Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2022, 10:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Front window water stains

The driver's and passengers side windows on my coach stay dirty and streaked because the rain gutters on both sides end about half way across the top of the window. The rain water runs straight down the middle of the window and it's very difficult to keep them clean. Drives me nuts!
Does anyone have any fixes? Also, what are you using to get them clean?
Old 05-11-2022, 02:32 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Not familiar with your gutters, but would something like these work to divert the runoff?

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-42123-G...000BUOSG6?th=1

As far as glass cleaning, many recommend (and I can agree) that using "0000" steel wool along with some Windex or similar will do a great job of cleaning the glass without leaving any marks.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

After many years of keeping/breeding tropical fish, I do not recommend any type of abrasive as even the best is, by nature, abrasive!
What that means is that it if it has enough abrasive quality to speed removing the stain, it also makes micro-scratches in the glass, which is a slippery slope. As you leave those scratches, even if you can't see them at first, they will be more prone to collecting the minerals from the water which is what you want to avoid!

When dealing with scratched glass, the first move is not to make it worse, so I use tools designed to remove things from glass, like paint and water deposits.

There are paint scrapers which are made for this if the minerals are piled up enough to feel with a carefull feel. But if it is only the shight discolored thing which you can see but not feel, I go for some of the less damaging things like first plain vinegar.
If the vinegar, which is light acid doesn't help to soften and remove the calcium and magnesium left by most water, I then try the scraper and retry the vinegar. There have been times when even the last ditch efforts with Acid Magic have not worked, if the problem has been ignored long enough and the glass is permanently damaged.
Various rubbing/ buffing ideas are always proposed but I have never found any that worked if my other tries have failed.

To me the rule has to be:
1. Try to head it off and fix it when only a small problem.
2. Don't make it worse by scratching the glass!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 06:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Ed, thanks for your response. I bought a few sets of the extensions, but none fit my gutter profile. So still looking.

Richard, thanks to you as well. 100 percent agree, don't make it worse! My MH is new, so there is no residue that would warrant scraping. Working on the windows today and started with just plain water and dish soap. Then Rainex window cleaner. Then magic eraser and plain water. Didn't think about vinegar, but thanks! 1st thing tomorrow morning, I'll give that a go.

Love our Winnebago but the gutter design is not up to par. Thanks again!
Old 05-11-2022, 07:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202235f View Post
Ed, thanks for your response. I bought a few sets of the extensions, but none fit my gutter profile. So still looking.

Richard, thanks to you as well. 100 percent agree, don't make it worse! My MH is new, so there is no residue that would warrant scraping. Working on the windows today and started with just plain water and dish soap. Then Rainex window cleaner. Then magic eraser and plain water. Didn't think about vinegar, but thanks! 1st thing tomorrow morning, I'll give that a go.

Love our Winnebago but the gutter design is not up to par. Thanks again!
It's one of those old chemistry things that we always forget! Much of the hard water is from calcium and magnesium and those are alkaline, so to cut through, we can often get it done with a light acid like vinegar!
Cleaning up hard water marks on fish equipment is a full time job with my hard (23 grains!) water so I did get around to using Acid Magic that is designed to clean pools and is just short of hydrochloric. Quick but hard on hands if I had any nicks or scrapes!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:13 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Check out this thread. I bought the ones from dragonfly and they work really well.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...rs-356185.html

They are not perfect but a great improvement. I parked under pine trees and the needles clogged them and I couldn't install one on the driver's side rear because the metal gutter was installed too close to the rear cap so I didn't have enough room for the spout.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 11:03 AM   #7
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Isopropyl alcohol takes the streaks off immediately. Follow up with an ammonia free window cleaner. Easy.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I repaired a couple windows on mine that had fogged and was told by an experienced glass man to use dryer sheets soaked in warm water to clean them good. Worked great. He also told us to wax our frameless glass shower doors in our S&B to help protect them so I do the same to the windshield, drivers and passengers windows. I use Rejex on them which does make the cleaning easier. I do have the gutter spout extensions on mine which helps divert most the water off of them but still get streaking. I’m pretty sure it is a residue slipping by the extensions coming off of the dicor sealant used on the seam where the front cap meets the roof. I guess another good argument for those that replaced the dicor with eternabond.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We have not found a gutter extension that fits our 2003 Class C Minnie Winnie. We even bought one right at Winnebago that they assured us would fit, but alas, it doesn't.
Any other gutter extensions suggestions? That water pours over the front doors.

Leslie Mike 2003 Minnie Winnie Class C
Leslie Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

A may on irv2.com designed and makes his own design and is now selling them. You don't have to loosen the OEM gutter to install them. I can't remember his name nor locate his information on irv2.com
His design does not fit behind the OEM gutter rail, sure wish I could locate that information again.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
A may on irv2.com designed and makes his own design and is now selling them. You don't have to loosen the OEM gutter to install them. I can't remember his name nor locate his information on irv2.com
His design does not fit behind the OEM gutter rail, sure wish I could locate that information again.
They are listed in post #6.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, window