Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Engine shut down while driving

Our 2005 Winnebago Sightseer Class A, has been shutting down while driving, we were able to restart by turning ignition switch off and on again and it keeps running, but a couple of times it did not. We have changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, crankshaft and camshaft sensors and have had diagnostics done at three places (one ford dealer) and we are not getting any problem codes. It is a Ford F53 6.8 liter V10. I should mention that we had some computer diagnostics done to make the motor more efficient and it started after that. Coinsidence?
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

There are no coincidences. Or so they say.

You might try joining this forum and ask the people there if they recognize your issue...Ford Truck Enthusiast

They are probably not the only Ford V10 group so maybe search.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I will head over there to check it out thanks.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

They do not cover F53 Chassis
Old 08-11-2019, 06:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
They do not cover F53 Chassis
You've described an engine issue...chassis doesn't really apply does it?

Old 08-11-2019, 06:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

The Ford website you recommended does not give me an option for the type of ford we have which is F53.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Want to hear a nightmare story?
Back in history before there was a small opening in the gas fill to keep the large hose out, we had a failure that cam e and went that was traced to a leaf in the gas tank. Apparently the lid was off and one blew in large enough to float around in the gas, sometimes being sucked against the fuel intake and stopping flow but when the engine was off, falling off the intake to let flow work. Nearly drove everybody crazy but it was my everyday car and only took about a month before we got it to the mechanic while it was still stopped up so they could tell no fuel was flowing and take the tank off. In those days gas tanks just kind of hung out on the bottom and dropping them was not much trouble.
I hope that is not your case but one to keep in the back of the mind---just in case. I have heard but never seen there is a way to flush out tanks but not at all sure of how. I might expect it to be more likely an electrical problem as they tend to be intermittent.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
The Ford website you recommended does not give me an option for the type of ford we have which is F53.
Choose 'None-still looking' and 'Never driven...' as you sign up.

This forum, like all forums of it's type, is here to offer help to owners of certain products. You qualify and have an unusual problem that could stand many eyes looking at it. There's lots of people there that have your same engine and it sounds like an engine problem to me. Worth the time to ask your question on that forum I think...but it's up to you of course.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:11 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Engine shuts down

Crazy things do happen. Thank you, we will work with our mechanic. Suppose to leave Wed for Yellowstone. Guess that's on hold
Old 08-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Have you checked the condition of your battery and alternator? If either are bad, it can stop your engine from running.
Itasca man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:29 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We need more information.
When you say "stop running", is this at idle, while accelerating, when decelerating, under heavy load, light load?
We can guess away all day, but until we know more, that's all we'll have - guesses.

We had an issue with our 2006 Sightseer. It would shut off sometimes when coming to a stop or when coasting. The throttle body was gummed up. The three-valve engines do not have an IAC Valve. The butterfly throttle plates act as the idle control air valve. It doesn't close fully. Since the manifold just behind the throttle body is the connection point for all sorts of oily inputs, the throat gummed up. The engine dies from air starvation. Watch your idle speed as you come to a stop. How far does it dip down?
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Google Ignition starter switch
I had a 2016 Itasca Sunova, that had a start problem as soon as you would release the key from the start position the engine would shut off. This happened at CG,gas stations just about every place I needed to shut the motor off.
Some people have had their vehicles shut off going down the road.
Took it to Ford since it was still under warranty, they said could not duplicate what I was telling them.
So got on the good old inter web and came across Ignition starter switch it sounded like the symptoms I was having. Purchased a new one for about $40 buck and replaced it myself.
Hope this helps
Jack
FLjeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Our Winnie left us in the dark at night on a curvy hilly road in a blind spot.

Yes Winnebago.
It turns out, the ground from the engine to the chassis was the weak link.
We were going nuts send the wife and kids out of the rig standing by the road waving flashlights back up the road to make sure no one gets obliterated.

Out of frustration I hammered about the ground and the lights and every thing came on, mission control we have power back, crank the engine and it sputters to life bellowing a huge black cloud out the back, put the fourways on, hustle every one back into the rig and mosey on down the road. Early morning as we are driving through a small town I see a fellow opening up a gas station with a service bay (rare these days eh), I described the problem, he said that weak ground probably was so hot the resistance builtup. You knocked stuff around but the cool air musta cooled stuff off plus you made a litte better connection and the Gods smiled atya. He put in a redundant hefty ground from battery to the frame, from engine to the frame and it never happened again. BTW my rig would also act funny if after a drive I stopped for less than a few hours, same issue heat soaking of electrical system.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:53 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem with a 2011 Sightseer with the Ford V10. After 6 weeks at a Ford truck dealer, the problem was diagnosed as a short in the wire to either the camshaft sensor or the crankshaft sensor, I don’t remember which one. The tech installed a jumper wire around the original wire, which was probably rubbing some metal somewhere, rubbed off the insulation, and shorting out intermittently. It never happened again after the jumper wire was installed. I hope this helps.
audriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:56 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Excuse me. To be clear, my post about the jumper wire was in response to the original post by Steele. My Sightseer was shutting down intermittently on the highway.
audriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:14 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Ours dies while on the highway, 65 mph. It has not happened at lower speeds although of the 1200 miles we traveled 98 %was highway. Shut down 10 to 20 times. Gauges go down, turn key off and on and it keeps going.
Will look into your suggestion. Thanks
Old 08-19-2019, 06:15 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Got it. Thanks
Old 08-19-2019, 09:11 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I had a Ford Crown Vic and talk about scary. It died twice on me in freeway traffic
going up a hill. I mean nothing worked, no steering, no power, nothing, with kids in the car. I promised then I would never have a Ford again just too dangerous. It turned out to be an electrical problem with a coil in the ignition system. The distributor capacitor would get hot or something and cause the coil to open or something like that. Always use Ford parts. Needless to say my MW is a Ford V10?
Jrb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:28 AM   #19
JCM
Winnebago Camper

Check your ground wire. We had the same problem and the Ford dealer ,threw everything at it including a new CPU. It was a ground wire behind the battery. Once the lug was tightened up - it worked fine. Took 3 days for the Ford dealer to find it out.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

A different thought?

Many of us carry way too much on the keychain!
Think of that weight and how it may stress the inside of the switch. Perhaps unload the stress on the switch as a cheap try?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine