Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Fiberglass Skin Crack Logical?

I have a 2009 Winnebago Chalet with a fiberglass exterior. This RV spent its first years in Maine (cold!). Last November 9th Camping World called to tell me that my stored RV developed a significant crack in the fiberglass which they surmised was due to cold snap (got down to 29 degrees for an hour or so).

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any idea who I could contact at the factory to find out if this makes any sense. Camping World says they did not do it and my AAA insurance adjuster said it was due to the temp in their review.

Hogwash??? Please advise and Merry Christmas to all!
Alan Cates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I vote 'Hogwash'.
29 degrees is not THAT cold!
Sure, it's chilly for us humans, but it shouldn't mean a darn thing to a properly built piece of fiberglass. Now if you'd said negative 29 I'd be more tempted to believe (but would still question how well it was built).
Old 12-12-2018, 05:03 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
I vote 'Hogwash'.
29 degrees is not THAT cold!
Sure, it's chilly for us humans, but it shouldn't mean a darn thing to a properly built piece of fiberglass. Now if you'd said negative 29 I'd be more tempted to believe (but would still question how well it was built).
X2!!!!! That isn't cold..........just a little chilly.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #4
1999 chieftain 33

delamination possibly

If the fiber glass has delaminated or blistered then water could well have permeated the fberglass and at 29 degrees water trapped within the fiberglass would freeze and expand cracking just like a water hose.
carlwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:30 PM   #5
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Talk to any sailboater and the subject of delamination is not to many conversations away. This usually occurs when water penetrates the deck and the temperature cycles below freezing and above many times over the winter. This is what it sounds like to me. Your description did not say if it was the side panels or the roof. In any case, you should be able to feel the delamination by pressing the fiberglass panels from stem to stern to see if there is significant give in the base layer below. I doubt that one temperature cycle below freezing for a few hours would cause this. It sounds more long term degradation and may have been fixed at some prior time and more recently separated again due to heat stresses on the roof or side of the coach. Sun on the side of the coach makes the fiberglass very hot which causes expansion and contraction. I hope you find a solution that is cost effective.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote