Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-04-2015, 01:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
MattTaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 37
Floorplans - DP vs Gasser

My wife and I have started looking for our forever coach, ha! She will retire again soon and we want to full time. To that end we have been looking at floor plans. Went to the Tulsa RV show & saw the Forza 36G, it's perfect for us, has everything we want, and one we don't.

For various reasons including cost own, maintain, and operate, we don't want a DP & really the only reason we want to upgrade is for the newer, bigger, better chassis, tires, auto gen start, and all the other newer features. So we are trying to decide which gas Winnebago has a floor plan that best matches that of the Forza 36G.

We think it's the Sightseer 33C. In your opinion are we right about this?

PS. We are not interested in anything but a Winnebago.
__________________
2017 Winnebago Forza 36G (Puff The Magic Wagon)
2004 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 (Golden Eagle)
YouTube Channel - Nomadic Native
MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:02 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise
 
ChasA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 449
I think the 33c floor plan is great. We have a 2010 Journey 34y. The floor plans are very similar. We spend about 6 months a year in it and find it very "livable".
__________________
2010 Winnebago Journey Express 34Y
2010 Freightliner XCS (mfd 9/'09)
'07 Saturn Vue V6
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTaylor View Post
My wife and I have started looking for our forever coach, ha! She will retire again soon and we want to full time. To that end we have been looking at floor plans. Went to the Tulsa RV show & saw the Forza 36G, it's perfect for us, has everything we want, and one we don't.

For various reasons including cost own, maintain, and operate, we don't want a DP & really the only reason we want to upgrade is for the newer, bigger, better chassis, tires, auto gen start, and all the other newer features. So we are trying to decide which gas Winnebago has a floor plan that best matches that of the Forza 36G.

We think it's the Sightseer 33C. In your opinion are we right about this?

PS. We are not interested in anything but a Winnebago.
The Adventurer 35P is also close, plus it's closer to same size as the Forza.
__________________
KC9NPT (Merrill)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner
 
530ktm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Northern Arizona
Posts: 121
We looked at many coaches and when I stepped into the 33C that is when I made up my mind. We really like this floor plan and just about everything it has to offer. Good luck.
__________________
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C towing a Jeep TJ Wrangler
530ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper
 
MattTaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 37
Thanks for the comments everyone. Going to drive over to OKC this weekend and have a closer look at the 33C.

For those that have a newer 33C, did you upgrade from an older class A that had a lighter chassis and the smaller 19.5" wheels? I see that the 33C is on a 22,000 chassis and has 22.5" wheels. Just wondering what difference that made if any??

Is the 33C prewired for solar??
__________________
2017 Winnebago Forza 36G (Puff The Magic Wagon)
2004 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 (Golden Eagle)
YouTube Channel - Nomadic Native
MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:09 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise
 
aauummm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Altoona, Iowa
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
We looked at many coaches and when I stepped into the 33C that is when I made up my mind. We really like this floor plan and just about everything it has to offer. Good luck.
Same here.
__________________
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C (a lot of modifications)
2004 Jeep Rubicon, 34K miles (highly modified)
Three cats and the wife
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:25 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise
 
aauummm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Altoona, Iowa
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer1 View Post
The Adventurer 35P is also close, plus it's closer to same size as the Forza.
Actually the 37F (2015) has the living room TV that pops up out of the buffet with table and chairs and has the sofa and Euro chair opposite it. That's the big distinguishing characteristic that the 33C and the Journey/Meridian 34y/34b has (up through 2014). The 35P (2015) doesn't have that option.
__________________
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C (a lot of modifications)
2004 Jeep Rubicon, 34K miles (highly modified)
Three cats and the wife
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper
 
MattTaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 37
Driving 2 hours today to get to Oklahoma City & test drive the 2016 Sightseer 33C and the Forza 36G.

Would anyone happen to know where I can find an actually cost to own and operate comparison between a DP & Gasser on the web?? I'd really like to know what the difference in cost is for services and so forth.
__________________
2017 Winnebago Forza 36G (Puff The Magic Wagon)
2004 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 (Golden Eagle)
YouTube Channel - Nomadic Native
MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTaylor View Post
Driving 2 hours today to get to Oklahoma City & test drive the 2016 Sightseer 33C and the Forza 36G.

Would anyone happen to know where I can find an actually cost to own and operate comparison between a DP & Gasser on the web?? I'd really like to know what the difference in cost is for services and so forth.

Doubt that you will find anything meaningful. The largest different is that Diesel engines require lots of oil & big filters. There is one or two fuel filters. The air filter is usually on a 2-3 year schedule as is the at dryer. It's true that the diesel will be on a longer maintenance schedule Milage wise but most owner send up doing an annual L/O/F anyway on either chassis.

If there is a Speedco that you could visit, go by & check them out. I encourage you to drive a Journey while you are at the dealership.

Be careful what you take as truth about the diesel/gas argument here on the forums. Owners seem to get "wrapped around the axle" about this topic. It's really about size and weight. If the coach you want is over about 24k pounds it will be a diesel. If under that weight it will be gas. That break occurs around 36-40' in length.


Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner
 
Forza Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 128
I think the Adventurer 35P would be a pretty close comparison. Not to mention the Adventurer line offer some more upscale features. We almost bought a 38Q before we decided to go with the Forza. The drive and ride are night and day difference. We traded a 2007 Sightseer in on the Forza
__________________
Tom & Denise N
2016 Winnebago Forza 36G Freightliner XS-C, Cummins 340HP, 2011 Ford Edge
Uniontown, OH
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:42 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise
 
Ramzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 352
Be careful...Once you drive a DP, you'll never be happy in a gasser...!
__________________
06' Itasca Meridian 36g with CAT 350
2011 Jeep Wrangler 4-door
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:42 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner
 
LVRVLUVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
Be careful...Once you drive a DP, you'll never be happy in a gasser...!
why would you say that??? my gas coach rides better ... stops faster, goes faster. pulls the same trailer faster,.. costs less. deprectiates less..cheeper to maintain... cheeper tires,.. cheeper sales tax, cheeper insurance, cheeper lic. plates......ect
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:38 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper
 
JFNM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mountain West
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Be careful what you take as truth about the diesel/gas argument here on the forums. Owners seem to get "wrapped around the axle" about this topic. It's really about size and weight. If the coach you want is over about 24k pounds it will be a diesel. If under that weight it will be gas. That break occurs around 36-40' in length.
X2! Well said Steve!
__________________
JD & Buddy (the ferocious feline) - Full timer out west
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4023 | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 650 Watts Solar
My Adventures
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:43 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper
 
JFNM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mountain West
Posts: 9
Matt,

The reason you will not find any meaningful comparisons is because it is apples to oranges. In this post, I use a Porsche 911 and Ford Escort to illustrate the problem - two entirely different vehicles built for two entirely different purposes. Just because they both have four wheels doesn't mean a thing.
__________________
JD & Buddy (the ferocious feline) - Full timer out west
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4023 | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 650 Watts Solar
My Adventures
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:26 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner
 
Forza Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
Be careful...Once you drive a DP, you'll never be happy in a gasser...!
You speak the truth! We had a 2007 35J Sightseer for 8 years and decided to go with the Forza 36G. With the exception of no bunk beds the layout was exactly the same except on opposite sides. We drove an Adventurer 38Q before we decided on the Forza. There is really no way to compare the ride between gas and diesel. The diesel ride is so much smoother and quieter. It accelerates towing and not towing just as good if not better than my gas unit. The braking is better with and without the engine brake. The maintenance will be more but longer intervals. Fuel is more but we get better mileage. I can tell you that it would be hard to go back to a gas unit now.
__________________
Tom & Denise N
2016 Winnebago Forza 36G Freightliner XS-C, Cummins 340HP, 2011 Ford Edge
Uniontown, OH
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:29 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise
 
rream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 346
Having owned both no comparison - the guy who says a gasser rides just the same is delusional

Main issue is that you want to fulltime - DP has much more storage space which you will sorely need -

If you can not afford a new DP buy a used one
__________________
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited, Air Force One
277 Campgrounds, 1350 nights camping since 2009 and 61 K Winnebago miles
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oxford, Ma
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Having owned both no comparison - the guy who says a gasser rides just the same is delusional

Main issue is that you want to fulltime - DP has much more storage space which you will sorely need -

If you can not afford a new DP buy a used one

ABSOLUTELY true!! I completely agree with everything you said and you're 1000% correct. We've owned both and they were both 15's and there just isn't a comparison. Our 36G DP does everything better than our 35F gasser did, EVERYTHING. It's faster, smoother & handling is 100% better. It pulls my trailer like it's not there. I'll hit a hill at 65pmh with the trailer and I'll be doing at worst 55 at the top. It downshifts from 6th to 5th and you don't hear or feel it and it just motors along right up the hill. With the gasser I'd be doing 65 and it would downshift from 5th to 3rd and scream it guts out and I'd be going 35-40 at the top of the same hills. It drives like my pick up and I really can drive it with one finger. It's very smooth and sorry guy but the brakes were almost a selling point for me. I was using 2 hands to drive it and 2 feet to stop the gasser and now the brakes are so good that they'll scare you by how good they work. The storage is awesome in the DP. We always ended up leaving stuff home because it just wouldn't fit in the underneath compartments and now we've got everything in there and tons of extra room now. That guy needs put the pipe down.....
__________________
Mike & Yolanda D
2015 Itasca Solei 36G
Oxford, Ma USA
Digger29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise
 
Ramzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
why would you say that??? my gas coach rides better ... stops faster, goes faster. pulls the same trailer faster,.. costs less. deprectiates less..cheeper to maintain... cheeper tires,.. cheeper sales tax, cheeper insurance, cheeper lic. plates......ect
I guess you're just a "cheeper" kind of guy...Sorry to have ruffled your feathers.
__________________
06' Itasca Meridian 36g with CAT 350
2011 Jeep Wrangler 4-door
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:19 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner
 
LVRVLUVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger29 View Post
ABSOLUTELY true!! I completely agree with everything you said and you're 1000% correct. We've owned both and they were both 15's and there just isn't a comparison. Our 36G DP does everything better than our 35F gasser did, EVERYTHING. It's faster, smoother & handling is 100% better. It pulls my trailer like it's not there. I'll hit a hill at 65pmh with the trailer and I'll be doing at worst 55 at the top. It downshifts from 6th to 5th and you don't hear or feel it and it just motors along right up the hill. With the gasser I'd be doing 65 and it would downshift from 5th to 3rd and scream it guts out and I'd be going 35-40 at the top of the same hills. It drives like my pick up and I really can drive it with one finger. It's very smooth and sorry guy but the brakes were almost a selling point for me. I was using 2 hands to drive it and 2 feet to stop the gasser and now the brakes are so good that they'll scare you by how good they work. The storage is awesome in the DP. We always ended up leaving stuff home because it just wouldn't fit in the underneath compartments and now we've got everything in there and tons of extra room now. That guy needs put the pipe down.....
wanna race


personaly,... i would not buy a 35' motorhome unless it was a diesel pusher... i thought my 30' alegro was too heavy for the gas chassis...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:23 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner
 
LVRVLUVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 173
dp's have their place...."BIG".... only problem is getting around... we had a 40'
down in huntington on vacation...kid says lets stop at taco bell... by the time I found a place to pull over we needed to call a cab to go there....

the freightliner rides horrible unless it's loaded to max....period...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gas


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long is too long for a gasser? RayAndLin Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 46 05-08-2014 09:30 PM
Higher end gasser vs. entry diesel... go6car Winnebago General Discussions 27 10-19-2010 02:04 PM
1999 Chieftain Gasser:New to us BirdWoman Vintage Rigs - Retro is cool! 17 10-14-2005 09:51 PM
Evolution of Winnebago Floorplans vicsryd Winnebago General Discussions 7 10-03-2005 06:10 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×