Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

filler cap on hydraulic system for Itasca Suncruiser

I have a hexagon cap on top of my haydralic reservior that appears to be loose. I have no exoerience with & afraid to try to turn.Any help would be appreciated Dick
Dick Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We just returned from a tough Mexican road trip and while checking the hydraulic reservoir I noticed some obvious leakage signs on the reservoir (bumpy roads lossened it?). The cap was loose so I unscrewed it and noted that the fluid was low. Refilled the fluid and tightened the cap and now all is well.

2006 Itasca 33V
roaminhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Be very careful if you take the cap off and then screw it back on. The reservoir is metal and the cap is plastic. It is very easy to cross thread the cap. Both my dealer and I have done that with my cap. I now carry a spare just in case.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: The reason the cap seems loose is that it is vented and always wiggles. (at least mine does) the tempetation is to overfill the reservoir and that makes a big mess as excess fluid comes out the cap and ends up on the ground. Make sure you check the level with all the slides in and the jacks up.
Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I am confused and probably therefore not sure where this filler/checker is?

I have an Itrasca 38J

A repairman replacing a hyudraulic control said the filler was under the cab behind the wheel on the drivers side with the solonoids (which he was replacing one of) and since space is tight this is really available only when the slide is out.

Probably I am once again lost.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I filled mine on a Newmar Mountainaire with the jacks down once, what a mess when they retracted. The same would seem to be true for a hydraulic slide! So please do not overfill, at least not on a clean driveway!
Old 04-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The reservoir on my 2007 38J is on the driver's side just about in line with the front of the slide. I agree that it would be quite difficult to check the fluid with the slide closed but that is what the instructions say to do.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I can just barely get my hand/arm in through the access hole. I loosen and tighen the cap with a socket and extension with a tee handle. Then I use a dowel with a fill line marched on it to check the fluid level. I have to extend the slide to fill, but have gotten good estimating the amount of fluid to add.

Our coach is back in for service on the hydraulic system, leaking solenoids , jacks not extending, and slides not retracting. When the system works, it works great, but when it stops working, everything stops.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbumn View Post
I can just barely get my hand/arm in through the access hole. I loosen and tighen the cap with a socket and extension with a tee handle. Then I use a dowel with a fill line marched on it to check the fluid level. I have to extend the slide to fill, but have gotten good estimating the amount of fluid to add.
I have a 2005 Suncruiser 38R. I can access the fill with the slides in by opening the front basement door in the slide. The basement compartment in the 2005 is only in the lower half of the area the door covers. The upper half gives me access to the front slide mechanism and I can reach the hydraulic pump and fill theough this area.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote