Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-21-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone installed a Fantastic vent themselves? I am wondering since the existing vent is inline with all of the 12 volt ceiling lights if there is 12 volt electricity up in the vent already and thus it is a rather straight forward install. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone installed a Fantastic vent themselves? I am wondering since the existing vent is inline with all of the 12 volt ceiling lights if there is 12 volt electricity up in the vent already and thus it is a rather straight forward install. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks

2005 Honda Element
Old 01-21-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Was some sort of powered vent an option? If so, there's wires there. If not, you may be doing some fishing...

(Have you looked over the online wiring diagrams, they may be of some help. Which vent are you looking to replace? Galley area?)

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Tim, yes, the galley area. Looked at the wiring diagram and it didn't help out a lot. I should have just pulled the frame for the vent out and had a quick look this weekend but hard to do when the wife and family are saying, "Let's go"

2005 Honda Element
Old 01-21-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Not a difficult install even if there is no power. I used a piece of fish tape to poke through the styrofoam from one of the ceiling lights to the fan. If you aim straight you can push it through just above the fiberboard they use on the ceiling. You can possibly use a coat hanger ( make sure it is straight and not a long run with a coat hanger as they can flex quite a bit and get you off course) or maybe a thin dowel or rod with the end sharpened to help it go through. strip the end of a wire and wrap it around the rod or dowel, slightly stagger the ends so you have a sort of taper to go thru easier. The best way is to have the stripped section on the dowel and the other wire attached behind the dowel. tape it all together on th with electrical tape. Make sure the tape is tight and end the wrap behind the dowel on the wire area so it doesn't catch and come off.
The wire terminations used by Winnebago will most likely be the crimp on type. You can reuse them if you are careful with the pliers. Otherwise get some of the yellow electrical wire nuts to replace the crimpon type.
Watch your polarity or you're fan will be running in the opposite direction than you wanted
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I'd be very surprised if your vent isn't already wired for power. Most RVs sold nowdays are wired for all the options whether you actually order the option or not. For example our Sunrise came wired for the bedroom tv including antenna and dish hookup even though we didn't order the bedroom tv option. We knew that when we ordered the rv and saved money by putting the tv in ourselves. Same thing with our 1994 Travel Trailer. When I wanted to add a fantastic fan to the bedroom vent I found the power was already there in the roof as soon as I took the old vent cover off. All I had to do was hook up to it.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I put a Fantastic vent in place of the galley vent. Swap was simple as the 12VDC wires were already there as a powered vent is an option for my MH.

Cheers!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I put one on our old '03 Minnie 31C.

As ctcamper says, I had to run from the vent to the existing 12v light. Mine was a very short run, and was easy to do with a coat hanger. I also replaced the cheesy fan in the bath with a Fantastic, and did both with the rain sensor so that I could let one pull and one push air through while parked at the house in the heat.

I did the same thing with our current rig, but only had to replace the control part as it was already equipped with Fantastic fans.

HTH

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote