Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2021, 08:57 AM   #1221
Winnebago Owner

Any tips or shortcuts to pulling the chassis battery?
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:36 AM   #1222
Winnie-Wise

Good question. I would also like to know.
K9AEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:14 AM   #1223
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9AEG View Post
Good question. I would also like to know.
I’m going to have to dive into this Saturday so if we don’t hear from someone experienced with it, I’ll post up all the things I did that went horribly wrong!!😭
Old 02-17-2021, 01:08 PM   #1224
Winnie-Wise

Ok thanks. Looking at it seems to be a horse a piece pulling it out from hood or in front of tire
Old 02-17-2021, 01:59 PM   #1225
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Ok thanks. Looking at it seems to be a horse a piece pulling it out from hood or in front of tire
Yeah the hood piece I completely removed so I could get as close as possible when taking a look. I’ll try the front wheel route as well when I try ‘in anger’ this weekend.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:46 PM   #1226
Winnie-Wise

Tomorrow if I have time I will visit these two area's. If I notice anything to make your sat. day easier, I will post. Otherwise ... May the Force be With You...
Old 02-18-2021, 08:10 PM   #1227
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Yeah the hood piece I completely removed so I could get as close as possible when taking a look. I’ll try the front wheel route as well when I try ‘in anger’ this weekend.
Might need a cherry picker to get that thing out. I’ve pondered it’s eventual replacement as well. Just adding water was hard enough. I think though, with the hood off, it’d have to come out that way. The same way a new one will have to go in. I’d try and think about devising a winch sort of system to handle the load under the hood. Good luck. Let us know how you handle it.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:10 PM   #1228
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Might need a cherry picker to get that thing out. I’ve pondered it’s eventual replacement as well. Just adding water was hard enough. I think though, with the hood off, it’d have to come out that way. The same way a new one will have to go in. I’d try and think about devising a winch sort of system to handle the load under the hood. Good luck. Let us know how you handle it.
You bet. Yeah some kind of winch or mini-crane would be good!!
Old 02-19-2021, 10:02 AM   #1229
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Tomorrow if I have time I will visit these two area's. If I notice anything to make your sat. day easier, I will post. Otherwise ... May the Force be With You...
Looking at my battery situation, you can see there's much stuff in the way for battery removal through the hood. Stuff in the name of Air conditioning hoses and pipes that don't or won't move easily.

Therefore I would have to take the alternate plan of removal from below by front tire. The battery flap can be moved a bit and if not enough I would disconnect it altogether. Battery hold down is on the front bottom of battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210219_093306.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	177389   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210219_093201.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	177390  

Old 02-19-2021, 12:07 PM   #1230
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Looking at my battery situation, you can see there's much stuff in the way for battery removal through the hood. Stuff in the name of Air conditioning hoses and pipes that don't or won't move easily.

Therefore I would have to take the alternate plan of removal from below by front tire. The battery flap can be moved a bit and if not enough I would disconnect it altogether. Battery hold down is on the front bottom of battery.
Might be easier to saw it into small pieces...
Old 02-19-2021, 04:01 PM   #1231
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Thanks for this! So come up from underneath and do alot by ‘feel’. Man. I should have never neglected it so much the batteries died. Who knew just a few months would result in this three battery failure.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:22 PM   #1232
Winnie-Wise

Looking further at the battery tray, to make subsequent change out even easier, I would ditch the existing tray and install a battery box that can be bungee`d down. That would free up some height which would help. Battery box also makes it easier to remove it with the battery. Just a thought.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:46 PM   #1233
Winnebago Master

I was out crawling around under the RV putting some Snap Pads on the leveling feet. So I decided to check out the battery issue slid over to take a look.
I agree, the only way out is from under.
I would disconnect the cables and hold down clamp from above. This is easier with the hood removed, but can be done in place on a stool. I’ve done both while getting at the battery cables for other reasons.
Also remove all the screws holding the rubber flap in place. Get it out of there, then decide if it’s going back in or not.
Then raise the front end with the jacks, sit up-right (or on your knees?) in front of the wheel and wiggle the battery out to the rear.

That’s what I would try, anyway ��
Old 02-20-2021, 09:21 PM   #1234
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Chassis battery removal in 26m

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
I was out crawling around under the RV putting some Snap Pads on the leveling feet. So I decided to check out the battery issue slid over to take a look.
I agree, the only way out is from under.
I would disconnect the cables and hold down clamp from above. This is easier with the hood removed, but can be done in place on a stool. I’ve done both while getting at the battery cables for other reasons.
Also remove all the screws holding the rubber flap in place. Get it out of there, then decide if it’s going back in or not.
Then raise the front end with the jacks, sit up-right (or on your knees?) in front of the wheel and wiggle the battery out to the rear.

That’s what I would try, anyway ��
I agree. Now that I surveyed the problem, going down with a belt around the battery to lower it, seems the only real way to go, unless you want to disconnect you AC? No way.
That flap has to go, in order to get any access. But, does the whole battery tray have to come down too? Don’t know, but kinda looks that way.

What a PITA.

This photo was taken from under the passenger side wheel well looking up at the underneath side of the battery.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	675617A6-52E7-4F47-9E54-A7D7A5065FCE.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	365.4 KB
ID:	177427  
Old 02-20-2021, 09:27 PM   #1235
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
I can’t find any pics of the fog lights and I already removed the old ones. I welded a frame behind the grille and they mounted on each side of the license plate. I think the mesh grille blocked too much light output so my next options are either put the new ones in the same spot and then cut circles in the mesh and add a trim ring to look finished, or come up with a “bull bar” type thing in front of the grille.
I’ll keep you posted.
While we’re here...why is the washer fluid so damn small??? All that room for a tiny little box. Giant streaked window needs a lot of cleaning! That may be a future upgrade.
Question for you. You mentioned being able to adjust your headlights and I can’t even see in there but I snapped some photos and it looks like there’s three adjustment screws. You mentioned a Allen wrench but these look like a nut wrench or a flat edge screwdriver would do it is that what yours look like?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5D19E2E3-3191-4A38-9442-A2BA40B98826.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	177428  
Old 02-20-2021, 10:55 PM   #1236
Winnebago Master

How to adjust headlights

Those 3 are the adjusters. 9/32 socket on a 1/4 drive ratchet works best. Crawl under and prop yourself on one elbow and reach up with the ratchet.
The headlights are on top, the brights are the lower ones.

A big piece of cardboard really helps to slide in and out quickly as you make adjustments. I used a small flashlight standing upright, sitting on the bottom corner of the fiberglass body. Lots of light and pretty easy to reach. Remember that rubber flap by the battery? It’s a pain in the ass here too. Slide your arm under it for the best access. I couldn’t reach above and over it.

Here’s the big tip...Tightening a screw will pull the headlight towards the screw head. Loosening will push the light away. For example, say the passenger side is aimed too high (like mine) you want to tighten the lower screw. That will pull the fixture away from the body, and the light will aim lower to the ground. A few turns goes a long way.

The Allen key is on the aftermarket LED bulbs that we have, which is a separate thing. The LED chips should be side to side, but the lamp housing puts them about 20 degrees off. Doesn’t matter for the halogen bulbs.

Also, for anyone looking at that picture thinking it looks different...it’s because of the aftermarket LED bulbs. That’s the heat sink.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:10 AM   #1237
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I agree. Now that I surveyed the problem, going down with a belt around the battery to lower it, seems the only real way to go, unless you want to disconnect you AC? No way.
That flap has to go, in order to get any access. But, does the whole battery tray have to come down too? Don’t know, but kinda looks that way.

What a PITA.

This photo was taken from under the passenger side wheel well looking up at the underneath side of the battery.
I don't know about the battery tray. I was hoping there would be enough room without removing it. Mine kinda looks like th nuts are below so the bolts would need room for removal. But, battery is setting on them. Would be a job for sure.

Guys, am wondering if we could find an alternate location for that battery? Ford put the battery there, and Winnie enclosed it making it almost impossible to service.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:15 AM   #1238
Winnebago Owner

Welp, gonna have to tackle it today, as Mrs needed tires and it took most of the afternoon to get that done yesterday. I am wondering how to re locate the battery myself K9...not sure what the best way to do that is at this point.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:37 AM   #1239
Winnebago Owner

General question....can I just drop a 2k or 3k watt pure sine inverter and plug and play? I'm thinking of ways to start to prep for a solar system. I think a bigger inverter is first, then LifePo4 batteries and upgraded converter and battery monitor, then panels and controller.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:53 PM   #1240
Winnebago Owner

Battery replacement update. Man, this was sooo much easier than what it looked like it would be, and thanks for the tips from you all, the come up from underneath method was EXACTLY the trick. Gotta think in 3D with these things I guess. So here's what I did:

With a socket extension and swivel adapter (because of how the negative terimnal was seated on the post), took off the negative with a 5/16th socket. Tiny little nut. The positive terminal needed a 1/2 inch socket and was way easier to get to. Finally with extension , removed the battery hold down wedge (another tiny 5/16th nut).

Lifted the battery half out of the tray toward the outside (so to the left as you are dangling from the hood). Then, rotate the battery. The rubber tire well actually helps to keep the battery balanced at this point. Now from outside the tire well, I reached up and brought the battery down.

The sticker on the battery says 1/19. We bought the rig then, so the RV place had to have replaced it. Ran it to Costco and picked up an interstate replacement, but the replacement is actually 800cca vs the 750cca of the one I pulled.

Getting it back in was actually easier. I got underneath and there is plenty of room to actually sit up in that space forward of the tire. With my back against the tire, it was simple to life the battery up and into the battery tray, again rotating it once it was in the battery tray area, coming up with it to the right (as you are looking at it from underneath) of the tray. Again the rubber mat/wheel well did not impede because it isn't anchored on the outside edge, so it just flapped out of the way.

Thanks so much for the tips of checking out the underneath technique! That was the magic trick for sure. Got all the juice running in the Falcon again! We are probably gonna take her up somewhere along the beach between here and Santa Barbara to start boondocking close to home and evalute energy consumption to start to think about solar solutions.

Tags
intent