Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2005, 07:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I purchased a new 2005 Sightseer 29R this past summer. It has 2,539 miles on it.

I was told by the salesman to have the front end alignment checked after the rig was loaded. He said the motor home was aligned by Ford but Winnebago didn't make adjustments after they added the weight of the coach. After two trips I felt the rig was loaded so I took it in for alignment this week. They added wedges to both sides of the front axle to get enough travel to adjust the camber. It is now within factory specs.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I purchased a new 2005 Sightseer 29R this past summer. It has 2,539 miles on it.

I was told by the salesman to have the front end alignment checked after the rig was loaded. He said the motor home was aligned by Ford but Winnebago didn't make adjustments after they added the weight of the coach. After two trips I felt the rig was loaded so I took it in for alignment this week. They added wedges to both sides of the front axle to get enough travel to adjust the camber. It is now within factory specs.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

JD & Kathy
Old 09-30-2005, 02:13 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I had mine aligned shortly after I got it also. I think it pretty much standard requirement to do so after the rig is loaded.
Mine
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 05:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you bought a new Winnebago there should have been a hang tag on the gear shift stating to have the coach aligned after loading and that this hang tag was to be removed by the purchaser ONLY. If the tag was missing your dealer removed it in violation of Winnebago's PDI procedure.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 05:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

"If you bought a new Winnebago there should have been a hang tag on the gear shift stating to have the coach aligned after loading and that this hang tag was to be removed by the purchaser ONLY. If the tag was missing your dealer removed it in violation of Winnebago's PDI procedure."

No tag on anything nor did I see a tag in all the paperwork they gave me.

JD & Kathy
Old 09-30-2005, 06:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Winne does align the coach before leaving. However, the owner's manual normally tells you to have the coach aligned after you load the coach nrmally as it changes the height therefore the alignment. for what it is worth, most coaches tell you the same thing.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

We are currently at the Freightliner factory in Gaffney, SC and this morning had the alignment checked on our new coach. Yes - we were out of spec a little especially on toe-in. FTL drove the coach after the alignment and said everything was okay. I am a believer that the alignment should be checked at least once in your coach ownership.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We drove our brand new SightSeer 29R for about 200 miles before taking it in for a front end alignment. I can't believe how much better it handles after several "significant" adjustments were made by the alignment technician.

Getting the front end alignment check was a good idea for us. At $85 it isn't cheap, but the better quality steering is worth it.