RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-09-2017, 04:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner
 
billyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: bel air, md
Posts: 126
Fake wheel cover nuts

Ok now for my next problem with our new to us adventurer 32h. Anyone know where I can get the Cheap lug nut tool for removing the caps that hold the wheel cover on to access the lug nuts
__________________
09 adventurer towing 15 focus
billyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner
 
davismills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 51
https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Wheel...caAlitEALw_wcB
__________________
Dave and Holly
2011 Winnebago Sightseer 33c with a 2011 Honda CRV behind.
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner
 
Cover Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chardon, Ohio
Posts: 50
One came with ours when we picked it up.
__________________
Bill, Maura & Rosie the rescued "Boston Terrier"
2016 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2014 CR-V AWD w/Blue Ox & NSA Ready Brute Elite
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593 & WIT 170814
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Master
 
Jim_HiTek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Full time RV'er
Posts: 889
OK, that's the tool, but where do you find replacement nuts? One of mine, passenger side rear wheel got loose and just fell off on the road somewhere.

It's a chrome 'acorn' cap with a thin lug nut inside...comes that way as standard equipment. But I haven't found one on the internet anywhere. Freightliner chassis. Anyone have a link?
__________________
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner
 
billyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: bel air, md
Posts: 126
Fake lug nut

Try ebay
__________________
09 adventurer towing 15 focus
billyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Master
 
Jim_HiTek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Full time RV'er
Posts: 889
I have tried eBay and none of those I saw are the right ones.
__________________
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Upstate, South Carolina
Posts: 97
I have seen them at Camping World. Call first, if it's along ride for you.


Recently I had a situation, while having a truck shop install balancing beads in my 22.5" tires. The last installer must have tightened the hubcap nut with the same 500 ft-lb air wrench use on the real lugnuts. The guys didn't have the large socket to fit the fake hubcap nuts, so could not get them off. Big problem. Finally one of them use a big adjustable wrench and a hammer to loosen them. Geez, this is why I do my own work, when I can.


By the way, the balancing beads work great!
Richard
__________________
2010 Winnebago Journey 34Y
2007 Saturn Vue toad, Invisibrake.
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Master
 
Jim_HiTek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Full time RV'er
Posts: 889
Thanks for the suggestion, Skyking.

I will be passing a CW next Tuesday, Nov. 21st. It's right off of I-15 outside of Vegas so won't take me long to check. Their online store doesn't show any of my style in their entire national system, maybe their service dept stocks them? Fingers crossed.

FYI: Regarding your issue (happens a lot) with the fake chrome hubcap nuts being too tight...the domed chrome just part pulls off (picture of tool linked above in this thread). And if it's somehow rusted onto the thin lug nut, they're under $3 most places (like Flying J or Love's) when you can find them and that's cheap enough that a hole can be drilled in the dome part and tin snips can be used to cut it off if necessary. Or they can be knocked off with a sludge hammer. Than a standard socket will fit that nut.

In my case, the previous tire tech knew they weren't suppose to be too tight so one ended up too loose and fell off.
__________________
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Master
 
bobmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 549
You will find the lug not covers in most large truck stops reasonably priced.
__________________
Bob
09 Journey 39Z
Southern Ontario
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:41 PM   #10
Former Winnebago Owner
 
NMBluept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 61
Hi,

My 2011 Meridian has the stainless steel wheel liners. They are held on by 2 lug nut type fasteners. I lost one on a rear wheel and after a bit of research found the replacement at Lazy Days RV Accessories. Here's the part description and #:

Dicor V19582EJN Enclosed Jam Nut

It cost $10.29 plus $6.00 for shipping. Lazy Days also carries the decal that goes in the center of the wheel liner. You can use the Dicor part # to search
for other suppliers. If you are looking for the covers for the lug nuts on aluminum wheels look at Walmart in the Automotive area or any truck stop (maybe you can find some of those long spike looking covers). Another good place to look is the fuel lanes at a truck stop, I've seen them laying around, apparently they are pretty easy to knock off:-)
__________________
Albert Irusta
2011 Itasca Meridian 34Y
2006 Jeep Liberty
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Roseburg, OR
Posts: 8
I am also missing some of those... I'm going to replace them with Alcoas.. lol.
__________________
87 Itasca Sunflyer 22
cascadeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:07 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, Skyking.

I will be passing a CW next Tuesday, Nov. 21st. It's right off of I-15 outside of Vegas so won't take me long to check. Their online store doesn't show any of my style in their entire national system, maybe their service dept stocks them? Fingers crossed.

FYI: Regarding your issue (happens a lot) with the fake chrome hubcap nuts being too tight...the domed chrome just part pulls off (picture of tool linked above in this thread). And if it's somehow rusted onto the thin lug nut, they're under $3 most places (like Flying J or Love's) when you can find them and that's cheap enough that a hole can be drilled in the dome part and tin snips can be used to cut it off if necessary. Or they can be knocked off with a sludge hammer. Than a standard socket will fit that nut.

In my case, the previous tire tech knew they weren't suppose to be too tight so one ended up too loose and fell off.
Did you find them?
__________________
Purchased 10/1/2019
2019 Winnebago Adventurer 30T
USMC Retired
Dlvgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Master
 
Jim_HiTek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Full time RV'er
Posts: 889
For any lurkers finding this thread...I did find jam nuts and acorn chromed covers for the nuts at the Wheelco Truck & Trailer Parts and Service- Sioux Fall, SD. Across the street from Tower RV Park.

They weren't the exact size as the one that was missing so naturally the covers were different. They had a selection of different sizes of lug nut covers but none of the exact size I was trying to replace.

Because of that, I bought 8 new jam nuts along with the covers...two for each wheel that needed them. Now, when I have tire work, I just tell the tech the jam nuts are under the tall covers. So they don't stumble around trying to remove the wheel covers incorrectly...which has happened at truck tire shops before.

BTW, it took a bunch of arm twisting at the Winnebago Repair Service Dept. in Forest City, IA but as I was leaving town I finally got an email of the proper torque for the jam nuts. 40 ft-lbs. The tech mislead or lied, not sure which, that he'd just torqued them tight plus a quarter turn because it cost the next shop an hour (labor I had to pay for) and lots of my help to remove the chrome wheel covers because he'd torqued the jam nuts to 125 ft-lbs., which distorted the metal of the cover and we wanted to get them off in one piece.

His dodging of my question of 'what was the torque' was clear after that. He didn't know. The shop didn't know. They had 5 days to dig out the info too.
__________________
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:20 AM   #14
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Pflugerville/Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,327
When discussing this last time on how to sort which one, I seem to have come up with a quick way, rather than looking for the notches on the sides of the covers. If I use something like a screwdriver to tap, there is a very different "ring" when I find the right ones as they are not as firmly set to the cover.
If you get two "rings" and the other four are "dongs", go for taking off the ring?
__________________
Richard
2015 Winnebago Vista 31KE on 2014 chassis
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:21 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 30
Mine are the one immediately to the right of the valve stem, and the one directly opposite that one. I have 19.5" wheels and the jam nuts take a 1-1/8" socket. I also carry a couple of 14x1.5mm fine thread nuts in case I need to replace a lost jam nut while on the road.
__________________
2015 Vista 27N
wyocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:22 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
For any lurkers finding this thread...I did find jam nuts and acorn chromed covers for the nuts at the Wheelco Truck & Trailer Parts and Service- Sioux Fall, SD. Across the street from Tower RV Park.

They weren't the exact size as the one that was missing so naturally the covers were different. They had a selection of different sizes of lug nut covers but none of the exact size I was trying to replace.

Because of that, I bought 8 new jam nuts along with the covers...two for each wheel that needed them. Now, when I have tire work, I just tell the tech the jam nuts are under the tall covers. So they don't stumble around trying to remove the wheel covers incorrectly...which has happened at truck tire shops before.

BTW, it took a bunch of arm twisting at the Winnebago Repair Service Dept. in Forest City, IA but as I was leaving town I finally got an email of the proper torque for the jam nuts. 40 ft-lbs. The tech mislead or lied, not sure which, that he'd just torqued them tight plus a quarter turn because it cost the next shop an hour (labor I had to pay for) and lots of my help to remove the chrome wheel covers because he'd torqued the jam nuts to 125 ft-lbs., which distorted the metal of the cover and we wanted to get them off in one piece.

His dodging of my question of 'what was the torque' was clear after that. He didn't know. The shop didn't know. They had 5 days to dig out the info too.
Funny, I am in Mitchell, SD today and they have a Wheelco here. I thought Iíd gotten real lucky. Unfortunately they didnít have anything like what I need. Iím hoping the one in Sioux Falls does. Weíre going through there tomorrow.
__________________
Purchased 10/1/2019
2019 Winnebago Adventurer 30T
USMC Retired
Dlvgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:34 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
When discussing this last time on how to sort which one, I seem to have come up with a quick way, rather than looking for the notches on the sides of the covers. If I use something like a screwdriver to tap, there is a very different "ring" when I find the right ones as they are not as firmly set to the cover.
If you get two "rings" and the other four are "dongs", go for taking off the ring?
I noticed that mine donít have the bottom flange that the non-nut covers have. Itís subtle, but once you see it once, itís easy to see it in the future.
__________________
Purchased 10/1/2019
2019 Winnebago Adventurer 30T
USMC Retired
Dlvgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pounding rattle noise driving me nuts Americanrascal General Maintenance and Repair 9 03-05-2015 03:19 PM
Encapsulated jam nuts for Itasca Suncruser CRVMAN01 General Maintenance and Repair 11 08-04-2014 07:05 AM
This is making me nuts! retdep018 Winnebago Class A Motorhomes 8 06-18-2014 10:39 PM
Wheel lug nuts DKK47 Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires 9 10-22-2010 05:09 PM
Wheel liner lug nuts Craig H Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires 9 08-12-2009 08:24 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×