Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2019, 07:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Fuel filter changing

I have 2 fuel filters. The first from the tank is a 30micro filter/water separator. The part is an Alliance Truck Parts filter and may be the original. Unfortunately I could not find a direct replacement for it through my Bing and Google searches. I did find one that looked like it would work. I had looked at the Cummins and Freightliner sites and came up with the # I bought.

Today I installed it on the coach. What a mess. There is no shutoff from the tank. You simply put a catch basin under the filter and go like crazy.
Got it on! But ! The sensor connector did not fit the new filter!??!
Now a stroke of genius hits me. Call Freightliner. With some effort the guy at the parts counter came up with the correct part #. He was truly a very nice guy and very willing to do what was needed to try to find a substitute #.

More online searching caused me more frustration. After some time I finally came to the conclusion that I have to drive 52 miles each way to the only place that has this filter near me and that is the Freightliner dealer.
I hope tomorrow is a better day for me. What a bummer. Anyone need a FS1065 filter?? Very slightly used. Pay shipping and it is yours.
So. Buyer be cautious. Double check your filter #'s with Freightliner before you get stuck the way I did.
Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 09-04-2019, 11:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I have 2 fuel filters. The first from the tank is a 30micro filter/water separator. The part is an Alliance Truck Parts filter and may be the original. Unfortunately I could not find a direct replacement for it through my Bing and Google searches. I did find one that looked like it would work. I had looked at the Cummins and Freightliner sites and came up with the # I bought.

Today I installed it on the coach. What a mess. There is no shutoff from the tank. You simply put a catch basin under the filter and go like crazy.
Got it on! But ! The sensor connector did not fit the new filter!??!
Now a stroke of genius hits me. Call Freightliner. With some effort the guy at the parts counter came up with the correct part #. He was truly a very nice guy and very willing to do what was needed to try to find a substitute #.

More online searching caused me more frustration. After some time I finally came to the conclusion that I have to drive 52 miles each way to the only place that has this filter near me and that is the Freightliner dealer.
I hope tomorrow is a better day for me. What a bummer. Anyone need a FS1065 filter?? Very slightly used. Pay shipping and it is yours.
So. Buyer be cautious. Double check your filter #'s with Freightliner before you get stuck the way I did.
Happy trails,
Rick Y
Rick,
This may save you some agrivation the next time and every time after that, that you change filters. Long, long ago, I did a fuel filter change, (we only have one on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 CAT, 330HP), and, due to a myriad of bone head moves, I developed a "NO START" condition after the fuel filter change. Well, long story short, I finally got it running. But, the main thing I learned and, now account for is, the potential for fuel to flow from the fittings on the fuel filter housing, or, the fuel to flow BACK INTO THE TANK. NOT GOOD!!!!!!!

So, what I did was this. I purchased and installed, a 1/4 turn, shut off valve, on each line, on each side of the filter. Now, when I get ready to change filters, I simply shut the fuel off, on each side of that filter and, I can take my sweet time changing filters. There is now no mess, no fuss. In my opinion, Freightliner should have done that from the factory. But, that's just how I think. Anyway, it's something to think about.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010032.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	172163   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010035.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	172164  

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Rick,
This may save you some agrivation the next time and every time after that, that you change filters. Long, long ago, I did a fuel filter change, (we only have one on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 CAT, 330HP), and, due to a myriad of bone head moves, I developed a "NO START" condition after the fuel filter change. Well, long story short, I finally got it running. But, the main thing I learned and, now account for is, the potential for fuel to flow from the fittings on the fuel filter housing, or, the fuel to flow BACK INTO THE TANK. NOT GOOD!!!!!!!

So, what I did was this. I purchased and installed, a 1/4 turn, shut off valve, on each line, on each side of the filter. Now, when I get ready to change filters, I simply shut the fuel off, on each side of that filter and, I can take my sweet time changing filters. There is now no mess, no fuss. In my opinion, Freightliner should have done that from the factory. But, that's just how I think. Anyway, it's something to think about.
Scott

Great suggestion, Scott. But there are two differences that make this idea not practical for my situation. My filters are on the rail next to the tranie. Second, this is a Cummins. Priming works to get enough air out of the system to allow starting. The fuel drain from the tank was manageable.

My biggest challenge was finding the correct filter. The Fleetguard I bought fit the engine with no problem but the water sensor connector did not fit it nor could I find an adapter. Going to Freightliner, 52 miles away, was a challenge in its self. Mentally for one. Never had to travel more than a few miles before for a fuel filter. Once there, the parts guy had a hard time matching my filter. The one he sold me turned out to be a 30 micron. He could only determine this by calling the manufactures support group.

I wish Freightliner would mount the filters in a easier to get to spot. But, they are what they are. Will be a long time before I need to change them again. I don't subscribe to the once a year thinking. I feel we waste a lot of money and have to deal with a lot of unnecessary waste materials because we are told by the manufacturer we must meet this extreme condition routine regiment. RVers, for the most part in the USA, don't run there rigs under extreme conditions like truckers do. But I am certain that I am opening up a can of worms here.

Thanks, again, for sharing your insight and solution. It is a great idea.

Rick

Tags
fuel