Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2021, 11:41 AM   #1
Let's kill some bugs!

Ford F53 V10 versus Godzilla V8 comparison

I own a 2018 F53 V10 in a Winnebago 32' Vista. It's been a good motor, but we're considering an upgrade to an Adventurer with the new V8 motor and upgraded F53 chassis.
I'm hoping someone in this forum has owned a motorhome using a late model (2015 or newer) Ford F53 with V10, and recently upgraded to a similar length RV (similar weight) using the Ford Godzilla V8.
The Ford specs for HP and torque from both motors are close, with the V8 having slightly more HP (350 vs 320HP). I'm wondering if it's a noticeable increase in power or MPG with the V8. Or does it seem the same?
One thing that's significant in the motor specs is the max torque rating on the V8 is 468ft-lbs at 3900RPM, and the torque rating on the V10 is 460 ft-lbs at 3000RPM. This implies the V8 would want to climb steeper hills at a higher RPM. Is this correct? Higher RPM would imply more noise from the motor, which is a concern when climbing hills.
If there's anyone with experience on this comparison, please let me know your thoughts.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 01:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have the new V8 on my 2021 Thor Axis and I love it. The peak torque comparison is misleading because for the V8 the torque is flat from about 1,500 rpm to 4,000 rpm. So it does not imply that the V8 would want to climb steeper hills at a higher RPM.

David
Old 11-20-2021, 01:55 PM   #3
Site Team

The new F53 chassis engines have a couple of serious recalls/issues on the earliest production models. I'm confident that both of these issues have been resolved in later production but I don't know when, exactly, that took place.

If I was buying one I would want to know when the production included the fixed rear differential fluid issue and the resolved spark plug wire issue to be sure to get a chassis built AFTER those things were fully corrected in production.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:05 PM   #4
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
I have the new V8 on my 2021 Thor Axis and I love it. The peak torque comparison is misleading because for the V8 the torque is flat from about 1,500 rpm to 4,000 rpm. So it does not imply that the V8 would want to climb steeper hills at a higher RPM.

David
Thanks for your reply, good to hear. Do you have experience with a Ford F53 with V10 before you bought the 8V?
Old 11-20-2021, 02:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Locke View Post
Thanks for your reply, good to hear. Do you have experience with a Ford F53 with V10 before you bought the 8V?
No F53 V10 experience. Google Ford V10 vs V8 comparisons. Lots of articles and some comparisons.

David
Old 11-21-2021, 12:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We had a 2017 Winnebago sun star 29b equipped with the v10. We now have a 2021 Winnebago adventurer 29b equipped with the v8. Exact same floor plan exact same length. Though the adventurer is a little heavier than the sun star, but not by much. I would say there is a difference between the v10 and the v8.
The v8’s motor and transmission holds its rpms better climbing up mountains and has more off the line and overall highway cruising power. In my opinion the motor is smoother and a bit quieter. I’d say over all there is a considerable difference and we are much happier with the v8 and paired transmission all around. Highway cruising, mountain climbing, city driving and back roads cruising is smoother and more responsive. We get between 8.5mpg and 7.5 mpg with the v8 fully loaded all gear and water.
In the 5 months we have been cruising around the north east we have put around 9,000 miles on or Adventurer. We have experienced about every driving condition and terrain there is except snow. We average 2-3 days in one place boondock A LOT and do not tow a car. We also very rarely take an interstate highway, mainly small back country roads and state routes. We left Virginia/North Carolina a week ago and B lined it to Florida on the I-95. The V8 was awesome overtaking slower traffic and semis with ease on the fast paced southern I-95.Overall tops speeds were definitely quieter and smoother with the v8.
Cake sniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 04:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

That's good to hear, particularly since yours is a true apples-to-apples comparison. What, if anything, do you notice in the ride as it relates to the chassis? My understanding is the chassis (suspension and handling) has also been improved beyond just the motor. Interested to hear what you have found?
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The ride is completely different as well. There’s not as much sway along the whole coach. It just feels tighter. You still feel semis when they wip past but it’s not half as bad, especially in the front. I did have a Henderson stabilizer installed in the rear of the adventurer. The sun star had a front stabilizer and rear stabilizer bar, though not the Henderson brand . I did not install a steering stabilizer in the front or upgrade the shocks in my 2021 adventurer like other folks here recommend. The dealer told me it handles better than the 2017 sun star in the front and I should drive it a bit and see. With that being said even though it does handle better, i will be adding upgraded shocks and a front steering stabilizer for added comfort and handling when we get home in....January or February or ??? I also find myself driving with one hand or with fingers more with this coach than the 2017. Of course road condition and pavement condition do dictate how hard I’m holding onto the wheel as well, but overall much easier and more responsive. The rear end/axle even looks a little beefier on the 2021 compared to the 2017.
Old 11-21-2021, 09:19 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake sniffer View Post
I did have a Henderson stabilizer installed in the rear of the adventurer. The sun star had a front stabilizer and rear stabilizer bar, though not the Henderson brand
When you stay "stabilizer" are you meaning "anti-roll bar"? Because there are steering stabilizers, but no rear stabilizer. There's front and rear anti-roll bars, or sometimes called roll bars or sway bars.

There are front and rear track bars, but the F53 comes with a front track bar from the factory.

I'm just trying to figure out what you are referring to as a "rear stabilizer."
Old 11-22-2021, 11:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

It most certainly would be anti-sway bar or sway bar i was referring to when I said “I installed a Henderson stabilizer”. The dealer added the Henderson Line Up anti sway bar or sway bar to the rear. I’m going to have Henderson Line Up add another sway bar to the front when we return west.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I've heard from some that the 10 speed transmission is constantly hunting. This would make sense and would cause a tiresome driving experience. Add more weight with a toad or boat and it will really shift around. I can't speak from experience but I towed my boat once with a borrowed truck that had a hemi and a 5 or 6 speed and it was a handful. I ended up manually selecting a gear and it helped a little. BTW, I love my '08 F-53 with the V-10.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:23 PM   #12
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
No F53 V10 experience. Google Ford V10 vs V8 comparisons. Lots of articles and some comparisons.

David
I did all pretty lame, IMHO. any comparison video or article you liked in particular?
Old 11-24-2021, 08:25 PM   #13
Site Team

In reviewing the Winnebago Chassis Specifications, both the F53 and the Class Cs use the 6-speed transmission. That one has even shift increments, and has very good manners. The Godzilla Horsepower output on the F53 Chassis is not specified, but on the Class Cs it is just 350 HP. I suspect the limit on the Class C is due to heat build-up in the relatively small dog house, but that is a guess. I have seen in the truck applications that the Godzilla is tuned-up to 430 HP.
Eagle5
Old 11-25-2021, 06:54 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
BTW, I love my '08 F-53 with the V-10.
If you love that then you really need to move up to a post-2015 F53 with the 6-speed transmission. I’ve had both and it’s a huge improvement.

Also, as Eagle5 correctly noted, the V8 F53 has the 6-speed not the 10-speed.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:00 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
In reviewing the Winnebago Chassis Specifications, both the F53 and the Class Cs use the 6-speed transmission. That one has even shift increments, and has very good manners. The Godzilla Horsepower output on the F53 Chassis is not specified, but on the Class Cs it is just 350 HP. I suspect the limit on the Class C is due to heat build-up in the relatively small dog house, but that is a guess. I have seen in the truck applications that the Godzilla is tuned-up to 430 HP.
Eagle5
According to - https://www.ford.com/commercial-truc...f53-motorhome/

Horsepower (SAE net@rpm) 350 hp @ 3,900 rpm
Torque (lb.-ft. @rpm) 468 lb-ft @ 3,900 rpm
Old 11-25-2021, 11:08 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
If you love that then you really need to move up to a post-2015 F53 with the 6-speed transmission. I’ve had both and it’s a huge improvement.

Also, as Eagle5 correctly noted, the V8 F53 has the 6-speed not the 10-speed.
Agree with the tranny - the 6 speed is much better "tuned". I have a 2017 and recently found that I need to likely have an update done to mine for downshifting help on hills. I think I have the early software version as it's a 2016 chassis. Now to find the time for a 10-minute computer hookup. Not even sure my local dealer would be willing to do it - I have to believe it's done on a port in the engine compartment and no need to get on a lift and can be done in a parking lot.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:38 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I have a Adventurer 29b 2022, 6k miles, pulling a toad. We had to drive in the M transmission mode to get home on the last trip. In Drive it was like the transmission wouldn’t downshift. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Popps17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 03:41 PM   #18
Site Team

Greetings Popps17,
Sorry, but I think you have stumped the band on this one. I cannot find that failure listed on our web site. Better make an appointment with a Ford dealership to get that fixed.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 10-23-2022, 03:50 PM   #19
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps17 View Post
I have a Adventurer 29b 2022, 6k miles, pulling a toad. We had to drive in the M transmission mode to get home on the last trip. In Drive it was like the transmission wouldn’t downshift. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Sorry to hear your trans is broke. I hadn't heard that problem with the V8 platform before. Please keep us posted on the resolution to the problem, and if Ford warranties the fix OK.

My 2018 Winnebago V10 Vista has been doing great. I have 38K miles on it now and I'm very happy with the performance, given the V10 displacement in my F53. However, I'm always interested in something better.

Regarding the handling dept that was mentioned, I was surprised to hear the new V8 platform needed better Anti-Sway bars. I thought they fixed that problem.

My 2018 Vista behaved poorly when I first got it. It wouldn't track straight, and it leaned too much in turns. Most people start with replacing shocks, then adding a steering stabilizer, mainly because they are the cheapest add-ons. But I didn't think that's the right solution. I took a different approach and replaced the front anti-sway bar with a RoadMaster heavy duty anti-sway bar. In addition, I added a RoadMaster heavy duty anti-sway bar on the rear axle to aid the stock anti-sway bar. Yes, I have two sway bars in the back. I didn't need a steering stabilizer, or new shocks. I didn't want the ride to be stiffer going down the highway, so HD shocks was not desired IMO. The addition of the RoadMaster anti-sway bars ($2200 installed), along with a front end alignment turned my 32' rig into a go-kart for handling. No more leaning driving through twisty mountain roads, and the effects from side wind was improved greatly. Best of all, it tracks straight now.

I often drive one handed with my arm resting on the chair armrest. I'm impressed with the improvement using HD anti-sway bars, plus the alignment. It handles pretty now, considering it's a gasser that weighs only 19,000lbs.

I tow a 2013 Honda CRV all the time. I get 7 to 8.5 mpg, depending on the hills. However, I did reprogram the EMC with a performance program that improved the power and shift points. It's hard to measure accurately, but I think that helped the mileage about .5mpg, and it also helped the power, which I notice when climbing hills. That was BrazelsRV.com Ultrapower programming kit ($500).
Old 10-23-2022, 05:50 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

I do need two hands on the steering wheel all the time. I am not sure what’s next to improve the steering. My last vehicle was a 2016 class C with the V10, but do prefer the power of the v8. At least it seems that way. I will call Ford Motorhome again tomorrow to see where they recommend I take it. Last Friday both Winnebago and Ford connected me with a live person quickly.
Popps17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53, ford, v10