Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Fire suppression units, Journey

At the June IRV2 National Rally, I ordered two automatic fire suppression units from Mac the Fire Guy, one for the fridge compartment and a larger unit for the engine bay. I am just now getting around to installing these things and am interested if anyone else here might have done this on their Journey/Meridian.

The smaller of the two units will just not fit in the exterior fridge area. Mac told me to mount it near the flue but there is not enough clearance between the cooling unit and all the tubes, etc. and the door.

There is room in the engine bay for the larger unit but, as usual, I will need to get very dirty to mount it.

Just wondering if any of you folks might have installed these and, if so, any pics or suggestions would be appreciated.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have the engine unit I installed last winter on my 2007 36G and did not have to get dirty at all. The bed is over the engine and I mounted it on to the steel plate covering the engine under the bed. Looking from the foot of the bed toward the head end the extinguisher would be on the right side. I ground off the bolts that were sticking up into the under bed space.

I did not get the alarm until March because Mac's supplier was upgrading it. He, Ralph not Mac, actually mounted that for me at the foot of the bed so saw the location of the extinguisher and said it was a good place for it. I did the wiring of the alarm to the 12v receptacle in the bedroom.

I'm sorry I don't have any pics but if you need it let me know and I will try to take one for you. It wasn't that difficult a project. I'm sure much easier than a refer unit would be.

Good luck with it.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
I have the engine unit I installed last winter on my 2007 36G and did not have to get dirty at all. The bed is over the engine and I mounted it on to the steel plate covering the engine under the bed. Looking from the foot of the bed toward the head end the extinguisher would be on the right side. I ground off the bolts that were sticking up into the under bed space.

I did not get the alarm until March because Mac's supplier was upgrading it. He, Ralph not Mac, actually mounted that for me at the foot of the bed so saw the location of the extinguisher and said it was a good place for it. I did the wiring of the alarm to the 12v receptacle in the bedroom.

I'm sorry I don't have any pics but if you need it let me know and I will try to take one for you. It wasn't that difficult a project. I'm sure much easier than a refer unit would be.

Good luck with it.

On my 36G, there are two removeable engine access panels. At the very head of the bed (at the rear of the engine bay) there is a steel panel under the bed platform. Is that where you mounted the unit? If so, did you have to remove the bed platform to drill the holes and mount the unit?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I mounted it on one of the removable panels which on mine is more toward the back half of the bed. It is a large panel. I propped it up then mounted the extinguisher. I did not have to remove the bed platform. I am on a tour right now but will try to take a pic this eve.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Picture

Here is a pic of my under underbed space, or most of it. The plastic container is at the head of the bed. The 4 silver colored nuts on the lower right side is where the extinguisher is attached. That entire panel comes off separate from the one under the head of the bed. The wire to the left is for the alarm.

BTW, when Ralph saw those steel plates he was very impressed and said he has not seen anything like that in any other brand of motor home. He said some maunfacturers don't put anything there and some use wood. The longer I have a Winnebago the more I am glad I have one because I keep learning about things like that they do we don't see but make a big difference for our safety.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0117_4_1.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1501  
Old 10-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
Here is a pic of my under underbed space, or most of it. The plastic container is at the head of the bed. The 4 silver colored nuts on the lower right side is where the extinguisher is attached. That entire panel comes off separate from the one under the head of the bed. The wire to the left is for the alarm.

BTW, when Ralph saw those steel plates he was very impressed and said he has not seen anything like that in any other brand of motor home. He said some maunfacturers don't put anything there and some use wood. The longer I have a Winnebago the more I am glad I have one because I keep learning about things like that they do we don't see but make a big difference for our safety.

Thanks for the pic. Mine is not configured that way at all. I have two removeable panels and there is insufficient clearance under one to mount the unit. There is sufficient clearance under the second panel but that panel is removed by sliding it forward then raising it. If I mounted the cannister under that panel, I would not be able to remove it.

I talked to Ralph and Mac yesterday. They have offered to send me one of their new remote units with the 3 or 4 ft. hose. I plan to mount the cannister in the outside engine access area and mount the nozzle in engine bay.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I would like to see pix of some of these installs. I talked to Mac in Quartzsite lasy year and he talked about how to mount the unit in the engine compartment, but it sounds like the fridge is more important from some of the recent posts I've seen around.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote