Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-21-2021, 06:27 PM   #1241
Winnebago Master

I’m happy it worked out smoothly for you!

Regarding solar...I put 400 watts up there with a Victron MPPT controller, wired series/parallel. It seems to keep my 230 amp hr bank (6v batteries) charged pretty well, however I haven’t had a good test yet. Just in my driveway, refrigerators running on the inverter, tv’s on, lights on all night. By about noon the next day the batteries were fully charged again.
I have a trip in April to put it to the test.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:54 PM   #1242
Winnie-Wise

Yes you went where no man I know has gone. Thanks. I will reply to the group tomorrow.
K9AEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:25 PM   #1243
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
I’m happy it worked out smoothly for you!

Regarding solar...I put 400 watts up there with a Victron MPPT controller, wired series/parallel. It seems to keep my 230 amp hr bank (6v batteries) charged pretty well, however I haven’t had a good test yet. Just in my driveway, refrigerators running on the inverter, tv’s on, lights on all night. By about noon the next day the batteries were fully charged again.
I have a trip in April to put it to the test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9AEG View Post
Yes you went where no man I know has gone. Thanks. I will reply to the group tomorrow.
Yeah, well, I feel guilty for letting the maintenance go and having the batteries die and the generator gum up. So glad I was able to get the genie back to life without pulling the carb!

YGO, That is amazing news on the solar. I was thinking I'd need 800 watts in order to boondock, but your tests are really encouraging! Did you upgrade your inverter at all?
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:07 PM   #1244
Winnebago Master

Don’t get too excited, yet! It wasn’t a real world test. On the bright side, it was in December with a low sun. ��
I didn’t swap out any original parts, just added the newest Renogy panels and a Victron Smartsolar 100/30 MPPT.
Getting the wiring thru the bathroom wall was the most difficult part. I put the controller in the passenger side storage compartment. Scroll back to my post #1111 for pics and details.

Another member, JLUSoCal has 700 watts of panels up there.

-Robb
Old 02-21-2021, 10:46 PM   #1245
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Don’t get too excited, yet! It wasn’t a real world test. On the bright side, it was in December with a low sun. ��
I didn’t swap out any original parts, just added the newest Renogy panels and a Victron Smartsolar 100/30 MPPT.
Getting the wiring thru the bathroom wall was the most difficult part. I put the controller in the passenger side storage compartment. Scroll back to my post #1111 for pics and details.

Another member, JLUSoCal has 700 watts of panels up there.

-Robb
Just checked out your solar set up. Man I am so paranoid about drilling into the roof! It looks like you mounted the panels in a way that I saw on a You Tube (RV with Tito) channel I watch. He used flexible solar panels with an added backer for rigidity, and then used double sided butyl tape (I think it was) to anchor the t-tracks down and then used nuts and bolts along the t track. How did you attach your panel brackets?
Old 02-22-2021, 07:39 AM   #1246
Winnebago Master

I attached the aluminum strut channel (from McMaster Carr) with butyl tape and stainless steel screws. I also used Dicor sealant around the screws.
Then I made some aluminum pieces for the panel feet to attach to the channel. I did it like this so the panels can easily be removed if necessary.
A lot of guys have success with attaching the panel to the roof using only butyl tape.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:55 AM   #1247
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Just checked out your solar set up. Man I am so paranoid about drilling into the roof! It looks like you mounted the panels in a way that I saw on a You Tube (RV with Tito) channel I watch. He used flexible solar panels with an added backer for rigidity, and then used double sided butyl tape (I think it was) to anchor the t-tracks down and then used nuts and bolts along the t track. How did you attach your panel brackets?
Bdub, thanks again for sharing your battery change out experience with us. You certainly went where no man has gone before, that I know. So guess we don't have to now explore a new battery location. Great!

Solar with my rig requires at least 800 watts with 4 deep cycle batteries. Done a lot of dry camping and if not in the dead of winter where sun is at a low angle, or in a forest with trees blocking the Ray's, it keeps up pretty well with our power habits usage. Your and others will probably vary. It would be nice to be able to tilt panel's. It would be even better to have lithium batteries.
I went with Renology panels, as I found some Chinese panels are weak. Renology seems to be a trusted name, and after 2 years I have not had any problems up there with them except for the sub standard Chinese solar connectors that went bad.
I'm with you about drilling holes in an RV roof. They develope enough leaks on their own. So I used some 3M super tape to mount the 4 feet the panels come with. This tape from Amazon is some really good stuff. I'm happy with it. Haven't lost a panel yet and all their feet still held down to the roof tightly.

I installed a 2000 watt inverter one day, only to have it die on the operating table and go up in smoke. Was so discussed and disappointed, I haven't visited that upgrade again. Just kinda remember that the inverter change over relay, mounted behind present inverter on wall, is only rater at 1500 watts. So make sure the inverter u go with has a built in relay. I believe most 2000 watt do.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:10 AM   #1248
Winnie-Wise

My fix for overhead compartments

Too many times I've had stuff falling out of the overhead compartments.

So I bought these netting from Amazon. They have velcro on each end. The velcro strip adhesive didn't stick all that well, so I ended up just stapling them.

Unfortunately when I went back to Amazon to include the item url, they are no longer available. But am sure one could find a similar item.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210221_100905.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	177465   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210221_100836.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	177466  

Old 02-22-2021, 09:15 AM   #1249
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Bdub, thanks again for sharing your battery change out experience with us. You certainly went where no man has gone before, that I know. So guess we don't have to now explore a new battery location. Great!

Solar with my rig requires at least 800 watts with 4 deep cycle batteries. Done a lot of dry camping and if not in the dead of winter where sun is at a low angle, or in a forest with trees blocking the Ray's, it keeps up pretty well with our power habits usage. Your and others will probably vary. It would be nice to be able to tilt panel's. It would be even better to have lithium batteries.
I went with Renology panels, as I found some Chinese panels are weak. Renology seems to be a trusted name, and after 2 years I have not had any problems up there with them except for the sub standard Chinese solar connectors that went bad.
I'm with you about drilling holes in an RV roof. They develope enough leaks on their own. So I used some 3M super tape to mount the 4 feet the panels come with. This tape from Amazon is some really good stuff. I'm happy with it. Haven't lost a panel yet and all their feet still held down to the roof tightly.

I installed a 2000 watt inverter one day, only to have it die on the operating table and go up in smoke. Was so discussed and disappointed, I haven't visited that upgrade again. Just kinda remember that the inverter change over relay, mounted behind present inverter on wall, is only rater at 1500 watts. So make sure the inverter u go with has a built in relay. I believe most 2000 watt do.
That’s great. I’ve got a roll of that double-sided 3M tape. Agree that stuff means business! Ok - I think I’ll delete the inverter upgrade for now. You’re not using one at 800w and YGo isn’t at 400w. I’ll just need to figure out the wiring to ensure that my outlets are inverter powered. I use a CPAP at night so having power overnight is a must.
I’m looking at Renogy or Sun Power. Kinda like that Remogy is semi-local to me...
Old 02-22-2021, 12:15 PM   #1250
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Battery replacement update. Man, this was sooo much easier than what it looked like it would be, and thanks for the tips from you all, the come up from underneath method was EXACTLY the trick. Gotta think in 3D with these things I guess. So here's what I did:

With a socket extension and swivel adapter (because of how the negative terimnal was seated on the post), took off the negative with a 5/16th socket. Tiny little nut. The positive terminal needed a 1/2 inch socket and was way easier to get to. Finally with extension , removed the battery hold down wedge (another tiny 5/16th nut).

Lifted the battery half out of the tray toward the outside (so to the left as you are dangling from the hood). Then, rotate the battery. The rubber tire well actually helps to keep the battery balanced at this point. Now from outside the tire well, I reached up and brought the battery down.

The sticker on the battery says 1/19. We bought the rig then, so the RV place had to have replaced it. Ran it to Costco and picked up an interstate replacement, but the replacement is actually 800cca vs the 750cca of the one I pulled.

Getting it back in was actually easier. I got underneath and there is plenty of room to actually sit up in that space forward of the tire. With my back against the tire, it was simple to life the battery up and into the battery tray, again rotating it once it was in the battery tray area, coming up with it to the right (as you are looking at it from underneath) of the tray. Again the rubber mat/wheel well did not impede because it isn't anchored on the outside edge, so it just flapped out of the way.

Thanks so much for the tips of checking out the underneath technique! That was the magic trick for sure. Got all the juice running in the Falcon again! We are probably gonna take her up somewhere along the beach between here and Santa Barbara to start boondocking close to home and evalute energy consumption to start to think about solar solutions.
That’s great news! Somebody had to do it first I guess...thanks for sharing your detailed explanation, it will certainly help us all!

Back to your inverter/solar question...

The only reason one would want a larger inverter, is if they had a need to run high draw appliances, e.g. toaster, hairdryer, instant pot, etc.

A larger inverter will obviously allow one to suck more energy out of the Coach batteries even faster. I’d imagine you’d have to look at the gauge wire used to the inverter, as it may have to be increased for the increased current draw as well. Don’t know what size they used off the top of my head.

The solar option should be a simple addition. YGOHOME and K9AEG went with roof mounted systems, and I opted for a portable suitcase model. Depends on your needs, as we aren’t off the grid as much as they are.
The ONLY advantage to the portable ones are, one can park in the shade, and yet put the solar panels in the full sun, and angle them for best exposure. Other than that, you do have to set them up...and lug them around inside...they do fold up nicely, but weigh about 40# each.

Enjoy your trip, it’s supposed to be getting warmer for a few days...
Old 02-22-2021, 12:36 PM   #1251
Winnebago Master

I weighed the pros and cons of going portable. You know which direction won ��
My biggest concern with portable was someone walking off with it while we were away from the campsite.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:39 PM   #1252
Winnebago Master

INTENT sighting

I just passed a 26m towing a grey Jeep Wrangler Jk Unlimited in Temecula, CA.
Who was it??? Maybe Kidikarus?
Old 02-22-2021, 01:36 PM   #1253
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
That’s great news! Somebody had to do it first I guess...thanks for sharing your detailed explanation, it will certainly help us all!

Back to your inverter/solar question...

The only reason one would want a larger inverter, is if they had a need to run high draw appliances, e.g. toaster, hairdryer, instant pot, etc.

A larger inverter will obviously allow one to suck more energy out of the Coach batteries even faster. I’d imagine you’d have to look at the gauge wire used to the inverter, as it may have to be increased for the increased current draw as well. Don’t know what size they used off the top of my head.

The solar option should be a simple addition. YGOHOME and K9AEG went with roof mounted systems, and I opted for a portable suitcase model. Depends on your needs, as we aren’t off the grid as much as they are.
The ONLY advantage to the portable ones are, one can park in the shade, and yet put the solar panels in the full sun, and angle them for best exposure. Other than that, you do have to set them up...and lug them around inside...they do fold up nicely, but weigh about 40# each.

Enjoy your trip, it’s supposed to be getting warmer for a few days...
Thanks for this! Was just looking at the 200w suitcase. That might be a good starting point and can always add more up top later as well. A less intimidating start to solar for sure!
Old 02-22-2021, 01:41 PM   #1254
Winnebago Owner

Not sure where I saw this just ordered some wreath bags from Amazon. Nice durable nylon bags, smaller ones are perfect for hose storage. Got a bigger one and it has plenty of room for the stinky slinky!
Old 02-22-2021, 05:46 PM   #1255
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
That’s great. I’ve got a roll of that double-sided 3M tape. Agree that stuff means business! Ok - I think I’ll delete the inverter upgrade for now. You’re not using one at 800w and YGo isn’t at 400w. I’ll just need to figure out the wiring to ensure that my outlets are inverter powered. I use a CPAP at night so having power overnight is a must.
I’m looking at Renogy or Sun Power. Kinda like that Remogy is semi-local to me...
Well, I guess that is the other underlying reason for not upgrading the inverter. 1st of all, my 5 cup coffee pot, toaster, crockpot , Traeger grill, and K-cup coffee maker is handled very well , one at a time of course, with the existing inverter. Even some of my power tools also. 2nd, you mentioned a larger inverter put even more stress on the battery system. Very good point.

Drew, you mentioned suitcase . Good idea. Been thinking of adding that to my panel farm. With the forest camping here in Arizona and Wisconsin, would give me the extra watts of charging. Where did u pickup the portable panels, Renology? How many watts?
Old 02-22-2021, 06:09 PM   #1256
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Not sure where I saw this just ordered some wreath bags from Amazon. Nice durable nylon bags, smaller ones are perfect for hose storage. Got a bigger one and it has plenty of room for the stinky slinky!
I'm not sure what this is. I live in a very simple place. I sometimes feel I'm an ostrich Have any pictures?
Old 02-22-2021, 06:31 PM   #1257
Winnebago Master

It’s funny sometimes, forgetting changes that I’ve made that are just normal now. Like this. My stinky slinky goes inside the bumper. Like it always has in all of my RV’s!
Oh, wait. This one didn’t have a bumper. I added it!
Old 02-22-2021, 08:04 PM   #1258
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I'm not sure what this is. I live in a very simple place. I sometimes feel I'm an ostrich Have any pictures?
Ha ha! Check out the link!
2-Pack Christmas Wreath Storage Bag 24" - Artificial Wreaths, Durable Handles, Dual Zipper & Card Slot, Holiday Xmas Tear Resistant Storage Container 420D Oxford Fabric https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B084618NYQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_REJD9P9AEG77KZ75WKHJ
Old 02-22-2021, 08:05 PM   #1259
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
It’s funny sometimes, forgetting changes that I’ve made that are just normal now. Like this. My stinky slinky goes inside the bumper. Like it always has in all of my RV’s!
Oh, wait. This one didn’t have a bumper. I added it!
Yup! That was one of the first major mods I remember you doing!
Old 02-22-2021, 08:19 PM   #1260
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Too many times I've had stuff falling out of the overhead compartments.

So I bought these netting from Amazon. They have velcro on each end. The velcro strip adhesive didn't stick all that well, so I ended up just stapling them.

Unfortunately when I went back to Amazon to include the item url, they are no longer available. But am sure one could find a similar item.
That’s funny. I did the same thing. Too many times has stuff flown out and startled me while driving. But when the dog food came down and hit the wife, then the dog, it got moved up on my todo list...

I just did this a week ago, and these are still available...I screwed mine into the sides, with self tapping screws.

Also, the lock I bought to secure the solar (Renogy 200 watt suitcase), I bought on etrailer. Mounted it to the rear skid plate. Can’t even see it under there. But, it should keep honest people honest, if not, there’s insurance...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8FF239D9-26E4-4330-986B-A01E68F6A27D.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	353.2 KB
ID:	177473   Click image for larger version

Name:	908779C8-E97E-4DFB-B2B0-5F49D84FE879.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	177474  

Name:	B65692CA-1463-4B07-97CF-D1B6FA229290.jpeg