Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2016, 03:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Front window leak in 2002 Itasca Suncruiser

Good evening all. I have a leak in top of front window that drips down on the dash. Sealed for the time being but was told that the window needs to be removed and that there will be rust around the frame. I was told this is a quite common problem with Winnebago. Any ideas on cost of fixing frame rust and replacing seals on window and will insurance cover. Anyone have this issue? Thanks in advance.
Coopers Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Speaking from experience, I have had that very repair completed to our motorhome 2 years ago. No, insurance will not pay for the repair only the windshield if broken. The repair itself takes a little time. I was quoted $1500 to do the job if the front cap had to be moved back. They were able to loosen the cap enough to make room to grind the frame. ALL rust and the rust in the pits must be removed and then chemically treated. Then bondo is used and ground down. And then more chemical is used over the bondo. My job ended up costing me $900. It took a couple of weeks. Job completed in Sebring Florida.
Ret Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Too bad you aren't near Quartzite or Oregon area. Windshield magic guys are on top of this problem. Watch this on youtube--- (addressing winnebago itasca rusty windshield problems)
They have website-- http://windshieldmagic.com/
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:48 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopers Mom View Post
I have a leak in top of front window that drips down on the dash.

Any ideas on cost of fixing frame rust and replacing seals on window and will insurance cover. Anyone have this issue? Thanks in advance.
Assuming that you are referring to the windshield glass, yes, this is a very well-known issue, running over about 12 model years. I should say 'known issue' to owners, as Winnebago has always denied any knowledge of this problem to me.

Plenty of threads here if you search 'rusted windshield frames' and the like, going back over a few years. Costs can fluctuate quite a bit, and the biggest problem is if the glass company can remove the windshield glass without breaking it. Due to how the glass is installed and sealed to the windshield frame, the glass is frequently broken trying to remove it and greatly increases the cost to repair. It cost me $3,800 for my 'repair' and my father-in-law spent about the same on his; both of us had to replace all the glass. -RT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windshield Frame Rust.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	147317  
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I also have a 2002 Suncruiser and had the windshield replaced earlier this year, as both sides had cracks, although no leaks in my case. The cracks had happened at different times, however one side (driver side) became real bad, so I had both sides replaced. Since it was for windshield replacement, insurance covered a large part of it, minus deducible. Actually, two deductibles, as each side was considered a separate claim. I was told that insurance would not cover any excessive frame / rust repair, however after pulling the windshield, it was noted that rust was minimal and I was not charged any extra for frame repair, guess I was lucky on that. I do live in So. California, also I bought this unit used about 5 years ago and have no idea if the windshield has ever been replaced in the past. The total cost including glass, shipping, moldings, labor, etc. was about $3200, I only paid the deductible.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

You people are making me nervous. First thing I checked with this '02 Journey was whether or not I could spot any rust around or near the windshields. And it turns out that it's nearly impossible to tell without removing the windshields. Gah!

I did soon discover, during a heavy rainstorm, that I had a leak that dripped onto the dashboard in front of the driver. Nice little puddle on the dash. So after the sun came out, and everything dried, I got up on the roof and applied 4" Eternabond (EB) to the front and rear end cap seams. And a small EB cover over the outside running light that is positioned directly over where the puddle formed.

Since then, even during a heavy rainstorm, have seen no evidence of any window leak. But it has shown that there could be lots of rust. Just cannot tell from looking, even peeking in and up from the open hood doesn't really tell much. Nor does it help trying to lever the rubber back enough to peek down to the frame.

Wish we had some real numbers about how many owners have the problem of a rusted out frame. I doubt it's all of them but having no idea is not helpful. I like being prepared.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

'03 Horizon....cracked right windshield from the top twice within two years.
Second repairman (different) said I'd be right back with another crack within a year unless the rust buildup was removed. He spent a couple hours grinding and $150 later the rust was gone.
That was a year ago. Everything ok for now.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Who did the repairs in Florida please.

Thanks rich
stuberr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Good luck. I purchased a 2002 Suncruiser 35U this past December that had already had the $2k+ window frame repair but it did still have some leaks. I used Eternabond and so far so good.

If you remove the "rubber" molding (it's just pressed into a channel and easy to remove and replace), you should be able to get some idea of how bad the rust issue is. The rubber molding is primarily cosmetic and doesn't really seal anything so removing it and replacing it won't make things any worse. While you're at it, I suggest you clean out any silicone or other caulking that's probably been gooped in under the molding. I guarantee it's not helping.

If the rust isn't terrible and the Eternabond fix works. I'd hold off and it shouldn't get too much worse. If, as Dale R suggests, the rust does cause your windshields to crack, your repair will be cheaper.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:23 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I am not aware of the place in Florida that repairs the front window frame and a quick google search didn't turn up anything. Sorry. Someone will be by that knows and will let you know I'm sure.

For background info, I 'had' a front window leak in my '02 Journey, several actually. And I used after market gutter, vinyl tape, and Eternabond to pretty much seal up the front window.

Went though several downpours in Fairfield Iowa in July '18 while parked and saw no evidence of any more leaking. Later, did go through a rain storm on the road heading west and learned I have some more work to do on it as there was a leak while traveling 60 MPH that ended up on the dash, but overall, I'm happy with the results of the repairs I did.

You can see what I did on my blog post here: Weather Proofing, & Windows... | Chaos Leaves Town

Good luck with yours!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
You can see what I did on my blog post here: Weather Proofing, & Windows... | Chaos Leaves Town

Good luck with yours!
Good write-up and thanks for the tips about the gutters and wiper blades. I bookmarked your blog.

Given my experience and that of others, the $2k rust fix doesn't change the underlying design problem -- the coach didn't have any rust when it came from the factory.

One has to keep the water out, hence the Eternabond and everything else. Additionally, in sealing everything up, it's important to leave some way for water to escape or evaporate once it's found a way in. Don't ask me how to do this, I'm still trying to figure it out myself. The one thing I do know is, don't seal the inside bottom edge of the frame where the water is dripping down your windshield. That's just going to trap the moisture and accelerate the rusting. The trick is to keep it out in the first place.

I can't figure out why Winnebago has persisted with this obviously faulty design for so many years. Do other brands of RVs (and trucks) have similar problems?
Although my rig is 16 years old, it's not just age. I've seen reports on this from owners with rigs only a few years old.

One nice thing about having an older rig is that I'm not too concerned about the cosmetics of my leak prevention methods.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, leak, suncruiser, window