Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2019, 10:37 PM   #321
Winnebago Master

bdub...Have you towed your JGC yet? Are you familiar with the “death wobble” that they are prone to do while being towed? If you aren’t, you should look it up before your long trip. There are fixes. I just want you to be aware in case it happens so you don’t freak out.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:55 AM   #322
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
bdub...Have you towed your JGC yet? Are you familiar with the “death wobble” that they are prone to do while being towed? If you aren’t, you should look it up before your long trip. There are fixes. I just want you to be aware in case it happens so you don’t freak out.
YGoHom...thanks! I thought that death wobble prob happened to the Cherokee not the Grand Cherokee. I'll do more research. Day 1 is in the bag now. Got from Lafayette to Kerville Tx yesterday. Lots of white knuckle driving in traffic and construction in and around Houston. Pretty aggressive drivers there, but lots of friendlies letting me change lanes when needed.

On towing, it seemed that most of the time we couldn't even tell we were towing our Grand Cherokee, the Falcon had no troubles and the Ready Brute Elite tow package was pretty simple for a first timer to get hooked up. I will say that for the first couple of hours I was constantly checking the rear view and camera to be sure nothing was befalling the GC. I started to relax a little bit on the highway. When we hit the hill country outside of San Antonio, those RPMs getting into the 4500 range really gets loud!

Today's gonna be another long haul...Kerville Tx to Las Cruces, NM. Hopefully.
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:39 AM   #323
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
For those with the bell ringing for the jacks... check the fluid level for the pump. That is a sign that it may be low.
Had mine looked at under warranty. The dealer found no leaks. Felt it was internal to the pump. Winnebago told them to add an additive to the system. This did not help. I have yet to take it back since the closest warranty dealer is 150 miles from me.
SCCAFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:22 AM   #324
Winnebago Master

Mine has chimed while in the retracted position several times as well...and my fluid level is correct.
I read about removing a quart of fluid and replacing with an anti-stiction (?) fluid to help keep the seals lubricated, but I haven't done it yet. I regularly spray the shafts when extended with silicone spray per the manual. Everything definitely functions better and I don't hear any noises anymore when up on the jacks.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:18 PM   #325
Winnie-Wise

My Intent is to make it my home

A few changes I made.... I get inspired by people such as YGoHome etc.

Mirror is now usable and adjustable. (realize there is a recall on that because it fall off and hits the driver... Maybe.... NOT a good thing?) I hinged the bottom and made an adjustable connection for the top.

Computer desk is now adjustable. Can be pulled toward you for better readability.

Ham radio now has a home, both for HF and VHF.

Skinny cabinet under TV, now is a pull out with soft-close slides.

Old Tablet, now reads all the OBDII parameters of the engine using just a 10$ bluetooth obdII reader and this old Tablet. Gives MPG Speed, RPM's and a slew of other stuff. Will also read any error codes and reset them when needed.

Denny

(really don't know why all of the pic's are upside down. They were ok when uploaded)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	172260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Computer slide.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	172261  

Name:	OBDII.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	172262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ham radio.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	172263  

K9AEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:24 PM   #326
Winnebago Master

Nice work!

"Skinny cabinet under TV, now is a pull out with soft-close slides"

I've been looking around for the parts to do the same. Got pics?
Old 09-28-2019, 07:40 PM   #327
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Nice work!

"Skinny cabinet under TV, now is a pull out with soft-close slides"

I've been looking around for the parts to do the same. Got pics?
yep... got a pic.. but it maybe upside down as the others. Don't know whats wrong with the upload

This is the slide I used... The rest is just simple woodworking, measuring, remeasuring, trying to make sure all fits and lives harmoniously with its new envirnment.... .

.https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-24inch-2...72.m2749.l2649
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cabinett.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	172264  
Old 09-28-2019, 08:12 PM   #328
Winnebago Owner

yes,my jacks have been doing that .beeping when there not down yet for a while now.Does anybody use a surge protector? and has anybody put a rear track bar on?
BROAD ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:28 PM   #329
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROAD ST View Post
yes,my jacks have been doing that .beeping when there not down yet for a while now.Does anybody use a surge protector? and has anybody put a rear track bar on?
Yes, several of us in this thread. It's a very common, and many say NECESSARY, addition. Some of us also have it written in our signature line showing the brands we have.

I replaced the front sway bar with a thicker one. I ADDED a thicker one to the rear, which means I still have the stock one as well. The new one faces the rear. I also did the CHF, or Cheap Handling Fix, on the sway bars.
I also added a rear trac bar.
I would never drive this thing again without all of these additions. I really wanted to take the loss on this thing and go back to a Class C, but now I love it.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:32 PM   #330
Winnebago Master

Thanks, K9AEG. How big of a hammer did you use to remove the shelf?

I made a shelf under the kitchen sink, and added a sliding basket drawer below it.
Also made a larger front table between the seats, since I removed the dinette.

I'll try to get pictures tomorrow.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:55 PM   #331
Winnebago Owner

Ok ...long day of driving 513 miles logged today...just over 1000 total on this trip. No prob with wobble as of yet...read up and turns out that the electronic steering is the culprit in the Cherokee and the Grand Cherokee later models....keeping my fingers crossed is the best I can do at the moment. One thing I've noticed towing...the Falcon seems to be even more stable at a higher speed. Without towing, I find the handling and overall road manners are best at 61-62 mph...but towing on this trip the range is more like 64-66mph. Like the added resistance settles the rear end down. Overall performance has been perfect mechanically. No failures in the living quarters either. Today, as we came out of the Texas hill country, I tried running the genie and just used the living quarters AC, not the cab AC. I liked it, and it provided sufficient cooling even in the middle of the day on the plains. In my head, I was giving the v10 a little extra hp to manage those hills.
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:26 PM   #332
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Thanks, K9AEG. How big of a hammer did you use to remove the shelf?

I made a shelf under the kitchen sink, and added a sliding basket drawer below it.
Also made a larger front table between the seats, since I removed the dinette.

I'll try to get pictures tomorrow.
Big hammer.... actually not. If you look under the shelf, you can reach most of the shelf bracket screws and remove them. Yes, then the hammer did the rest!

Undersink area, still with at the Development Engineering stage here . Don't know what to do with that area yet. Have to keep its floor loose, in case the inverter trips its breaker. Would like to change inverter to 2000 watt and relocate it on one of the outside bins. (had 2200 watt one installed in that area from my last RV, but it died one day later :{ )
Old 09-29-2019, 07:37 PM   #333
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Yes, several of us in this thread. It's a very common, and many say NECESSARY, addition. Some of us also have it written in our signature line showing the brands we have.

I replaced the front sway bar with a thicker one. I ADDED a thicker one to the rear, which means I still have the stock one as well. The new one faces the rear. I also did the CHF, or Cheap Handling Fix, on the sway bars.
I also added a rear trac bar.
I would never drive this thing again without all of these additions. I really wanted to take the loss on this thing and go back to a Class C, but now I love it.
I too thought that this A is not handling good at all right from the dealer as I bought it new. But then I remembered that my 2014 class C Phoenix Cruiser 2300 did the same.... What they both needed is some suspension help. So on the intent I installed the Anti sway bars like YGoHom plus Sumo on the front only. I couldn't install the rear myself, as can't handle removing the dualies.
Did also the CHF, also a steering stabilizer. I'm very pleased with its handling now both with semi's passing to strong cross winds. Handles like a dream compared to what it was.... Actually my Ford Winstar doesn't handle much better in wind conditions.... just saying.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:46 PM   #334
Winnebago Owner

what do you use to spray on the shafts?
BROAD ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:25 PM   #335
Winnebago Master

Here’s under the sink and the new table. The basket is screwed to the false floor. I had all the floor panel screws removed so I could pull it out to reset the inverter, but had to put the two rear screws in to support the weight of the drawer when extended. No biggie. I’ve only tripped it twice and should be smart enough to not do it again. The basket is from Lowe’s. I bent a sheet of aluminum for the shelf. It holds the dog food and whatever else is packed in there behind it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FB3C7E69-3E19-4CBE-8197-D4EAB66A241D.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	172270  
Old 09-29-2019, 10:27 PM   #336
Winnebago Master

Here’s it all loaded.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	356DADBA-9078-4B33-9907-C08EB7EBF572.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	378.1 KB
ID:	172271  
Old 09-29-2019, 10:31 PM   #337
Winnebago Master

The table is 23”x30” and gives all the room my wife needs on those days she has to work. I took off one of the pole receptacles from the small table and placed it in about the same off-set position as the small table. I used an ebony stain to go with all the black.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5B03599F-8CCD-4C59-87F9-FE574BEC81B4.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	172272   Click image for larger version

Name:	2F49ED57-D778-4212-AA7B-3E693FB0242E.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	172273  

Old 09-30-2019, 06:32 AM   #338
Winnie-Wise

Good Job. As I mentioned before, people like you inspire me.
And yes, once you trip the inverter breaker, one should learn not to do that again. But I'm an retired Electrical/Electronics engineer.... but as you know engineers are not too
bright
Old 09-30-2019, 04:12 PM   #339
Winnie-Wise

Easier access to Dinette storage

Seen this on some upscale class A's. Thought I would try to modify mine.

Wasn't a difficult task. The end of the dinette pretty much is all screwed together. Used piano hinge for the now-door. Standard RV latch for the latch.

Drawers fabricated in woodshop and "soft close" slides used throughout.
BTW, changed out the cupboard drawers to soft close also.

(help... does anyone know how to post picture that are "right side up") And also how to beable text under each picture?)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dinett 1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	172279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinett 2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	172280  

Name:	Dinett 3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	172281  
Old 09-30-2019, 04:22 PM   #340
Winnie-Wise

[QUOTE=YGoHom;3 I regularly spray the shafts when extended with silicone spray per the manual. Everything definitely functions better and I don't hear any noises anymore when up on the jacks.[/QUOTE]

Do you use the dry silicone or the wet stuff like WD-40? I need to spray mine before I have a problem.

Tags
intent