Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-23-2021, 08:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Entry Door Locks Question

Just picked up a 2019 Winnebago Vista 27PE. I only got one TriMark key for the entry door and it only fits the upper dead bolt lock. It won't even go into the door handle lock.

Should I have gotten a different key for the door handle lock? Or should the key I have fit both locks and something is wrong with the door handle lock?

On our previous trailer, one key fit both locks.

Thanks!
Packfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The key for the bottom lock on the Vista (at least our 2020 Vista 29V) is the same key that is used for the outside compartments. I hope you have that one also.

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Should be two keys at least. If a new unit, several more as spares! Also a big allen type key is often provided to release the motor cover on RV.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks guys!

Sundog nailed it. I didn't even think to try the storage compartment key in the door handle lock. Mystery solved!
Packfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packfan View Post
Thanks guys!

Sundog nailed it. I didn't even think to try the storage compartment key in the door handle lock. Mystery solved!
Should be a Vikefan
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Just went through this my self. Contact TriMark with the key and lock numbers and they will make you new ones . They are not cheap...but well worth the $$$$$$$
Tom Ficca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Also on our 2018 Forza . The ignition key is also the bottom lock and compartment door key
Tom Ficca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

How odd. I have 4 keys to our Fuse and they are all different. 2 for the coach door and 1 each for the 2 outside cabinets. One of those 2 also opens the water fill but other than that they are all different.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Master Keys

Just an FYI -- while I don't believe this is a serious problem, last I checked there were only about seven (7) master keys that are needed to unlock the storage compartments on almost all Winnebagos, and most other RVs. They are relatively easy to get. They are not supposed to be sold to the public but they routinely are.

My sense is that few people are aware of that, and if they are they are not very concerned about it because if a thief wants to break into an outside compartment it's easy enough to do so without the key.

The primary issue is that the same master key can be used to get into the coach if the dead bolt is not locked.

Also, some early model year Views and Navions have a large storage compartment under the bed that is accessible from outside. It is large enough that a person could enter the coach that way -- and there is no deadbolt for that compartment door. It looks like a coach door lock, but without the deadbolt.

Again, I don't believe this is anything to really worry about, just something to be aware of.

PS: I just saw AJMike's post above. Maybe things have changed.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I ordered a third set on EBay, just search TriMark etc and use the number on your key.
We never use the actual door lock as it's too easy to bump and accidentally lock yourself out. Ours has duct tape on it after anear miss. Spare set can be kept in the propane bay, or in your toad.
Sandmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:23 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ficca View Post
Just went through this my self. Contact TriMark with the key and lock numbers and they will make you new ones . They are not cheap...but well worth the $$$$$$$

I went to my local lock shop and they made copies for me. Even an ignition key. Easy Peasy!!! Had 1 set made to hide. (just in case)
Old 03-10-2021, 09:23 PM   #12
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

The grey covered Trimark storage locker key (on my 2019 PE) is also the one that unlocks the engine bay front cover. You should have a third key (might be a Strattec) that unlocks the compartment under the bed accessed externaly by the door under the bed slide.

I too have mounted a full set of spare keys secreted on the frame; found out the hard way how easy it is to lock yourself out of a rig. But that's another story for another day.
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:45 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandmason View Post
I ordered a third set on EBay, just search TriMark etc and use the number on your key.
You don't have to go to eBay. In fact when I did a Google search for my TriMark key number it turned up this place which will send you a copy of your key for less than the prices I saw on eBay.

https://www.easykeys.com/TriMark_200..._Key_Lock.aspx

Makes me a bit nervous that replacement keys are so easy to get.
Old 03-11-2021, 12:32 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
You don't have to go to eBay. In fact when I did a Google search for my TriMark key number it turned up this place which will send you a copy of your key for less than the prices I saw on eBay.

https://www.easykeys.com/TriMark_200..._Key_Lock.aspx

Makes me a bit nervous that replacement keys are so easy to get.
It should.

That appears to be exactly what I referred to in my post above (#9).

They seem to be selling the master key -- #2001 -- as a replacement for any key in that series (2001 - 2240). It's been a few years since I looked into it, I believe that's how the numbering works.

That is very common. From what I've read, many RV dealers do the same -- because it's easier. No need to make a key, and the master is all but guaranteed to work.

As I aid above, the outside compartments are not secure to begin with. No one should keep anything valuable; critical; or irreplaceable in them. The locks only "keep honest people honest". With that in mind, the idea that anyone can get a master key -- or the entire set of 7 or 8 -- is not really a concern.

What *is* an issue, is if the coach door is keyed the same, and the owner(s) are not in the habit of using the deadbolt.

In addition, anyone who owns an earlier model View/Navion "J" (corner bed) with the large outside storage compartment under the bed should be aware that anyone with a master key can get in that way.

In an abundance of caution, I installed an additional lock on that large compartment door. Not only to make it more difficult for a thief to gain entry, but also because I sleep right on the other side of that door and do not like the idea of someone popping it open at 3 AM.

Once again, I'm not suggesting that this is a huge -- or even significant -- problem, just making people aware. We've never had any trouble and do not expect to.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:09 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post
What *is* an issue, is if the coach door is keyed the same, and the owner(s) are not in the habit of using the deadbolt.
I am puzzled by your comment. Why should using the deadbolt make any difference if someone can get a master key. Surely it would work on the deadbolt as well as any other lock in the RV.

As for me, I grew up in a big city and learned very early to lock every lock I can and to make sure they are locked before I leave. I now live in a more rural area that is much safer, but the habit of locking everything and making sure it is locked never left me. Still, nothing will stop a master key.

Fortunately we don't keep anything in the RV that I can not afford to lose except, of course, ourselves.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:37 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I am puzzled by your comment. Why should using the deadbolt make any difference if someone can get a master key. Surely it would work on the deadbolt as well as any other lock in the RV.

As for me, I grew up in a big city and learned very early to lock every lock I can and to make sure they are locked before I leave. I now live in a more rural area that is much safer, but the habit of locking everything and making sure it is locked never left me. Still, nothing will stop a master key.

Fortunately we don't keep anything in the RV that I can not afford to lose except, of course, ourselves.
I'll repeat that I'm going from memory, but my understanding was/is that either master keys for the deadbolt are very difficult to get, or that they simply do not exist. It's a different situation.

The concern, to the extent there is any, is with the little storage compartment keys. On our View, that key also opens the coach door (if the deadbolt is unlocked) and the very large door that gives access to the space under the rear corner bed -- and from there into the coach.

Newer/other models may be different, but that's how ours is keyed -- one dead bolt key, and another for everything else.

We also live in a rural area and have had zero problems with theft in 36 years. We're pretty relaxed here at home, and on the road for that matter -- depending upon where we are of course.

For a long time after getting our View in 2012, we would just lock the latch. We rarely used the deadbolt. It never occurred to me that anyone could just order master keys online. Now we almost always lock the deadbolt.

Of course, there's not much point in being obsessed with the locks, because anyone who wants to get in can just break a window.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:04 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

The thoughts on locks are often way overdone. Even on the house, if you think about what it takes to punch a hole in the wall, there really is very little reason for one to bother too much with going through the door!
Watching firemen enter a house when there is nobody there will give a whole different idea about the value of locks!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:24 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
The thoughts on locks are often way overdone. Even on the house, if you think about what it takes to punch a hole in the wall, there really is very little reason for one to bother too much with going through the door!
Watching firemen enter a house when there is nobody there will give a whole different idea about the value of locks!
Two thoughts.

1) Locks are designed to keep honest people out and, fortunately, most people are honest. I lock our home and our RV partially to make sure that no one is tempted to walk in and take something.

2) The other reason I lock the doors is this. I have insurance to pay for stuff that might disappear, but the insurance will probably not pay unless the doors were locked. Hence, lock the doors.

The locks on our Fuse are all different, so no one can use the cabinet door to unlock the coach door, but none of those locks are really secure because the outside cabinet doors are not really secure. A simple pry bar will open any of them and someone can get into the RV through the cabinet. On top of that the screen door, which we leave open while we are inside the RV, is completely insecure. No lock on it and, even if there was, the screen is simple enough to cut.

Interestingly enough the new Winnebago Ekko has a secure and lockable screen door. The screen material seems to be the same as on the secure screen doors on a house, and the door has a deadbolt. I wonder why no one has done that before.

Then again, there are plenty of windows in the RV and all it takes is breaking one and climbing in. Same with my house. In the end I suppose security is a illusion.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:57 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Two thoughts.

1) Locks are designed to keep honest people out and, fortunately, most people are honest. I lock our home and our RV partially to make sure that no one is tempted to walk in and take something.

2) The other reason I lock the doors is this. I have insurance to pay for stuff that might disappear, but the insurance will probably not pay unless the doors were locked. Hence, lock the doors.

The locks on our Fuse are all different, so no one can use the cabinet door to unlock the coach door, but none of those locks are really secure because the outside cabinet doors are not really secure. A simple pry bar will open any of them and someone can get into the RV through the cabinet. On top of that the screen door, which we leave open while we are inside the RV, is completely insecure. No lock on it and, even if there was, the screen is simple enough to cut.

Interestingly enough the new Winnebago Ekko has a secure and lockable screen door. The screen material seems to be the same as on the secure screen doors on a house, and the door has a deadbolt. I wonder why no one has done that before.

Then again, there are plenty of windows in the RV and all it takes is breaking one and climbing in. Same with my house. In the end I suppose security is a illusion.

A note about securing the screen door:

We travel with our dog and found the factory latch to be nowhere near strong enough. We installed a barrel bolt, like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...5272/202034150

We had to pad out the door frame a bit, and used thru bolts and locknuts to secure the barrel to the door.

In addition, we installed a screen guard inside the lower screen panel.

As you and Morich correctly stated, if someone wants to get in they will, but those two mods do make the door more secure -- although we did them for our dog.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:07 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post
A note about securing the screen door:

We travel with our dog and found the factory latch to be nowhere near strong enough. We installed a barrel bolt, like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...5272/202034150

We had to pad out the door frame a bit, and used thru bolts and locknuts to secure the barrel to the door.

In addition, we installed a screen guard inside the lower screen panel.

As you and Morich correctly stated, if someone wants to get in they will, but those two mods do make the door more secure -- although we did them for our dog.
I tried to do something like that a year ago but ran into a couple of issues.

First, there is not enough metal in the screen door to hold the main part of the bolt mechanism except in the middle, and then there is not enough room on the rim to hold the other part of the bolt mechanism. Could not find anyplace that worked. Second, even if I could find a good place to put it, anyone could just open the plastic screen door slide and reach in to open the bolt.

What I wanted to do was install a deadbolt, could not find anyplace to do that. It seemed easy to do until I actually tried to do it, but then that is pretty much the story of my life ...

Tags
door