Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

When I picked up the RV on Mon.(first attempt at driving something this BIG I was unfamiliar with the handling. The front shocks seemed mushy to me and was wondering what could be the problem. I was told of a certain shock and my rig seem to have them. Any help would be appreciated.

(and Penni the dachshund)
sunnydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

When I picked up the RV on Mon.(first attempt at driving something this BIG I was unfamiliar with the handling. The front shocks seemed mushy to me and was wondering what could be the problem. I was told of a certain shock and my rig seem to have them. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

HI Sunnydays,

Let us know what you are driving, age of coach, make of chassis, etc. and I'm sure someone can give you some ideas.

John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Yahoo to docdavis
HI John, this is Rick, sunnydays hubby, it a 2006 38' Winnebago Adventurer, workhorse chassis
any help in this area would be appreciated.

06 Winnebago 38' Adventurer
docdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have a 38 T and the first few times I drove mine, it didn't seem that it had any shocks at all. I am told that they install an OEM quality of Blistein shocks. I guess it is ok until you cruise over some railroad tracks. This forum has given me a lot of information that I called Koni and asked them for the Koni FSD shocks. You can buy them directly from Koni at their website for 150.00 each. Just give them your rig information. They were very helpful with me. Now I have to find someone to install them. Koni website is www.koni.com . Everyone in this forum raves about them
Good luck

FireStarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info, Firestarter. We were told we had Bilstein shocks, too, and so were surprised we don't get a firmer ride. We'll check out the Koni site.

Rick and Carol Davis
and Penni the dachshund
2006 38J Adventure

Old 10-08-2007, 04:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FireStarter:
I have a 38 T and the first few times I drove mine, it didn't seem that it had any shocks at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why?? Beacuse the front rode rough and harsh or because it floundered up and down??

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sunnydays:
Thanks for the info, Firestarter. We were told we had Bilstein shocks, too, and so were surprised we don't get a firmer ride. We'll check out the Koni site.

Rick and Carol Davis
and Penni the dachshund
2006 38J Adventure </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check your tire pressures first as you could be underinflated. Start with what is posted on the tire sticker located in the drivers area and not the max inflation listed on the tires. Check all the simple things first as the problem with Bilstein is harsh and hard ride which you would soften up by going with the Koni.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

HI Rick,

Sounds like you are getting some good ideas. It has been a while since I had a gas coach, but, I did change out the shocks on my Journey to the Koni's and I am happy with the change in ride quality and handling. Good luck with yours.

John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:02 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:

Why?? Beacuse the front rode rough and harsh or because it floundered up and down??

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, It didn't ride rough or harsh nor did it flounder. I guess it just seems like it would bottom out whenever I would hit a bump or roll over a set of railroad tracks.

FireStarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #11

Who bought a Flounder?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Who bought a Flounder? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Coincidently when I wrote that I thought of the Flounder!

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:38 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the suggestions, all. We'll check the tire pressure too. The MH seems to have some "road play" and we don't yet know if it's just us as newbies or if there's definitely looseness with the shocks, etc. Hubby and I are frustrated at the moment because we took custody of the MH a week ago and both ended up having a very busy 2 week period come up and have to wait until this weekend to focus back on the rig. We are SO chomping at the bit to get going! We've schedule a short trip to Orlando early November and have to get going to pick up a car dolly/trailer. Which brings me to asking for advice on that issue. (Sorry for all the questions - we're still getting our minds around the change from a 5'er to MH). We'll be towing my '06 Lincoln Zephyr which is a front-wheel drive. I asked my dealership about towing it and they told me to use the full bed trailer to avoid damage. We're stuck on deciding to take the risk of towing with a dolly. The full-bed trailer raises issues of storage space and, more importantly, how do we push/pull that kind of weight by hand once it's unloaded. My car is on lease so we have no option about trading it in yet. Can anyone advise your personal experience with damage risks towing with a dolly? Funny enough, I used to pass MHs on the road towing the car on all 4s and wondered "why would someone put that wear on their car?" NOW I GET IT! lol

Carol and Rick Davis
06 Adventurer 38J