Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2020, 03:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Finding My Inverter

I was at Walmart yesterday and I wanted to plug something into an outlet in my Winnebago Intent 30R. So I turned on the inverter and nothing happened. I still couldn't use the wall outlets to plug in my device.

I thought that was how it worked, but I guess not. I dug into my owners manual and read about the inverter. Apparently it is a special box and you must plug into that box. Apparently it does not invert the wall outlets in the rest of the coach.

So I read on and it said the inverter is in the "galley". Since I was never in the navy I had to look that up. My navy parents and brother would be so ashamed. So I remembered that under the sink I see the box shown below (under the Brillo box).

Is the inverter hiding in that box?
How do I open that box correctly?
Why don't they just connect it to a wall outlet for easy access?

I'm not sure if my attachment worked. How do you post a photo here from your computer?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200513_162301.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	173482  
Dallas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:20 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Steve View Post
I was at Walmart yesterday and I wanted to plug something into an outlet in my Winnebago Intent 30R. So I turned on the inverter and nothing happened. I still couldn't use the wall outlets to plug in my device.

I thought that was how it worked, but I guess not. I dug into my owners manual and read about the inverter. Apparently it is a special box and you must plug into that box. Apparently it does not invert the wall outlets in the rest of the coach.

So I read on and it said the inverter is in the "galley". Since I was never in the navy I had to look that up. My navy parents and brother would be so ashamed. So I remembered that under the sink I see the box shown below (under the Brillo box).

Is the inverter hiding in that box?
How do I open that box correctly?
Why don't they just connect it to a wall outlet for easy access?

I'm not sure if my attachment worked. How do you post a photo here from your computer?
Ok, lot of questions here I can answer, as I have a very similar unit.

First, the Inverter needs to be switched on, at the control panel, near the galley and bathroom.

Once that is on, suffice to say that you sufficient battery power, it will power only the TV’s, Refrigerator and lights. It WILL NOT power the remaining 120v outlets in the coach. The generator or shoreline power will.
FYI: YOU CAN USE A WORKAROUND, AND USE AN ADAPTER THAT ALLOWS YOU TO PLUG IN MORE THAN ONE DEVICE INTO AN OUTLET. PLUG THAT INTO WHERE A TV IS PLUGGED INTO AND NOW YOU’LL BE CONNECTED TO THE INVERTER POWER. REMEMBER, THAT YOU HAVE ONLY 1,000 WATTS, SO DON’T TRY A COFFEE MACHINE OR HAIR DRYER ON THAT CIRCUIT.

The inverter is located in mine, yes, under the galley, in that compartment you visualized. You have to remove the bottom of the plate under the sink to access that. Some are screws, and others are just tacked in. They come off easily, but there’s no need to go there for you.

As for how to post a photo, take a photo of your issue, then take a SCREEN SHOT of that photo, then use the ADVANCED tab in this forum to upload your photo. NOTE: IF YOU DO NOT TAKE A SCREENSHOT, AND UPLOAD THE PHOTO DIRECTLY, IT MAY BE SIDEWAYS OR UPSIDE DOWN.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D1328B28-B2A8-4145-9F82-50980A88B5CB.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	173483  
Old 05-14-2020, 12:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Wyatt

You say "there’s no need to go there for you". Do you mean that it's easier to use the TV outlet when I want to use the inverter? I may still want to try to get to the inverter, if it's in that box, just for my own "edification", if that's where the inverter is located. And once I open it up, maybe it would be easier than trying to run an extension to the TV outlet, but not much.

It looks like maybe the side slides out of that box in my photo, but when I tried to move it, it didn't budge.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Wyatt and I both have the 26m, so our location may be different.
The box you referenced under the Brillo box is the cover for the fuse panel and converter in ours. The floor around that box is what Wyatt is referring to, that must be lifted out to access the inverter in the 26m. If yours is similar, you may have drawers to the right of the under sink cabinet? Remove a drawer and shine a flashlight in there.
Wyatt, as usual, is spot on with the advice, but an additional tip that we’ve all been burned by is this...the inverter must only be on WITHOUT generator or shore power. If you have the inverter turned on and then turn on the generator, you will eventually find that your refrigerator is dark or the tv’s don’t work when you turn off the generator, because it tripped the inverter. You’ll have to know where it is to push the reset button. I’ve done it twice now, so I left the screws out of the panel for the next time it happens. :(

Wyatt...that’s the fix for upside down pictures? I’ve never heard why it happens on some websites, but I’ll have to give it a shot. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2020, 07:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
Wyatt...that’s the fix for upside down pictures? I’ve never heard why it happens on some websites, but I’ll have to give it a shot. Thanks!
That is the quick fix. Reduces picture quality, but it works. Otherwise open in an editor on a computer, rotate, and re-save (rotate&re-save even if desktop shows orientation the way you expect).
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #6
Site Team

We’ve posted a number of times about the “upside down or sideways photos” Wyatt prefers taking an extra step by taking a screen shot of his photo and attaching that. But the real way to fix the issue is to take the photo correctly with your phone.

Here’s how:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3859100
Old 05-14-2020, 10:51 AM   #7
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Wyatt

You say "there’s no need to go there for you". Do you mean that it's easier to use the TV outlet when I want to use the inverter? I may still want to try to get to the inverter, if it's in that box, just for my own "edification", if that's where the inverter is located. And once I open it up, maybe it would be easier than trying to run an extension to the TV outlet, but not much.

It looks like maybe the side slides out of that box in my photo, but when I tried to move it, it didn't budge.
YGoHOM is also, correct, that white box just covers the back of the power center with the battery charger and fuses.

There is a GFCI outlet at the back of the inverter. My Intent only has one plug being used, so theoretically, one could plug in an extension cord there, or even run a plug and a Romex wire out to an external plug near your kitchen, that of course, you’d have to install...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9E677005-2352-4A6A-ADB6-264ECDE23AD2.jpeg
Views:	152
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	173491  
Old 05-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #8
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
We’ve posted a number of times about the “upside down or sideways photos” Wyatt prefers taking an extra step by taking a screen shot of his photo and attaching that. But the real way to fix the issue is to take the photo correctly with your phone.

Here’s how:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3859100
I do, because I’m almost always on my iPad. And it’s easiest for me just to take whatever photos I have, and when I pull them up, simply screenshot them and upload. They’re a smaller file size that way too.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

So, rather than assume it's the same as a 26M, I took a look at the Winnebago parts catalog, and wiring diagrams. Yup, same place. And it only powers the refrigerator and 3 TVs.

Attached are three images. First is from the parts catalog showing the inverter in the galley cabinet. Second is from the diagrams, showing the plugs it powers. And third is a second image of the location, from the wiring installation drawing. (I used 2019 as the year, not sure that's right, not sure what year yours is. Should check your year to be 100% sure.)

As for why it's not setup to power more outlets. It's a relatively small inverter, it's not designed to power the whole coach.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	30Rparts.PNG
Views:	144
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	173492   Click image for larger version

Name:	30Rdiagram.PNG
Views:	93
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	173494  

Attached Images

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:55 PM   #10
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Exploded intent diagrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
So, rather than assume it's the same as a 26M, I took a look at the Winnebago parts catalog, and wiring diagrams. Yup, same place. And it only powers the refrigerator and 3 TVs.

Attached are three images. First is from the parts catalog showing the inverter in the galley cabinet. Second is from the diagrams, showing the plugs it powers. And third is a second image of the location, from the wiring installation drawing. (I used 2019 as the year, not sure that's right, not sure what year yours is. Should check your year to be 100% sure.)

As for why it's not setup to power more outlets. It's a relatively small inverter, it's not designed to power the whole coach.
Hi Tim, Where may I ask, where are you finding those really cool exploded diagrams that you posted? Thanks!
Old 05-14-2020, 08:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Hi Tim, Where may I ask, where are you finding those really cool exploded diagrams that you posted? Thanks!

For 2011 model years, the parts catalog is 3D.

Parts Catalog

There's notes there that describe that you need Internet Explorer on a Windows machine to use it though.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:12 PM   #12
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Winnebago Parts Catelog

Quote:

Parts Catalog

There's notes there that describe that you need Internet Explorer on a Windows machine to use it though.
Thanks Tim! I’ve seen that page, but I have a Mac, so couldn’t open it. Tried now on my pc and cool (had to install Internet Explorer 11). Way better than their simple diagrams...

Nice tip!
Old 05-15-2020, 12:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Those are some cool CAD diagrams. I'm going to try to load all of mine when I have an hour or two.

As an update, yesterday when we were doing laundry I started the inverter in the parking lot. I wanted to toast some bread. I found out the inverter can't handle a toaster. I plugged the toaster into the TV outlet. The toaster started but after 5 seconds it started to beep an alarm and shut off. I tried again and the same thing happened. So I heated my bread on the stove using gas. That will be my fallback method instead of a toaster.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:41 PM   #14
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Inverter limitations...

Quote:
Those are some cool CAD diagrams. I'm going to try to load all of mine when I have an hour or two.

As an update, yesterday when we were doing laundry I started the inverter in the parking lot. I wanted to toast some bread. I found out the inverter can't handle a toaster. I plugged the toaster into the TV outlet. The toaster started but after 5 seconds it started to beep an alarm and shut off. I tried again and the same thing happened. So I heated my bread on the stove using gas. That will be my fallback method instead of a toaster.
From my earlier post to you...

“ REMEMBER, THAT YOU HAVE ONLY 1,000 WATTS, SO DON’T TRY A COFFEE MACHINE OR HAIR DRYER ON THAT CIRCUIT.”

My bad, I didn’t mention toasters. Ok, so ANYTHING that pulls more the 1,000 watts will trip the inverter. The inverter does have some peak headroom for initial device start up demand, but then so do many appliances that can eat up that headroom fast.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:49 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

My inverter only runs ONE plug...I tried them all. The TVs do have a red light at the bottom corner that stays on. But the plug receptacle for those Is in the back of the tv making it almost impossible to get to. Thank you for the advice to turn off the inverter before starting the generator and/or shore power. Also the advice not to use a coffee pot using just the inverter. I learn so much good advice from you guys!! My inverter is located next to the bigger panel that shows tank levels, etc. on the wall area above the fridge.
Birdie2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:15 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Parts Catalog

It's pretty amazing that they're so restrictive in this day and age. Come on, Winnebago, catch up with the world.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:43 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Hello Steve
The inverter is under the sink you have to unscrew the floor.
Sometimes it trips and you have to reset it. I believe it’s only wired to the TVs fridge and the one plug in the outside bar area the one on the wall buy the TV.
macvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:28 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie2017 View Post
My inverter only runs ONE plug...I tried them all. The TVs do have a red light at the bottom corner that stays on. But the plug receptacle for those Is in the back of the tv making it almost impossible to get to. Thank you for the advice to turn off the inverter before starting the generator and/or shore power. Also the advice not to use a coffee pot using just the inverter. I learn so much good advice from you guys!! My inverter is located next to the bigger panel that shows tank levels, etc. on the wall area above the fridge.
Just a note to make things a bit more clear if later folks read this. Since you mention a different set of outlets being powered, I might guess that you also have a bit different RV???
So the confusion comes in if we don't get specific when we talk RVs. One good reason we should all make sure to add the years make and model of RV to our signature as a way to get that info posted upfront each time we post.
Saves confusion and saves to so that we can cut straight to the details.
There are tons of different options and different levels of things like inverters, so if you really want to know what you can power with your inverter, it is likely better to look at your manual,etc and verify how much power it has to offer. In this case, the 1000 watt inverter will not power things like toasters which often use more like 1200-1500 watts.
Most electrical items will be labeled for how much power they use, so it is a matter of knowing what you need for that item versus what your RV inverter has available.
It's often a question of money when they build but if we are needing/wanting to power more, we do have the option to replace the inverter with a more powerful unit and while at it, we can wire out more outlets to the places we want to use things.
Always just a few dollars more!!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:46 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I guess my inverter reset itself when I heard the alarm using my toaster, because the TVs and fridge seem to still be working. Then again, I've been on electric hookup. So maybe I need to disconnect and try to use the inverter to run my TV.

Morich

That is a good tip. I have added info about my Winnebago in my profile. I will see if it appears here. I may have noted it in my original post, but here again, I have a 2020 Winnebago Intent 30R.

Thanks, Steve
Old 05-21-2020, 11:52 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
I have added info about my Winnebago in my profile. I will see if it appears here.
Click on "User CP" top left hand side of the page in orange
Click on "Edit Signature" on the left column menu
Enter your Year, Model, floorplan, Toad, etc
Click "Save Signature"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EditSignature.png
Views:	83
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	173567  

Tags
inverter