Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2020, 06:36 PM   #661
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Hey Guys -
This has been amazing to read through how far some of your builds have come along! WOW! I have just been completely submerged in the new work that brought me to sunny California. I have visited my beloved Willenium Falcon a handful of times to exercise the engine, slideouts, water pump, etc..but we havent been on a trip since landing from our cross-country jaunt followed by about a month's worth of living in the rig in Van Nuys while we closed on our house in Camarillo. Fortunately the neighborhood we bought in has an RV parking area, so it's just a short walk! Cant wait for some down time to get back out on the road - and yes - restart the mods! The pages of info here are just so impressive! I'm a fan of the model, and this community that has sprung up around it! I was glad to see it come back for 2020. I hope you all are safe and well!
BDub
Glad to see that you’re back. The Radio Silence was deafening...
Old 05-08-2020, 01:11 AM   #662
Winnebago Master

X2. Bdub, send me a pm with your address and I’ll get a fridge latch to you next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Glad to see that you’re back. The Radio Silence was deafening...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Hey Guys -
This has been amazing to read through how far some of your builds have come along! WOW! I have just been completely submerged in the new work that brought me to sunny California. I have visited my beloved Willenium Falcon a handful of times to exercise the engine, slideouts, water pump, etc..but we havent been on a trip since landing from our cross-country jaunt followed by about a month's worth of living in the rig in Van Nuys while we closed on our house in Camarillo. Fortunately the neighborhood we bought in has an RV parking area, so it's just a short walk! Cant wait for some down time to get back out on the road - and yes - restart the mods! The pages of info here are just so impressive! I'm a fan of the model, and this community that has sprung up around it! I was glad to see it come back for 2020. I hope you all are safe and well!
BDub
Old 05-08-2020, 09:05 AM   #663
Winnebago Owner

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the welcome back! Finally getting through some work so I have some time to get back into the groove of checking and participating here.

@ygohom that is an awesome bit of philanthropy you've done to solve the problem of flying pickle jars! I rigged a couple baby proof cabinet clamps to solve that stupid screw issue. Your ingenuity has always been inspiring.
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:08 PM   #664
Winnie-Wise

Finally got back home to my Winter Nest, to pic up our Refer mod. (we dry camped for 9 days up on the the Arizona Rim, to get relief from the unusual heat) Thanks Robb My wife will hug you for this, if and when we would ever meet.

Denny
K9AEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:14 PM   #665
Winnie-Wise

Bdub, Yes, guess we are "family" here. Welcome back
Old 05-09-2020, 09:11 PM   #666
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Crown molding

Finally received my 1/4 round Kona floor trim from Winnebago. My “Intent” is to use if for crown molding over the cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BEDA8AE7-D164-4006-8FE9-10233ABB90FA.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	173449  
Old 05-09-2020, 10:27 PM   #667
Winnie-Wise

when done, show us photo's. They look very good and should match.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:21 PM   #668
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9AEG View Post
And you know I will...
Old 05-12-2020, 10:54 PM   #669
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Ok, adding this link to the Bathroom mirror mod since we all know how may people who own an Intent, use this thread...

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3861091
Old 05-14-2020, 08:20 AM   #670
Winnebago Owner

How important is a SuperSteer rear Trac Bar for pulling a toad?

We finally decided to bring the VW Golf with us on our trip next month, and I am curious if we need the trac bar.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:14 PM   #671
Winnebago Master

I tow a 2 door Wrangler and also an old Saturn. The Jeep is much heavier and without the rear track bar it was very difficult to maintain a straight line. The Jeep would cause the rear of the RV to fishtail. Since adding the track bar, as well as moving weight forward over the front axle of the RV, the drive has been much more comfortable. The Saturn is hardly even noticeable being towed.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:19 PM   #672
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Repositioning weight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
I tow a 2 door Wrangler and also an old Saturn. The Jeep is much heavier and without the rear track bar it was very difficult to maintain a straight line. The Jeep would cause the rear of the RV to fishtail. Since adding the track bar, as well as moving weight forward over the front axle of the RV, the drive has been much more comfortable. The Saturn is hardly even noticeable being towed.
Question:
How does one move weight around? I’m pretty much maxed out with only a 3/4 tank of gas, 5 gallons of fresh water and empty waste tanks.
Wish this had a 18,000 GVWR...
Old 05-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #673
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The Intent 31P is 18,000 GVWR, and mine has the supplemental RM anti-sway bar in the rear, but it has a lot of rear overhang. I have Sumos for the rear on hand, but have not yet been able to install them. Do not know if that will get done before this trip. (Putting that 12,000 lb up on jack stands makes me nervous , but I think I have a plan for doing it safely)

The VW Golf is 3000 lbs, and the tow dolly is fairly light.

Edit: Do you secure the steering wheel on the toad? I have seen recommendations to wrap the seat belt through the steering wheel and buckle it, but my seat belt is too short.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:42 PM   #674
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Gravity Fill 26m

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9AEG View Post
OK, I finally took off the panel to the left of the outdoor refrigerator to see the mystery space that I plan on repurposing for some more storage. I know Intent member put a laundry chute into this area. I finally received my door and hardware from Winnebago so I’m ready to measure five times and cut once.

