Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Front End Bounce

I have a 2004 38R, sometimes when travelling down a bumpy road the front end bounces like the bow of a boat traveling across choppy water. This behavior occurs whether the motorhome has 90 gal fresh water or not.

Does anyone have any idea how to 'practically' curb this behavior?
Ksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:38 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

When it bounces, I assume you mean that it is more like a rocking motion rather than the tires are not hopping up and down off the pavement. It sounds like you should look at your shock absorbers. Are they original to the coach since 2004? Has the oil leaked out of them? Also might not hurt to weigh your coach and see how the weight is distributed.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:39 PM   #3

Sounds like your shocks may need replacing?

These are not very expensive and you will like the new ride and feel over the stock shocks. I would also replace all 4 if this is a good time, but for sure replace both front shocks on this repair. Also, I don't think you have to spend the money on Koni or other so call "better shocks." This is because all shock manufactures have improved their design and functionality and performance.

My diesel pusher shocks went out in the front last summer and I went with Monroe, because that's all the Freightliner dealer had and I did not want to wait 3 days to source another highly rated shock. And it turns out like the Monroe ride better! ...I.e., its smoother on the flats and handles the same in the corners. Time will tell, but at $125 for each Monroe shock I'm happy.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote