Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2022, 08:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Ford f53 Warranty

I purchased a new Adventurer 35f in January. We really like the coach. However, we have an issue that I'm trying to get some clarification on. While I was performing some maintenance recently I noticed that the differential housing was discolored and there was an oil leak. The discoloration appears to be from excessive heat. A drop or two on the driveway and some "blow back" oil on the underside in back of the differential are visible. I have previous posts about this issue and the recall to repair faulty differentials. My unit VIN was apparently not part of that recall.

I finally got the MH to a repair facility about 25 miles from home after finding it very tough to find a shop that would take it.. The procedure for getting repairs done is, IMO, unacceptable. Essentially, after the claim was submitted to Ford, their procedure is that the CS agent completes the claim documents and within 2 or 3 days they forward the claim application to the technical staff that makes a decision if it's a warranty issue or not. That process apparently also takes 2 or 3 days. The decision is forwarded back to the CS agent who, again, takes 2 or 3 days to notify the owner/repair shop of the decision. At that point, the repair shop does the inspection, identifies the work to be done, including identifying the Ford parts including part number and sends the CS agent a "pre-invoice" with the above details included. Again, the CS agent reviews the docs information 3 days and forwards to the technicians for approval.

I guess I'm lucky that I'm not on the road headed to our next vacation. If I'm correct, the approval process takes at least 8 days! Then. The work gets done, and however long that takes. What do you do to wait out the process? We are essentially living in the rv! What to do?

Am I even close on my interpretation of the warranty claim process? I have a new Winnebago with less than 5,000 miles on it. With a "bumper to bumper " 5 year/50,000 mile warranty. I would have expected that as soon as the repair shop mentions any drive train component it would be a slam dunk.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202235f View Post
I I have a new Winnebago with less than 5,000 miles on it. With a "bumper to bumper " 5 year/50,000 mile warranty. I would have expected that as soon as the repair shop mentions any drive train component it would be a slam dunk.
I think you may be mistaken about your warranty.

You have warranty from Ford on the chassis. Typically those are 3-yrs or 36,000 mi. But the process of getting repairs under that warranty is totally Fords and there is no commitment to effecting repairs quickly.

You have a separate warranty on the house part of your RV from Winnebago, which typically is for one year or 12,000 mi. Though there was a period when sales were down that they temporarily extended that time.

Along with that, many times RVers also purchase an extended service contract for 5 years/50,000 mi but it’s not a warranty, nor is it bumper to bumper no matter how common it is for service contract salespeople to spout things like, ”It’s basically bumper to bumper.”

Irregardless, it’s a real bummer about your RV and I’m sure we all hope that this gets rectified in less time, with less hassle.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Creative, with all due respect,if my Ford warranty is 36,000 or 50,000, it's still covered. The chassis has less than 5,000 miles on. It. Whatever the issues are, the chassis is under Ford warranty at this point.

I never mentioned the Winninnebago warranty in my post. I do understand that the "box" on top of the chassis is covered under the Winnebago warranty. My beef is with Ford, not Winnebago.

My post was what I hoped would be an invitation to other Winnebago owners that may have had different experiences with Ford Customer Service.
Old 08-12-2022, 09:31 AM   #4
Site Team

I'm sorry if my post came off strong. We get new RVers here that think their RV has a bumper to bumper warranty just like a car and they need to know that no such thing exists in the RV world.

I doubt you'll find anyone having more luck with their Ford chassis warranty. Most are not even able to find any Ford branded outlet that will even take a look at their motorhome. While it may not seem like it - you are massively lucky that you found someone that will work on your issue and they are only 25 miles from your home.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that this situation with motorhomes and Ford is acceptable, because it's not. It's just the reality all of us live with at this time.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Creative.

Yes, I am grateful that I found a facility so close. I'm holding final thoughts until I get my MH back home, fixed. Tony's is an independent repair facility. I could not find a Ford branded repair center near me. The Ford web site shows only 2 in the greater Columbia SC area. Neither of them will work on the F53 chassis.
What I was hoping for is that someone here might have had a better experience and could point me in the right direction.
It appears that probably isn't going to happen. Reality is biting me where I sit down. This should not be happening.

Thanks again for your input!
Old 08-12-2022, 10:25 AM   #6
Site Team

Ford sells this chassis for other uses, i.e. dump trucks, ambulances, moving and delivery trucks. Those buyers use the commercial large fleet dealers for service. And, while many of those will work on those F53-based trucks most still won't work on motorhomes with the same chassis.
Old 08-12-2022, 12:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

My two year old 1999 F53 transmission imploded and went into limp mode, tha was in 2002. I limped at 45 mph for 30 miles to Idaho Falls Ford. In 1/2 hour they said it'll be covered and if they had a tranny in Salt lake, Ut, they could have tomorrow. Otherwise it would come from San Francisco in 2 days or LA in 4 days. Ends up coming from LA and in 6 days I was "on the road again". I guess those were the good old days.

I recommend posting on the Ford Chassis Forum of the iRV2 (LINK), a sister site to this site. Right now I see 105 viewing that forum. You will get a lot more replies and experienced suggestions. Just copy-n-paste and start a new thread there.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 08-15-2022, 03:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Off-topic, on the Ford F53 forum of irv2.com I posted a link to the Ford F53 and F 59 chassis recall, it affects ALL 2022 F53 models.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202235f View Post
Creative, with all due respect,if my Ford warranty is 36,000 or 50,000, it's still covered. The chassis has less than 5,000 miles on. It. Whatever the issues are, the chassis is under Ford warranty at this point.

I never mentioned the Winninnebago warranty in my post. I do understand that the "box" on top of the chassis is covered under the Winnebago warranty. My beef is with Ford, not Winnebago.

My post was what I hoped would be an invitation to other Winnebago owners that may have had different experiences with Ford Customer Service.
I think we've all suffered from the Ford service on F53 chassis syndrome at one time or another. It is very bothersome and not what you would expect. IMHO, Winnebago and other gasser manufacturers should have a pow-wow with Ford about whether the F53 is a good fit. Yes, unlikely, I know.

FWIW, we have had success, 202235f, in getting our 2012 Suncruiser 37f serviced at our local Caterpillar dealer near Rock Hill, believe it or not. Not only F53 work, but also on the Itasca body also. Bear in mind, they don't really do a lot of heavy-lift type stuff on the MH body, but they are good for smaller stuff. Our unit is well out of warranty anyhow. I trust them better than Camping World by a long shot and unfortunately, our last remaining local RV repair shop went to Mobile Only work. Last I saw, Blanchard had some MH's sitting out in the yard awaiting service. It's been a while since we needed anything, but it's Blanchard Caterpillar and they are just south of Rock Hill off of highway 901 and I-77. You can see it from I-77. I know there are some Blanchard locations near Columbia also.
landcruisers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53, ford