Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-23-2022, 06:11 PM   #21
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps17 View Post
I do need two hands on the steering wheel all the time. I am not sure what’s next to improve the steering. My last vehicle was a 2016 class C with the V10, but do prefer the power of the v8. At least it seems that way. I will call Ford Motorhome again tomorrow to see where they recommend I take it. Last Friday both Winnebago and Ford connected me with a live person quickly.
There are several brands of steering stabilizers/dampeners that help considerably. I installed the Roadmaster.
Old 10-24-2022, 12:11 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

We switched from a 2014 Winnie Vista 26HE to a 2018 29VE and there is quite a difference in the newer rig having the transmission and V10 engine upgrades as mentioned it hangs a bit longer and is not hunting for another gear.. We had to do the chassis modifications ...front HD swaybar and the additional bar in the rear makes the rig MUCH easier and safer to drive. My mileage is right at 7 mpg towing a car dolly..Owning an RV is a constant / occasional maintenance event but overall we have been very happy with this rig.
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 05:15 PM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

I asked Ford Motorhome To find a place that would service me. They did call me back with a place near San Antonio about three hours away. We live in Houston. I called and confirmed their willingness. In about two weeks I will drive it over there. Once my warranty period is over, I will start spending money enhancing the drive.
Popps17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 06:02 PM   #24
Proud “No Intent” Owner

You all got me looking back at my MPG numbers...

We have a 27' class A, 2018 with the V10. Starting with a full tank of gas, we drove the 425 miles home on I5 in CA, we got exactly 9.08 MPG and the rig was empty except for the wife and me. I was traveling 70 MPH for half of that time. But I keep exacting details, and overall we average 6.858131075 MPG now that we're at max GVWR (16,000# chases). If we take into consideration the fuel used by the generator, est. at .6 gal/hour, that means the actual driving MPG are higher, at 7.809755256 MPG.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 4.30.36 PM.png
Views:	21
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	184519  
Old 10-24-2022, 06:22 PM   #25
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I've heard of the Cam sensor on the new engine being problematic as well:

"FORD F53 2020 - 2021 F53 (22,000lb) Motorhome with 7.3L gas V8 engine issue.
FYI for future reference.
This is for experienced mechanics and for general information if you have these symptoms.
Problem with Ford 2020 and 2021 7.3L gas engine.
Symptoms.
1. Hard starting and long cranking to start.
2. Not starting at all
3. Erratic gauge activity/movement with rpm and speedometer.
4. When stopping and putting in park will get engine light
5. Reduce gas mileage
6. Ruff or missing of engine at idle.
OBDIII Error codes were
P015
P017
P0316
Both related to Cam Positioning Module and the ECM
Which I cleared if I was unable to start or got an engine dash light on.
Has cleared problem until next stop and restart.
I have driven for about two weeks (1,200 miles) with these issues and unable to get into any Ford dealer to check.
It is a known problem with these sensors going bad.
After talking with 3 different Ford Technician and a district Ford Manager they felt confident that the problem was my Cam Positioning sensor module going bad or was bad.
They have seen a high number of 7.3L gas engines with this sensor fail so I felt confident it was my problem also.
Because I didn't want to get stranded, I decided to purchase a new sensor from Ford.
Ford part # KR3Z-6B288-A (made in Mexico)
With 11mm socket and extension was able to remove the one bolt easily. Sensor was located on the front of the engine above the crankshaft pulley. Has a 3 wire plug with lock that was easy to unplug after removing the bolt and sensor from the engine block.
We installed the new sensor this morning and cleared the two error codes as I mentioned above with my OBDIII reader device.
Reference Only"
Old 10-25-2022, 08:02 AM   #26
Site Team

I started with a steering stabilizer - I got the Roadmaster version of that, but think they’re all fairly similar. That really helped the ability to travel straight and allowed one hand steering.

I felt that change did so much good that I went forward with the other usual upgrades, such as the Roadmaster rear anti-sway bar and Sumo Springs. Those changes helped with that tippy feeling in curves but not much else. Lastly, I changed the shocks to the Koni FSDs everyone raves about. But I’m not sure that did much at all.

While I’m sure the Sumo’s helped with body roll I’m also sure they have made the ride even harsher.

If I were to do it all again I’d add the steering stabilizer and possibly a rear track bar. I think those would have the biggest effect on drivability and control. For improved ride, I’d consider air bags on the leaf springs. But I don’t think much of anything can really improve the Ford F53 chassis when it comes to ride. Well, there is one option and that’s replacing the entire suspension with Liquid Springs for $25k.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:53 PM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

An update on my 7.3 Godzilla problem. We had heard a loud knocking under heavy acceleration, a Ford dealer replaced the spark plug wires under warranty. We have driven 50 miles and all is well.
Popps17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53, ford, v10