Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2020, 08:00 PM   #1041
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Horst Miracle Probes Black Tank Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Replaced the OEM gray tank sensors with Horst Miracle Probes. It’s no wonder the factory sensors go bad—their aren’t any! Just a bolt that goes barely goes through the expanding rubber grommet and every one was clogged. Horrible design.

Anyway, I digress. So this is a 26m specific question. The gray tank swap out was simple. But the black tank sensors appear to be hidden behind two panels that are riveted in place.
Not only that, but both panels are behind the inside dual tire, if I’m reading this drawing correctly.
Has anybody removed these panels, and if so, any tips? Obviously drilling out a rivet with a plastics tank on the other side, makes me queasy, to say the least. Thanks!
OK this afternoon I tackled the black tank sensor replacement. Obviously more difficult than the gray sensors, I jacked up the driver side of the couch with the LCI jacks and a very thick board (12 x 10 block). I’m in a downward sloped driveway. On a flat surface, it’d be easier. That gave me enough room, just barely, to get in there over the dual tires and drill out the rivets to access behind the panels and replace the probes. It was quite the reach back in there, I’m glad I have long arms or I wouldn’t have been able to pull it off (pun intended)...

It was a project I dreaded doing, but so glad it’s done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2EC91493-13FE-4ED9-9C05-B3C0A2060CCB.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	175421   Click image for larger version

Name:	7637E81D-2E74-415E-8C33-DAD97D50D29D.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	175422  

Name:	6DF99CE5-40CC-4DEE-88F6-C7EF1B3D7113.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	175423  
Old 10-21-2020, 08:18 PM   #1042
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
OK this afternoon I tackled the black tank sensor replacement. Obviously more difficult than the gray sensors, I jacked up the driver side of the couch with the LCI jacks and a very thick board (12 x 10 block). I’m in a downward sloped driveway. On a flat surface, it’d be easier. That gave me enough room, just barely, to get in there over the dual tires and drill out the rivets to access behind the panels and replace the probes. It was quite the reach back in there, I’m glad I have long arms or I wouldn’t have been able to pull it off (pun intended)...

It was a project I dreaded doing, but so glad it’s done.
Gosh, thanks Wyatt for the black tank update. Guess it's a project for sure. I hav short arms. I maybe in trouble. But will attempt it when in Arizona. Thanks again
K9AEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:39 PM   #1043
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9AEG View Post
Gosh, thanks Wyatt for the black tank update. Guess it's a project for sure. I hav short arms. I maybe in trouble. But will attempt it when in Arizona. Thanks again
It’s not as difficult as I may have made out. I pulled the job off in two hours including having to flush the tank first and then refill it to make sure the probes didn’t leak, and then drain it again and put back the 5 gallons necessary to fill the bottom of the tank.

All that is left to do is find the appropriate sheet metal screws to put the panels back. I didn’t have any of that diameter and short enough to bite, but not hit the tank.

If I wasn’t going to be able to do it the way I did, I just would’ve jacked it up and removed the outer tire. I’m glad I didn’t have to go that direction.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:44 PM   #1044
Winnebago Master

It’s very interesting the differences in our RV’s. Your drain pipe is at the corner, while mine is near the center.
Remind me, what led you to the swap? Did they stop sending a signal?
Btw, I put my black tank flush “Tornado” just above the sensor with yellow wire.

Regarding tire removal...I have a 20v Dewalt impact gun and some Harbor Freight impact sockets that remove the nuts easily. Then just lift the side enough to get the tire 1/8” off the ground. Don’t have to lift the heavy tire that way. Tightening is a bit awkward because you need an extension on a torque wrench.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:04 PM   #1045
Winnebago Master

Suspension and towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
There are a few posts here discussing this, 117 & 126.
117 is about my Jeep 2dr JK being a nightmare. Major case of the tail wagging the dog. I have done more suspension work since I last towed it, so I can’t update. I can tell you that my little Saturn wagon is a breeze to tow.

I have many years of towing different vehicles and my favorite set-up is the Ready Brute Elite. So beefy and simple.

Update...I recently towed the Jeep for the first time since completing all the RV suspension work. Much better! I also have the new Maximus 3 tow hooks bolted to the frame and custom machined tow bar adapters for the Ready Brute Elite tow bar.
While it towed much better, no wagging, it is very noticeably heavier than the Saturn. I was going to tow it to Oregon in a few months, but the Saturn is just that much lighter and easier to get up and go.

The suspension work is a success, with the Sumo Springs being the cherry on top!
Old 10-21-2020, 09:09 PM   #1046
Winnebago Master

Entry door strut

One more post! My door strut gave up tonight. It didn’t swing open all the way, and when I pushed it open the fluid poured out of the shock. I know others have had issues with the plastic ball ends, mine have been fine for two years of very regular use.
Someone found a replacement with metal ends a while back, but I don’t remember a link. If I find a good one I’ll let you know. 😀
Old 10-21-2020, 09:09 PM   #1047
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
It’s very interesting the differences in our RV’s. Your drain pipe is at the corner, while mine is near the center.
Remind me, what led you to the swap? Did they stop sending a signal?
Btw, I put my black tank flush “Tornado” just above the sensor with yellow wire.

Regarding tire removal...I have a 20v Dewalt impact gun and some Harbor Freight impact sockets that remove the nuts easily. Then just lift the side enough to get the tire 1/8” off the ground. Don’t have to lift the heavy tire that way. Tightening is a bit awkward because you need an extension on a torque wrench.
That’s very interesting that our tanks are designed differently. No wonder that it is so hard to help people on this forum when even the same model is designed differently from month-to-month in production.

I didn’t have to remove the tire. By jacking up the rear driver side I was able to squeeze in there and drill out the rivets, and install the new sensors.

The OEM sensors are just a bolt, (see photo comparison), not a “real sensor” in any stretch of the imagination. They just go through an expanding rubber grommet, and are notorious for giving false readings, because they easily retain moisture, or any other residue between the rubber and the bolt inside the tank.

These sensors (Horst Miracle Probes) solve all of that. I’ve had the gray tank ones in in several trips now and have no more issues with false readings—when I empty the tank, now the display reads empty, not 1/3 or even 2/3rds as it did before.

Your black tank flush may be next, now that I can get in there...I’ll ping you for advice if I get to that....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A6C9759B-E909-45B0-98C8-07969CE6D0CB.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	522.4 KB
ID:	175424  
Old 10-21-2020, 09:14 PM   #1048
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
One more post! My door strut gave up tonight. It didn’t swing open all the way, and when I pushed it open the fluid poured out of the shock. I know others have had issues with the plastic ball ends, mine have been fine for two years of very regular use.
Someone found a replacement with metal ends a while back, but I don’t remember a link. If I find a good one I’ll let you know. 😀
That was K9AEG as I recall who replaced his...
Old 10-21-2020, 09:23 PM   #1049
Winnebago Master

I think it was you that have the fresh water tanks not connected to each other? We have so many conversations with members that it’s hard to keep track!

I’m assuming the new probe is the long one from your description. I’ve never changed probes out, but that seems very long, like it would be spear fishing while driving with the brown fish swimming around in there
Old 10-22-2020, 06:38 AM   #1050
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
This may have been my post.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As I mentioned, not totally happy with these struts ether. Yes they have metal ends. But good thing it came as a 2-pak as one already went bad after about 8 months. Also, they are shorter, so you need to move the mounting holes. Another concern is they are 22lb and not 10lb rated. I have not found metal end 10lb struts yet.

Here is the direct replacement:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-22-2020, 06:56 AM   #1051
Winnebago Master

Thanks Denny. I definitely don’t want to go shorter. I moved my door mount toward the hinge a bit to allow the door to open further. So that may be a problem.
The ball ends and mounts are fine, so I may try the direct replacement.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:56 AM   #1052
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
I think it was you that have the fresh water tanks not connected to each other? We have so many conversations with members that it’s hard to keep track!

I’m assuming the new probe is the long one from your description. I’ve never changed probes out, but that seems very long, like it would be spear fishing while driving with the brown fish swimming around in there
Not me. Insofar as I know, I only have one fresh water tank?

There are two styles of probes, one for the gray water and one for black. The image I illustrated was comparing the OEM “sensor” to the longer gray sensor.

The black tank sensor has a shield over the probe, to keep toilet paper from clinging to the probe.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F52F72C3-7DF4-44E6-A1EB-44D78A3DA1E8.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	175434  
Old 10-22-2020, 12:11 PM   #1053
Winnebago Master

I thought the same about the fresh water tank. That we only had one. I would have bet on it!
There’s two.
One of the 26m’s here had an issue a few months ago and posted pictures. I happened to be camping so I checked it out. If you pull out the outdoor kitchen drawer you’ll see the two fresh tanks. There’s hoses connecting them, so one tank fills full then fills the other thru that hose. The overflow is part of that connection iirc. I don’t think that member had the ability to fill the second tank and he fixed it.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:50 PM   #1054
Intent 30r 2019

We missed going to central Wisconsin this year due to covid-19. Niece is a physician assistant in Sheboygan and she said the 2nd wave is underway there. Spent our time with a few short trips down here in Florida. Our first summer here in 5 years. Good to have a reminder why we get out during the summer, lol!

Stay Safe and enjoy your journeys!
MikeBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:27 PM   #1055
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

There are two styles of probes, one for the gray water and one for black. The image I illustrated was comparing the OEM “sensor” to the longer gray sensor.

The black tank sensor has a shield over the probe, to keep toilet paper from clinging to the probe.
That was me that the two fresh water tanks are not both connected to the "Fill" pipe. I do a rather strange work around on that issue, until I decide to pull the outside kitchen out to finish their job ....
Old 10-22-2020, 02:31 PM   #1056
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Thanks Denny. I definitely don’t want to go shorter. I moved my door mount toward the hinge a bit to allow the door to open further. So that may be a problem.
The ball ends and mounts are fine, so I may try the direct replacement.
Don't blame you. When this 2nd shorty blows its gasket, I am going back to the original and just buy a few extra ends to replace with.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:00 PM   #1057
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

I assume the "cape" of this sensor is installed with cape on top?
Old 10-24-2020, 07:20 PM   #1058
Winnebago Master

Door strut

You guys weren’t kidding about the replacement gas struts on the entry door. The reviews are all terrible.
I found a 15 lb. of the same brand that came stock on mine. Signature Series in Lake Forest. Stock is 10 lb., which is pretty light compared to my other RV’s, so I’m hoping the new one is good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333581857014
Old 10-24-2020, 08:15 PM   #1059
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Tank sensors orientation

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9AEG View Post
I assume the "cape" of this sensor is installed with cape on top?
Yes, they have instructions. The way you know you have the right orientation when inserted into the tank, is there’s a notch in the bolt with a flat end, indicating that should be pointing down. That, insures, that the covered cap over the sensor is on top, when installed inside the tank, (I circled it in the photo). Get THAT wrong, and you’ll get more bad readings—it’ll become a pooper scooper...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3E811040-5408-43A4-AA5D-24AC189E3F8A.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	175459  
Old 11-02-2020, 12:30 PM   #1060
Winnebago Master

Entry door gas strut spring

Quote:
You guys weren’t kidding about the replacement gas struts on the entry door. The reviews are all terrible.
I found a 15 lb. of the same brand that came stock on mine. Signature Series in Lake Forest. Stock is 10 lb., which is pretty light compared to my other RV’s, so I’m hoping the new one is good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333581857014
I attached this guy yesterday. All good! Just slightly stiffer and barely noticeable.

Tags
intent