Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2017, 03:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Fake wheel cover nuts

Ok now for my next problem with our new to us adventurer 32h. Anyone know where I can get the Cheap lug nut tool for removing the caps that hold the wheel cover on to access the lug nuts
Old 11-09-2017, 04:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Wheel...caAlitEALw_wcB
Old 11-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

One came with ours when we picked it up.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593 & WIT 170814
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

OK, that's the tool, but where do you find replacement nuts? One of mine, passenger side rear wheel got loose and just fell off on the road somewhere.

It's a chrome 'acorn' cap with a thin lug nut inside...comes that way as standard equipment. But I haven't found one on the internet anywhere. Freightliner chassis. Anyone have a link?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Fake lug nut

Try ebay
Old 11-16-2017, 08:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have tried eBay and none of those I saw are the right ones.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have seen them at Camping World. Call first, if it's along ride for you.

Recently I had a situation, while having a truck shop install balancing beads in my 22.5" tires. The last installer must have tightened the hubcap nut with the same 500 ft-lb air wrench use on the real lugnuts. The guys didn't have the large socket to fit the fake hubcap nuts, so could not get them off. Big problem. Finally one of them use a big adjustable wrench and a hammer to loosen them. Geez, this is why I do my own work, when I can.

By the way, the balancing beads work great!
Richard
Old 11-19-2017, 08:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the suggestion, Skyking.

I will be passing a CW next Tuesday, Nov. 21st. It's right off of I-15 outside of Vegas so won't take me long to check. Their online store doesn't show any of my style in their entire national system, maybe their service dept stocks them? Fingers crossed.

FYI: Regarding your issue (happens a lot) with the fake chrome hubcap nuts being too tight...the domed chrome just part pulls off (picture of tool linked above in this thread). And if it's somehow rusted onto the thin lug nut, they're under $3 most places (like Flying J or Love's) when you can find them and that's cheap enough that a hole can be drilled in the dome part and tin snips can be used to cut it off if necessary. Or they can be knocked off with a sludge hammer. Than a standard socket will fit that nut.

In my case, the previous tire tech knew they weren't suppose to be too tight so one ended up too loose and fell off.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

You will find the lug not covers in most large truck stops reasonably priced.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:41 AM   #10
Former Winnebago Owner

Hi,

My 2011 Meridian has the stainless steel wheel liners. They are held on by 2 lug nut type fasteners. I lost one on a rear wheel and after a bit of research found the replacement at Lazy Days RV Accessories. Here's the part description and #:

Dicor V19582EJN Enclosed Jam Nut

It cost $10.29 plus $6.00 for shipping. Lazy Days also carries the decal that goes in the center of the wheel liner. You can use the Dicor part # to search
for other suppliers. If you are looking for the covers for the lug nuts on aluminum wheels look at Walmart in the Automotive area or any truck stop (maybe you can find some of those long spike looking covers). Another good place to look is the fuel lanes at a truck stop, I've seen them laying around, apparently they are pretty easy to knock off:-)
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I am also missing some of those... I'm going to replace them with Alcoas.. lol.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:07 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, Skyking.

I will be passing a CW next Tuesday, Nov. 21st. It's right off of I-15 outside of Vegas so won't take me long to check. Their online store doesn't show any of my style in their entire national system, maybe their service dept stocks them? Fingers crossed.

FYI: Regarding your issue (happens a lot) with the fake chrome hubcap nuts being too tight...the domed chrome just part pulls off (picture of tool linked above in this thread). And if it's somehow rusted onto the thin lug nut, they're under $3 most places (like Flying J or Love's) when you can find them and that's cheap enough that a hole can be drilled in the dome part and tin snips can be used to cut it off if necessary. Or they can be knocked off with a sludge hammer. Than a standard socket will fit that nut.

In my case, the previous tire tech knew they weren't suppose to be too tight so one ended up too loose and fell off.
Did you find them?
Dlvgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

For any lurkers finding this thread...I did find jam nuts and acorn chromed covers for the nuts at the Wheelco Truck & Trailer Parts and Service- Sioux Fall, SD. Across the street from Tower RV Park.

They weren't the exact size as the one that was missing so naturally the covers were different. They had a selection of different sizes of lug nut covers but none of the exact size I was trying to replace.

Because of that, I bought 8 new jam nuts along with the covers...two for each wheel that needed them. Now, when I have tire work, I just tell the tech the jam nuts are under the tall covers. So they don't stumble around trying to remove the wheel covers incorrectly...which has happened at truck tire shops before.

BTW, it took a bunch of arm twisting at the Winnebago Repair Service Dept. in Forest City, IA but as I was leaving town I finally got an email of the proper torque for the jam nuts. 40 ft-lbs. The tech mislead or lied, not sure which, that he'd just torqued them tight plus a quarter turn because it cost the next shop an hour (labor I had to pay for) and lots of my help to remove the chrome wheel covers because he'd torqued the jam nuts to 125 ft-lbs., which distorted the metal of the cover and we wanted to get them off in one piece.

His dodging of my question of 'what was the torque' was clear after that. He didn't know. The shop didn't know. They had 5 days to dig out the info too.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:20 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

When discussing this last time on how to sort which one, I seem to have come up with a quick way, rather than looking for the notches on the sides of the covers. If I use something like a screwdriver to tap, there is a very different "ring" when I find the right ones as they are not as firmly set to the cover.
If you get two "rings" and the other four are "dongs", go for taking off the ring?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:21 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Mine are the one immediately to the right of the valve stem, and the one directly opposite that one. I have 19.5" wheels and the jam nuts take a 1-1/8" socket. I also carry a couple of 14x1.5mm fine thread nuts in case I need to replace a lost jam nut while on the road.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:22 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
For any lurkers finding this thread...I did find jam nuts and acorn chromed covers for the nuts at the Wheelco Truck & Trailer Parts and Service- Sioux Fall, SD. Across the street from Tower RV Park.

They weren't the exact size as the one that was missing so naturally the covers were different. They had a selection of different sizes of lug nut covers but none of the exact size I was trying to replace.

Because of that, I bought 8 new jam nuts along with the covers...two for each wheel that needed them. Now, when I have tire work, I just tell the tech the jam nuts are under the tall covers. So they don't stumble around trying to remove the wheel covers incorrectly...which has happened at truck tire shops before.

BTW, it took a bunch of arm twisting at the Winnebago Repair Service Dept. in Forest City, IA but as I was leaving town I finally got an email of the proper torque for the jam nuts. 40 ft-lbs. The tech mislead or lied, not sure which, that he'd just torqued them tight plus a quarter turn because it cost the next shop an hour (labor I had to pay for) and lots of my help to remove the chrome wheel covers because he'd torqued the jam nuts to 125 ft-lbs., which distorted the metal of the cover and we wanted to get them off in one piece.

His dodging of my question of 'what was the torque' was clear after that. He didn't know. The shop didn't know. They had 5 days to dig out the info too.
Funny, I am in Mitchell, SD today and they have a Wheelco here. I thought I’d gotten real lucky. Unfortunately they didn’t have anything like what I need. I’m hoping the one in Sioux Falls does. We’re going through there tomorrow.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:34 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
When discussing this last time on how to sort which one, I seem to have come up with a quick way, rather than looking for the notches on the sides of the covers. If I use something like a screwdriver to tap, there is a very different "ring" when I find the right ones as they are not as firmly set to the cover.
If you get two "rings" and the other four are "dongs", go for taking off the ring?
I noticed that mine don’t have the bottom flange that the non-nut covers have. It’s subtle, but once you see it once, it’s easy to see it in the future.