Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Forza Storage Compartment Door Issue - Recall?

We have been battling the "storage doors popping open" since we bought the unit.

Dealer adjusted the doors, but this did not work. We couldn't drive it more than a few miles and find another door open. It appears to only be the doors "between the wheels" on either side, and randomly which one opens.

My temporary fix was to install stainless steel cables to prevent them from opening up and hitting other vehicles or obstacles.

My next fix was to install a secondary "rubber latch" on the bottom of the doors. Now they still pop open, but the latch keeps them from opening all the way.

I recently found yesterday on the NHTSA website that a recall has been initiated to correct the issue. I contacted my dealer and he hasn't heard about it.

Have any other Forza owners had this problem, and has it been corrected on the recall?
Old 08-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

i too am a new forza owner. the possibility of a baggage door flying open while driving scares me.
my understanding is that the problem is with the plastic door latches that can easily break or wear out. here's a link to purchase metal versions of the door latches:
https://www.motorhomelatches.com/pro...KVIPF5ZPOHOm7g

there's also a forza/soleil user group on facebook that has knowledge about this problem. last i heard, winnebago had agreed to issue a service bulletin to replace the door latches at their expense. it might have something to do with a class action suit that was pending. so far i have not received anything from winnebago.

hope this helps.
hansel49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have an ‘18 Forza 36G. We’ve had nothing but problems with the doors opening and things falling out! Our dealer adjusted the doors while it was under the 1 Year full warranty. It’s scary in traffic. We worry about the doors hitting other vehicles!!
JDove22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

My coach is a 2019 Forza 38F. We have the same problem. Winnebago has acknowledged there is a problem with the door latches as of a couple of weeks ago. The plastic latches are being replaced with metal latches to be installed by the dealer.

I am not an attorney, but we may be responsible for any damages caused by equipment falling out of an open storage compartment. Be careful. La Mesa RV service, Davis, CA, says use bungie cords to hold the door shut. Also, if we were to go outside the dealer to fix the doors, they will not pay for the repair of the doors.
Papa Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We have a Forza 38F and we are fulltimers. We have had problems since we took possession of the coach. All of our latches have been replaced twice, under warrenty, and our last latch problem was on the passenger side. The third bay door opened on the freeway and as my husband was pulling over to the side of the road, it swung open all the way and hit a mile marker sign. We had a beautiful indentation of the sign on the bay door, and we lost our step stool somewhere on the prairies of Kansas. Winnebago sent us a replacement latch, metal, and since we're under warrenty, they are fixing the bay door. And replacing all of our latches with metal latches.
megthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by setaylor216 View Post
We have been battling the "storage doors popping open" since we bought the unit.

Dealer adjusted the doors, but this did not work. We couldn't drive it more than a few miles and find another door open. It appears to only be the doors "between the wheels" on either side, and randomly which one opens.

My temporary fix was to install stainless steel cables to prevent them from opening up and hitting other vehicles or obstacles.

My next fix was to install a secondary "rubber latch" on the bottom of the doors. Now they still pop open, but the latch keeps them from opening all the way.

I recently found yesterday on the NHTSA website that a recall has been initiated to correct the issue. I contacted my dealer and he hasn't heard about it.

Have any other Forza owners had this problem, and has it been corrected on the recall?
We’ve received an “Interim Recall Notice” for this, I suppose meaning that an official recall will be issued soon. Good thing, because if this isn’t remedied soon, I’m trading this thing in! It’s nerve wracking to have to keep checking the doors and stopping every hour or so ( often in very inconvenient spots) to slam 2 or 3 doors shut. Distracting to have other drivers waving and honking at you and pointing to your compartment doors! We’ve had the dealership adjust the doors twice, to no avail.
MCRom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I finally received my interim recall notice as well. In the mean time, I have also installed "hood latches" to the bottom of all the doors "between the wheels". That way when one pops open, it stays shut.

When they replace the latches, I plan on leaving these on for peace of mind.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-09-2019, 07:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

have 2016 forza 34 T One door with this problem, behind passenger rear wheel. I adjusted it twice ,but will come open if pulled. Hope to see my letter soon. Will not be back until Nov to get it repaired.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:51 AM   #9
Wandering Two

Just finished having service done here at the Forest City service center. They replaced all of the latches on the basement doors. However, the tech claimed to know nothing about a recall. I'm just glad to have metal latches instead of nylon. Some of the new latches are tough to open, so I think I'm going to have to do a little adjusting to get everything right.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Was at the Hersey , Pa R V show this week. Talked to rep from Winnebago about this problem. He said that he didn't know about a recall, but he did say that there is a problem,and they were working on a fix , plastic latches were failing and metal latches are working for some,and said to talk with my service writer when I take it in,and by that time, something might be in the works. Really a yes and no answer and thanks all in one. Was a nice show with plenty of time to talk to reps from the industry.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:24 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I have had the same issue with our 2018 Forza 34T. Obe of the compartments swung open due to a broken latch on the grade down to Jackson Hole..pretty hairy! I was able to find a replacement latch and repair it myself. All you need is a drill to carefully remove the pop rivets and a screwdriver. The replacement latch comes with sheet metel screws which are much easier to replace than the factory installed rivets. I called Winnebago last month and they confirmed that there is a recall in process, but they are waiting until they have enough inventory to meet the supply demand of replacement latch which now have a metal flange. Since I live several hundred miles from my dealer, the Winnebago Rep sent me several of the new latches to replace myself and an installation guide for proper adjustment. If you do it yourself, just take your time and whatever you do don't loose the little spring that will fly off the handle as you disassemble it from the rod inside the compartment housing.
Battalion 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:26 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Forza Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battalion 12 View Post
I have had the same issue with our 2018 Forza 34T. Obe of the compartments swung open due to a broken latch on the grade down to Jackson Hole..pretty hairy! I was able to find a replacement latch and repair it myself. All you need is a drill to carefully remove the pop rivets and a screwdriver. The replacement latch comes with sheet metel screws which are much easier to replace than the factory installed rivets. I called Winnebago last month and they confirmed that there is a recall in process, but they are waiting until they have enough inventory to meet the supply demand of replacement latch which now have a metal flange. Since I live several hundred miles from my dealer, the Winnebago Rep sent me several of the new latches to replace myself and an installation guide for proper adjustment. If you do it yourself, just take your time and whatever you do don't loose the little spring that will fly off the handle as you disassemble it from the rod inside the compartment housing.
Who did you contact at Winnebago? We dropped ours off 3 weeks ago to our dealer (Campers Inn) along with a list of issues (after calling Winnebago to verify coverage) I picked it up today and the only thing that had been completed was the Gen service I paid for!!
JDove22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:50 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

I spoke with Nicholas at customer care at corporate headquarters. If you are under warranty the dealer may be the problem. I would call Winnebago and have them contact your dealer. Sometimes you have to push the communication between the two. Good luck!
Battalion 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:59 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We are having the same problems . Dealer did adjustments and did not work . Door are VERY hard to close and pop open at anytime. Scary !
Tom Ficca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:30 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I just received "2nd Interim Recall Notice" in the mail. It states that the new latches ordered for the original recall did not meet their performance expectations and need to be redesigned. Goes on to say this process could add 6 months' wait time for parts.
We'll receive a 3rd recall notice when the parts become available.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:13 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Recall letter

We got ours on Saturday
Old 01-15-2020, 09:52 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Received my second notice yesterday. Luckily the interim door latches I put on are working, it's just a hassle before we leave and when we arrive to unlatch them. But they work.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:10 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Spoke with Winnebago customer service on 7/27/2020 and I get the feeling they have no intention of repairing this problem. They tell me that they are still working on a replacement latch witch I think is B/S ! It should not take more that a year and a half to replace this faulty design ! I was not at all happy with the conversation I had with them !!!!!!!!!!! Called dealer also and they could care less also ! We are VERY UNHAPPY campers !
Old 07-29-2020, 10:12 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

How would we place the cords ? I don't see any where to hook them up without damaging the paint .
Old 07-29-2020, 01:19 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I installed these on each door "between the wheels". Latch is mounted to the bottom of the door, and strap is mounted on the bottom of the compartment floor with an aluminum square "shim" so it's flush with the door. Used SS bolts/nuts.

It works well but it's just a hassle to do double on each door when you leave for a trip, and set up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tags
door, recall, storage