Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

We did check that early on. Thanks
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:24 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Just had them check battery cables, in entirety. Nothing found. Thanks
Old 08-19-2019, 02:15 PM   #23
JCM
Winnebago Camper

It wasn't the battery cables I was referring to but the ground coming off of the CPU. Ours was located under and at the back of the battery tray.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:45 PM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

Motor shutting off

To me, it sounds exactly like an ignition brain issue. Given that you had the computer modified for better performance, then the issue started, hence the problem. Good luck getting it reversed, and be safe and have a blast motoring around!!!!
Chetzook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:54 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Thank you we will double check.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:01 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Thank you, I think he is checking this but will make sure.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:55 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Fuel filter?

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter.
Just a thought could be that simple.
AVBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:39 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Second thing changed thanks
Old 11-01-2019, 10:06 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Update to engine shutting down while driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
Our 2005 Winnebago Sightseer Class A, has been shutting down while driving, we were able to restart by turning ignition switch off and on again and it keeps running, but a couple of times it did not. We have changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, crankshaft and camshaft sensors and have had diagnostics done at three places (one ford dealer) and we are not getting any problem codes. It is a Ford F53 6.8 liter V10. I should mention that we had some computer diagnostics done to make the motor more efficient and it started after that. Coinsidence?
UPDATE, finally decided to get a "new" computer after exhausting every avenue. When the computer was pulled out there was a chipset that had been put in previously to improve the mileage. So when we tried to reprogram the computer to get better mileage it reacted with the old chip and therefore our problem was computer related in the end. Our mechanic never checked the computer before programming. Not sure if he should have but in any case, We just drove 3000 miles with no problem. Thank you to all who assisted us with narrowing the problem down.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:50 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

On a curvey mountain road in Vermont (undivided around a blind curve and hillock) my rig went dead. Totally dark and dead, most harrowing 30 minutes of my life, lucky for me no one came along though we did deploy red emergency markers, hand held put on the roadway and flashlights pointing to the rig to make it visible. Found a way to roll it down the road a bit and off the path onto an approach to a field gate. Waited till dawn.

The culprit was faulty ground (underwhelming connection). In the light of day well off the roadway, I just sprayed and cleaned em up and yep it all worked fine, even the headlights were much much brighter. So we installed some very heavy duty grounding cables on engine to chassis, battery to chassis and yes every thing worked well for years and thousands of miles. While at it I also rerouted the starter wires so they would not get heat soaked and add too much resistance after a stop along the route. Oh and no help from the branding folks and the chassis folks kept pointing to the branding folks and that is the same old song that keeps repeating in this industry. NO unified single point of contact for warranty service guess the prices need to tripple for better design, implementation and build which they have yet nothing.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:32 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Engine shut down while driving

Thank you for your input, since it is an older model, we are always looking for items to be proactive with. As i mentioned in the update, ours ended up related to a chip put in the computer to get better gas mileage. Fixed now.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:49 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Glad you got it fixed. I was going to tell you to go back to the previous cpu map before you started having trouble.

Tags
engine