Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Former Tiffin Owners

Our Tiffin Phaeton was destroyed in an arson fire approximately 3 years ago. It left a terrible taste for the past few years. We are now ready to jump in again as we are reaching retirement age.

We are looking at the 40 ft Tiffin Allegro Bus, and the Winnebago Grand Tour. We drove them both last week. We really liked the tag axle on the Grand Tour and the look of the coach in general. I believe there will be approximately 35K difference in price.

Looking for any feedback on Quality control on the Winnebago model. We did own an Adventurer before we moved to the Phaeton. Tiffin is a great company with a great owner, but we did have several QC issues, and I realize that there will always be issues, but am looking for how Winnebago owners feel about their coaches.
LarryAck57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We are current owners of a 2002 Adventurer and we can't wait for the day when we "upgrade". The Winnebago has been great don't get me wrong. Our dream coach is the Phaeton (or even better the Allegro Bus)! We have toured both the Winnebago and Tiffin factories. I'm not sure there is much difference when it come to quality although I think the fit and finish on the Tiffin is better (my opinion). I enjoyed the Tiffin tour much more because they allowed us to interact with the workers and ask all kinds of questions.

For us, it comes down to service during the ownership period and the value the coach will hold if and when we decide to sell. The Tiffin reputation still stands tall!
jdefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2002 Itasca suncruiser which I like a lot and I have toured the winnebego plant and it is impressive but that being said there are a lot of people who have had quality control problems with winnebago. Mr tiifin is still around and seems to take quality issues seriously. The founders of winnebego are gone and the management is more interested in making a profit than pleasing customers. When the one year warranty is up which is a weak warranty in my opinion they give nothing away.even if 1/2 the time was spent in storage. It was probably better when the person who started winnebego was still alive he was more protective of his name. Winnebago is not the only company to suffer from this impersonal treatment of customers.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The factory of Winnebago is not my issue!
The dealerships are. There is no communication
between the sales and the service departments.
Winnebago has fixed several thing on my coach that were out of warranty.
Didn't have to wait for several weeks either . Make a "appointment", !
I was in and out in 4 days..
SEE SIG.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Before you decide between Winnebago & Tiffin, check out Newmar's line of coaches. You might just change your mind.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

🎓 I always think I know more than I actually do! I'm not a 🚀 scientist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. 🏩
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

newmar is another example like tiffin the original family runs it. Of course newmar is building 20 motorhomes a day winnebago is building 100 in forest city. Its probably easier to keep quality up with smaller numbers
Old 07-07-2015, 12:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for all your replies. Love the tag axle on the 42 and I don't want to go 45 on the Bus, but I am concerned that Winnebago's QC leaves you holding the bag a little more the Tiffin, since as some posters said, the family owners are still around.
LarryAck57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

For us, our first RV was a used 2001 Winnie, 27P, Class C, 68K mileage when we bought it, 1-owner, Ford V10. A year later we knew we loved the freedom travel by RV provides on so many levels. We decided we wanted to travel longer periods of time and it was time to buy a DP. We wanted a "new" DP to start us in our first pusher w all warranties that came as part of buying it 'new.'

Because our Winnie was absolutely trouble-free (even after 12 yrs old!), and because we knew WBG had full parts / schematic system info available on-line WBG had to be on our list of mfr finalist. We drove Tiffin Allegro Red, we drove Newmar Ventana (*that was prior to Comfort Drive being available on Ventana level DP).

And then... We drove two different Winnebago Journey MH (40U, 36M). We chose a 36M and it has lived up to all our expectations, floorplan, wide aisle space when slides retracted, fit, finish, ride, mpg, Forest City service visits..and having on-line & interactive parts and CAD type schematics ...still very happy now in our 3rd summer travels in a DP.

Nothing negative to say about WBG, Journey 36M, and lots of praise for everyone at Forest City.

We did tour WBG factory, but not until after we had the Journey 1 yr. It was worth seeing where both the Winnebagos we own/owned were 'born.'

Now, we are looking for our next coach, we want to move up to a tag axle and bath 1/2. Yes, we have WBG Tour, Gr Tour, Ellipse, Ellipse Ultra on the list. We like the QD floorplans, and have had great experience w two Winnebagos.

We also toured Newmar (we like MADP), and Entegra (we like CS) plants this year, and still plan to visit American Coach (we like Tradition) for a tour soon, too. We have a lot of research yet to do before we make a final choice.

Everyone has pros & cons for any mfr, and we are impressed with 2016 changes to DP chassis w Newmar, impressed w all we read about 2016 Entegra CS. WBG 2016 info isn't out just yet, and we still want to visit the Am Coach plant for a tour.

We are sure whatever coach mfr you ultimately choose, there are many well made MH with excellent customer support for you. Enjoy the search

Safe Travels to All
BeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin