Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-31-2020, 10:43 PM   #741
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSane View Post
Lift up from the edge closest to the dash, or the edge with the key hole?

The key was missing from my motorhome. No owners kit provided at all. Had to print all of the manuals from the Winnebago website.
My bag had the hex key too, but any Allen wrench that fits will work.
In the manual, it says how to do it. If you also didn’t get a manual, download it from Winnebago’s website here:
https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...anuals2018.php
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B158BA92-EDA5-4FAD-9365-528DE5FF6428.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	173761  
Old 05-31-2020, 10:55 PM   #742
Winnebago Master

Rear = Rear. This has always been confusing in the Volkswagen World with the engine in the rear. Front and rear get really confusing, so it’s always best to just stick with front is front and rear is rear.

Lift up after turning key, then slid to the rear to disengage the front and pull up and out. You’ll be surprised how simple it is.
It’s a fat Allen key, but I don’t remember if it’s standard or metric.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:11 PM   #743
Winnebago Master

I got some work done today.
New powered loveseat from Jeromes. Got a battery for the off-grid trips too.
I also raised the tv to make better use of that space. 4” up is perfect.
I’ve always hated those 4 plates that were mounted crooked and different heights, so they’re gone! The hdmi and coax got combined and mounted just about even with the bottom of tv, but accessible. Then I moved the power up a bit. There’s only 2 of 4 now. Where’s the last one? The tv power didn’t have a service loop so I couldn’t move it up. Instead, it’s behind. I plugged the tv into it and secured it behind the wall.
All the holes will be covered with a matching backsplash to the kitchen and bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	31757895-352E-4861-9A65-A1FD786F5CEA.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	521.5 KB
ID:	173762   Click image for larger version

Name:	03DF257F-3EF9-4A19-86B8-EBEE19D80262.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	733.2 KB
ID:	173763  

Name:	3940DD12-B37C-4E02-9A25-8A5CD0A4767E.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	799.5 KB
ID:	173764  
Old 06-01-2020, 05:23 AM   #744
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
My bag had the hex key too, but any Allen wrench that fits will work.
In the manual, it says how to do it. If you also didn’t get a manual, download it from Winnebago’s website here:
<picture cut>
I have tried a dozen different hex keys. None seem to "catch" the lock mechanism. Currently at the point were I am contemplating trying to get to the mechanism from underneath. I have three days with it at home before hit the road for a month. Want to figure it out before we leave.

The Winnebago and Ford manuals have been printed out, put in protective sleeves, and placed in a binder. Made notes on the pages for anything that was not clear and I figured out during the shakedown and walk-through.

EDIT: @YGoHom - love that couch. Not really a fan of the standard love seat. Maybe some day that will be added to our mods.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:35 AM   #745
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I have tried a dozen different hex keys. None seem to "catch" the lock mechanism. Currently at the point were I am contemplating trying to get to the mechanism from underneath. I have three days with it at home before hit the road for a month. Want to figure it out before we leave.

The Winnebago and Ford manuals have been printed out, put in protective sleeves, and placed in a binder. Made notes on the pages for anything that was not clear and I figured out during the shakedown and walk-through.

EDIT: @YGoHom - love that couch. Not really a fan of the standard love seat. Maybe some day that will be added to our mods.
I ended up using my biggest flat blade screw driver and it worked perfectly.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:21 PM   #746
Winnebago Watcher

2019 intent 29L generator

Our generator takes two attempts to start. Even with extended priming, it’s still requires a second attempt to start. Our previous generator on our old RV started right up each time after priming. We have asked the dealer and warranty service company about this problem and they both say we should be priming for At least 30 seconds before attempting to start. This seems extreme but even still we will have difficulties. We replaced the carburetor on the unit but the problem continues. Any suggestions? It’s an onan 4000. We are still under warranty.
Bobkat1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:19 PM   #747
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobkat1986 View Post
Our generator takes two attempts to start. Even with extended priming, it’s still requires a second attempt to start. Our previous generator on our old RV started right up each time after priming. We have asked the dealer and warranty service company about this problem and they both say we should be priming for At least 30 seconds before attempting to start. This seems extreme but even still we will have difficulties. We replaced the carburetor on the unit but the problem continues. Any suggestions? It’s an onan 4000. We are still under warranty.
Ours does the same thing, but usually because if it doesn’t start in the first 10 seconds, I stop and restart—then it will start.

The 30 second rule, according to Onan, is for when you replace the fuel filter, OR, the float bowl is out of gas. So I suppose if you don’t use your generator for 30 days, when you are supposed to exercise it, it may take longer to prime.

On that note...when I pulled off the tailpipe, because it had bottomed out on the ground when exiting a gas station, and relocated it to the middle rear, instead of the side, I noticed it had bent slightly at the opening that connects to the generator.
So I bought a replacement tailpipe from Onan for my model.However, it didn’t have enough drop on it to get below the frame and out the back.
I’m guessing Winnebago doesn’t use the stock Onan tailpipe.
What I did notice is the Onan OEM tailpipe, has a slit in the opening of the tube where it connects to the gen, so that when you tighten down the “C” clamp, it will compress for a tight seal. But the one on my Intent did not have that slit, meaning the clamp can’t really compress around the exhaust port.
So, I put a small slit in it at the top, and reinstalled it with some muffler sealant at the top of the connection. Guess what, it’s noticeably quieter now...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	82CE7135-B159-43E1-8051-193A5D8B91CF.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	465.0 KB
ID:	173771   Click image for larger version

Name:	038C6464-2AD0-43E2-959B-3F5C5109F40D.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	173772  

Old 06-01-2020, 04:42 PM   #748
Winnie-Wise

Onan hard start

This info may help some of the hard starts of ONAN's. Mine was extremely hard to start. So did a little research and came up with this info from another forum.

Maybe this will help yours also. Mine now starts easily.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/onan...lp-414545.html on 1st attempt after prime.
K9AEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:17 PM   #749
Winnie-Wise

Good Job!
Old 06-01-2020, 05:58 PM   #750
Winnie-Wise

Maybe a trip to Home Depot? In these days, a man needs Metric and SAE tools... Yes even a wide enough screwdriver will do the job.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:28 PM   #751
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the tip..mine always was a hard starter but I just accepted that was the way it is..I rotated the disc (That little nut is hard to get at!) just enough to fully close the choke and now it works just fine.....
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:02 PM   #752
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUSoCal View Post
I ended up using my biggest flat blade screw driver and it worked perfectly.
That worked, thanks! Once it was off, it was much easier to find the correct hex key. Now I have that set aside in the tool chest.

Our generator usually takes two attempts to start. Not owning one before I did not think it unusual.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:14 PM   #753
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniram View Post
Thanks for the tip..mine always was a hard starter but I just accepted that was the way it is..I rotated the disc (That little nut is hard to get at!) just enough to fully close the choke and now it works just fine.....
Yeah thanks to that forum, mine also now starts fine.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:03 AM   #754
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
That worked, thanks! Once it was off, it was much easier to find the correct hex key. Now I have that set aside in the tool chest.

Our generator usually takes two attempts to start. Not owning one before I did not think it unusual.
I don't know why ONAN sets these chokes for very warm climates. But I adjusted my twice now. Yep the nut is a pain, but think I have it starting on 1st try now after prime.

I have a Harbor Freight 6kw at the house here. Also starts very hard. Will look at its choke next.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:20 PM   #755
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9AEG View Post
I don't know why ONAN sets these chokes for very warm climates. But I adjusted my twice now. Yep the nut is a pain, but think I have it starting on 1st try now after prime.

I have a Harbor Freight 6kw at the house here. Also starts very hard. Will look at its choke next.
How long do you hold the prime (stop) switch to prime? Thanks!
Old 06-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #756
Winnebago Watcher

Introduction

Hello I just joined this forum. I have 2018 26’ Intent. I am interested in adding the SafetPlus and sway bars. In reading it appears everyone recommends CHF. Can you elaborate on what that is please? What else improves the drive?

My wife And I reside in Southern California an hope to get on the road soon. Our RV rattles and shakes all over the place so we do not feel safe.
DavidMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:01 PM   #757
Winnebago Master

Welcome! There is soooo much information in this thread. A lot of great detail in what is necessary to make these damn 26’ers driveable. Give it a read. Many pictures of upgrades too!
CHF is the Cheap Handling Fix. In a nutshell, there are two positions available on the sway bar ends. Simply move the links on the sway bars to the other hole. This stiffens the action, which means much less rocking back and forth. There is a massive discussion on IRV2.com. A quick google search will get you there.
As you read through you’ll find I have a freebie for you. It’s only a private message away!

-Robb
Old 06-02-2020, 01:25 PM   #758
Winnie-Wise

I hold the prime for about 20-30 seconds. Maybe not required that long. Salesman said hold it till display comes on. But starting it from the outside, I noticed the primer has a few seconds delay before i can hear it pump.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:42 PM   #759
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9AEG View Post
I hold the prime for about 20-30 seconds. Maybe not required that long. Salesman said hold it till display comes on. But starting it from the outside, I noticed the primer has a few seconds delay before i can hear it pump.
Yeah, I went outside and primed it and noticed the same thing. I was only priming it for three seconds, and that wasn’t really even enough time for the prime to start filling the bowl.

So I did a 10 seconds prime at the generator. That, seemed too long for my unit. I’m going to try 5 and see what happens...Thanks!
Old 06-06-2020, 10:12 PM   #760
Winnebago Master

I’ve been busy again. New kitchen faucet and cupboard organizing. The new couch is in, and the wife’s new coffee bar is finished.

Damn pictures! I purposely took the pictures with the iBone upright so it wouldn't get confused and post sideways.
I guess I have to go back to doing the screen shot trick.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	22405BF6-C635-4B6A-95AC-12EF1BC962F5.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	173831   Click image for larger version

Name:	EAC6AAE1-8925-415C-AB97-346132707C12.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	173832  

Name:	CCB2C6D2-D287-4F72-B35B-9E8720D46E70.jpeg