Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2018, 10:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Express 34y

Need response ASAP. We are in talks to buy a 2011 Canyon Star 3856 from PPL in Texas. Thought we could not afford a DP but just looked at La Mesa Rv and they have a Journey Express 34y in Florida and are asking $90000.00 That price if we could get it out the door would work for us. Pros and cons about the 34y?? Would love to have a DP. Same floor plan as the Sightseer??
Thanks
Dale
golfer guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:11 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The Journey/Meridian 34y has the same floorplan as the Sightseer/Sunova 33c. We love ours as it has a large living room with the opposing slides and with the TV on the wall. You didn't mention what year the 34y is but the TV may pop up out of the buffet instead of being on the wall. With the TV on the wall it was easy to change out the 40" RCA OEM one for a 50" Samsung.

If we were to go to a diesel it would be to the Journey/Meridian 34y just because of the floorplan and the nice size. With the almost full length slideout it gives you a lot of room for the length.

Personally, I would prefer the 2009 model as it has the 350 ISB XT 6.7L engine with 750 ft-lbs of torque. In 2010 and newer years Winnebago switched to the 340 ISB 6.7L engine with 660 ft-lbs of torque.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151018_132141.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	169426  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

aauummm, thanks for the quick reply. I took a look at the Meridians on RVT and they look just like the Express- what is the difference? Am new to DPs. This unit is least expensive that I have seen but with 78000 miles. I will send a mobile mechanic to check it out. am wondering about brakes an suspension with that many miles. Do you folks think a good set of tires would have any thread after those miles?
Thanks
Old 04-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Post updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer guy View Post
aauummm, thanks for the quick reply. I took a look at the Meridians on RVT and they look just like the Express- what is the difference? Am new to DPs. This unit is least expensive that I have seen but with 78000 miles. I will send a mobile mechanic to check it out. am wondering about brakes an suspension with that many miles. Do you folks think a good set of tires would have any thread after those miles?
Thanks
Winnebago designated the 34y as the Express for only 2010 and 2011 model years. For model year 2009 the 34y was built on the Freightliner XC chassis. For 2010 it was built on the Freightliner XCS chassis and then they added a bigger Journey that was built on the Freightliner Maxum XCL chassis. So basically they put the 34y on a cheaper chassis with a smaller engine, transmission and GVWR for 2010 and newer. Other than the chassis change there isn't much difference between model years for the coach floorplan portion.

There is no difference between the Journey 34y and the Meridian 34y, just the outside badges. Both made by Winnebago on the same factory line, just slap a different name on each one as it rolls off the line.

It should have had the tires changed out some time ago at least once if not twice for that many miles and age. I see no pictures for the unit on RVTrader so I'd like to see a bunch of pictures in addition to the mechanic inspection before getting serious about the unit. At least 40-50 pictures. The inspector should be especially careful in looking for signs of a flooded unit. The brakes and suspension may need some work as in brake pads/rotors and shocks.

You may want to get an extended warranty that covers everything, as it can get very expensive if something goes bad, unless you are willing to risk it and go self-insured.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

aauumm, thanks.
We have decided to pass on this one because in further research we found that with the XCS chassis has a much rougher ride and a lot less storage in the bays.
Thanks
Old 04-17-2018, 10:36 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer guy View Post
aauumm, thanks.
We have decided to pass on this one because in further research we found that with the XCS chassis has a much rougher ride and a lot less storage in the bays.
Thanks
I took a look at your Canyon Star and I'm very impressed with it. Beautiful unit and it has a bunch of options that I wish I had. It is a high quality unit that I'm sure you will enjoy. I like the living room floorplan with the TV on the wall at eye level as I think it is the only way to go. Happy Trails to you!