But also in this photo you will notice the gravity fill port for the freshwater tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D9261D8B-F981-46F9-A548-0000B47429D2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	173497   Click image for larger version

Name:	B68545FB-FF9E-433C-9893-8321C6D560DD.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	173498  

Old 05-14-2020, 01:47 PM   #675
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSane View Post
The Intent 31P is 18,000 GVWR, and mine has the supplemental RM anti-sway bar in the rear, but it has a lot of rear overhang. I have Sumos for the rear on hand, but have not yet been able to install them. Do not know if that will get done before this trip. (Putting that 12,000 lb up on jack stands makes me nervous , but I think I have a plan for doing it safely)

The VW Golf is 3000 lbs, and the tow dolly is fairly light.

Edit: Do you secure the steering wheel on the toad? I have seen recommendations to wrap the seat belt through the steering wheel and buckle it, but my seat belt is too short.
Interesting. The 29r has the same 16,000 GVWR as I recall. Not sure that would have worked for me. Almost bought a 2019 used one, but it didn’t fit in my driveway.

What about just using some tie downs for your steering wheel?
Old 05-14-2020, 07:53 PM   #676
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSane View Post
If the vehicle is front wheel drive the front wheels will be on the dolly. You can use a ratchet strap from brake pedal to bottom of steering wheel. Another way is to use a rope and use a larks head/cow hitch knot around the steering wheel. Them pull the rope tight and close it in the door.

if vehicle is rear wheel drive the rear wheels will need to be on the dolly. The steering wheel should lock when key is removed. Again, use the strap/rope as a secondary.

If the vehicle is all wheel drive you might need a trailer.

Look in the owners manual of the VW. Should be a section about towing.
SCCAFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:27 PM   #677
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
OK, I finally took off the panel to the left of the outdoor refrigerator to see the mystery space that I plan on repurposing for some more storage. I know Intent member put a laundry chute into this area. I finally received my door and hardware from Winnebago so I’m ready to measure five times and cut once.

But also in this photo you will notice the gravity fill port for the freshwater tank.
Wyatt.. You have the updated Model... My tank(s) do not look like this at all.
My configuration was simple because of no "fill cap". I know your good at re-engineering....

Yes measure much and then CUt! You got it.

Your floor may have to be removable in your configuration, so as to feed the tank from above. Really not a problem. ....

Denny
Old 05-14-2020, 10:47 PM   #678
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Question:
How does one move weight around? I’m pretty much maxed out with only a 3/4 tank of gas, 5 gallons of fresh water and empty waste tanks.
I took out stuff from under the bed. I had to learn that just because there’s room, it doesn’t need to be full. It still is, but just light stuff.
I moved tools to the front of the outside storage. I have 4 full propane bottles. Added 350 lbs of steel above the transmission. Made a shelf above the slide hydraulics that holds heavy wood blocks and rubber pads. A ladder over the trans. I removed the large portion of the mattress in the bunk so now we use that space as a shelf. Blankets, jackets, pillows, extra clothes, window insulation for cold weather,etc. It’s stuffed.
I was also near max weight in the rear before all the moving around. I need to weigh it again, but I know it all made a significant improvement in handling.

One thing I like about the 26m and 16k chassis is for towing. We have the same gearing as the longer models with 18k chassis. I can easily maintain 55+ on long steep grades pulling my Jeep. That was a big factor in trading in my last RV. I was on the heavy chassis for its length and struggled with towing. The gear change in the next length, but having the same weight chassis would have been perfect. Enter the INTENT.
Funny story...My friend was behind me in his new Ford 30’ Class C (not towing anything) and he had no chance of keeping up with me while pulling my Jeep. Familiar with the hwy 101 just north of San Louis Obispo? No problem for me, but he was pissed!
Old 05-15-2020, 12:46 AM   #679
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Ditching weight to get to GVWR

Hi Robb,

Thank you for the elaborate response. But now, I have new questions for you, if you’ll indulge me:

“ Added 350 lbs of steel above the transmission.”

What was that? What did you do?

Made a shelf above the slide hydraulics that holds heavy wood blocks and rubber pads.

And that, why?

“ I removed the large portion of the mattress in the bunk”

The overhead bunk or bed over the driver’s side. How? Or, Are you sleeping on a twin mattress now? I’m confused...

What did you do? Thanks. I can’t even get a fill up of gas now without going over GVRW...
Old 05-15-2020, 09:35 AM   #680
Winnebago Master

I’ve posted all of this earlier in this thread, but I’ll add some pics I have on this phone. More detailed pics previously posted are on old retired phones, so you’ll have to go back and look for them here.

For adding weight up front, which is pretty common-using all kinds of methods, I measured the area between the frame and floor, above the transmission and found some heavy steel at the scrap yard. Large rectangle tubing, filled with more steel. Then I used a forklift to lift and slide it in place. That was fun! Then I made some brackets and welded everything to the frame.
In the picture below, the steel is to the right of the ladder, with a gloss black plate welded on the ends to keep the critters out.
The ladder is a 6 foot folding ladder slid into a vinyl fence post.

The blocks are for leveling in far less than perfect beach campsites. The thick heavy rubber pieces go under the jacks on gravel or slippery surfaces. The sheet metal lifts out for checking hydraulic fluid.

The bunk above the front seats. The mattress is 2 pieces, the skinny one behind the mirror near the windshield, and the wide, main piece. I took out that one and filled the space with stuff.
We don’t use that bed. I even removed it entirely early on (pics also posted here earlier) and made a shelf in its place, but I put it back as part of adding weight to the front.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BF56A50F-F5E2-4C1C-A239-1BF1127A676D.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	173500   Click image for larger version

Name:	AAFFD830-EBB1-48B1-8DFB-8F2C97FD7CB8.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	864.0 KB
ID:	173501  

Name:	F5A25447-6EBD-4F95-AD12-9431F15ECB71.jpeg