It has brass compression fittings on each end and is held in place with loop-type brackets. It is usually located above the rear tire/rear trailing arm area inside of the frame on the passenger side. I guess it might look like a piece of pipe in the fuel line.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
Old 07-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana journey View Post
It's there, it is about 4 inches long and about 1 1/2 inches diameter. It has brass compression fittings on each end and is held in place with loop-type brackets. It is usually located above the rear tire/rear trailing arm area inside of the frame on the passenger side. I guess it might look like a piece of pipe in the fuel line.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
Agreed, it's there.

When mine was restricted with trash from bad fuel, I had to show three mechanics (at different places) where it was. My expense for filters, labor (one place charged for three hours to change them), and drained fuel was about $1000 and that doesn't include the towing covered by insurance or my frustration. After my experience, the cost of a replacement seems minor.

There is a picture of the filter (#025-RAC-10A) here.

[025-RAC-10]Parker Racor IN-LINE FUEL FILTER,104MIC

Good luck

JT
Old 07-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Lay on the ground with a high powered flashlight just in front of the passenger side inside dually and shine your light up on the inside of the frame rail. Look for a small blue round filter just like the above poster said (about 4 inches round and held on by a "U" shape bracket). It will be hard to see as it is surrounded by other cables. It is hard to find which is why I said in my original post it is a pain in the butt to change. Very poor design from the factory. I would re-route it which is what I did on my former Meridian.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun time View Post
Lay on the ground with a high powered flashlight just in front of the passenger side inside dually and shine your light up on the inside of the frame rail. Look for a small blue round filter just like the above poster said (about 4 inches round and held on by a "U" shape bracket). It will be hard to see as it is surrounded by other cables. It is hard to find which is why I said in my original post it is a pain in the butt to change. Very poor design from the factory. I would re-route it which is what I did on my former Meridian.
In addition to a poor design (location and difficult to replace), the maker, lists it as for outboard/inboard use. It is simply inadequate to handle an unusual load such as trashy fuel. With normal situations and annul changes, it's probably fine, just "a pain in the butt".

JT
Old 07-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Ok it's there wow
I saw that last night and thought there is no way anyone would put a servicable part in that location. I was wrong. I bet that thing was real easy to get to before Winnebago put a motorhome on top of it. Thanks for the info I will have to get a replacement to keep in the toolbox.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:26 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ind Journey View Post
Ok it's there wow
I saw that last night and thought there is no way anyone would put a servicable part in that location. I was wrong. I bet that thing was real easy to get to before Winnebago put a motorhome on top of it. Thanks for the info I will have to get a replacement to keep in the toolbox.
Good plan. Also, carry a spare secondary water separater/filter. During my misadventures I picked up two each at a Freightliner. The big filter can be found at many parts stores but usually not the little Racor strainer.

JT
Old 09-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

racor 025-rac-10inline fuel filter

My 2004 Journey has this filter and I have never changed it. As you all have said, almost impossible to change in the current location.

My question is does anyone have a fuel system schematic for Journey /Cummins? The racor filter/screen is 100 microns so it almost has to be a prefilter for the lift pump and the FS 19596 water separator/filter (30 microns) is the final filter.

Any information would be appreciated since I am going relocate same type filter or add another type.

Where ids the lift pump and is the racor filter first in line from the tank?

Thanks for any help,
Keith
keithg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:18 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV'nOldTimer View Post
Hi,

I plan to use this one: 490R30-Racor FUEL FILTER/WATER SEPARATOR ASSEMBLY.

Have it on order from DieselFilters.com but note that they haven't shipped it yet (just checked, ordered a week ago). The plan is to replace the strainer with a one-half inch brass coupler (should fit the hose hardware), run the fuel line rearward to an open area on the same frame member, fabricate a mount for the new filter, mount it and run a new fuel line to the lift pump or existing secondary filter (following current hookup which hasn't been checked yet). The new filter is rated for 90 gallons/hour, much higher than the 35 GPH of the old strainer, so should be ample to avoid any restriction and its many times larger than that dinky original so maybe it won't plug up as quickly and be accessible for changing.

Any questions, fire away.

JT
How did you Fuel strainer change work out? I am wanting to do that too but changing from a 104 micron strainer to a 30 micron filter concerned me. Have you had any issues?
jwgroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:17 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Before everyone with a 32T goes crazy trying to find the filter, I first called Freightliner and was told my 02 has only 1 filter. Verified at the Freightliner factory service center. Best to call Freightliner.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwgroves View Post
How did you Fuel strainer change work out? I am wanting to do that too but changing from a 104 micron strainer to a 30 micron filter concerned me. Have you had any issues?
Hello,

The filter conversion works beautifully. The more restrictive but much larger filter permits several times the rate of flow of the dinky strainer and is a screw-on replacement accessible (not in the frame, over the rear axle). I've made two fairly long trips and no flow or blockage problems.

JT
Old 02-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles tuit View Post
Before everyone with a 32T goes crazy trying to find the filter, I first called Freightliner and was told my 02 has only 1 filter. Verified at the Freightliner factory service center. Best to call Freightliner.
Could be the case with the '02, I don't know. But I can assure you and others that my '06 32T has (had!) the "strainer" and that it has plugged with debris and that its a bear to change, especially in summer in the New Mexico desert with the temperature at 106 F. I've yet to find a shop (on the road) that knew where and what it was until I showed it to them and supplied the filter (I carried a spare). Now I have a spare large filter for the replacement described above.

Good luck to all.

JT
Old 02-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I also called Freightliner and asked how many fuel filters on my '04 Journey 36 footer with Cat 330, and they told me just one. Guess I'm going to have to take a look underneath...

Tags
replacement, journey, replace, fuel