Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-21-2018, 04:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Engine noise level, Sightseer

We really enjoy everything about our 2007 Sightseer , 27’, EXCEPT the engine noise level. Has there ever been any successful attempt to reduce the level of noise that enters the front seat area? Has there been any additional insulation or noise deadening coating applied to the engine cover with any success? Driving a pusher must be nice and quiet!
At any RPM above 2500,the noise level prevents conversation.I realize that this question may produce more laughs than answers, but it is worth a try!
Saxpilot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

A pusher is very quiet and a Joy to drive. I won't ever go back to a gasser.

It is so quiet I can hear the dog FART while going down the road
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I'm assuming this is a gasser 7.4l engine and you have a doghouse. If so, we lined our doghouse with foil insulation. This significantly reduced the noise level and cabin heat. We also lined the top of the engine compartment on the outside under the dash for further heat insulation; that was a little more difficult to access from the front because we had to remove and replace the air barrier above the radiator and across the top of the engine compartment. I would be surprised if you couldn't find YouTube videos showing how to do this. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxpilot2 View Post
We really enjoy everything about our 2007 Sightseer , 27’, EXCEPT the engine noise level. Has there ever been any successful attempt to reduce the level of noise that enters the front seat area? Has there been any additional insulation or noise deadening coating applied to the engine cover with any success? Driving a pusher must be nice and quiet!
At any RPM above 2500,the noise level prevents conversation.I realize that this question may produce more laughs than answers, but it is worth a try!
Now you know one of the reasons DP's are a better choice. I can drive from north WA to south CA in 3 or 4 days and still have my wits about me. Do the same thing in a gasser and happy camping is the choice of the day. Getting there is almost like going to the dentist.
To answer your question, I have never heard of any truly successful ways of making your type of rig more quiet when driving. I hope, for your sake, I am wrong.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:40 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Don't have a gasser with the dog house. Based on my FiL's experience years ago, there's very little you can do to significantly reduce the noise or the heat from one of these beasts. (Yes, the passenger side floor would get so hot it would melt the rubber soles on sneakers and flip-flops. And, you needed David Clark sound cancelling head sets to hear anything....) Not much has changed since 1972.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

In my previous RV I put sound and heat deadening material on the inside of the doghouse and below floor/your feet.
It made a noticeable different in both sound and heat. Did it make it QUIET, no, but it did make it much better.
I haven't done this to my current rig yet because the noise isn't as bad. I'll probably get around to it eventually those just to help it along some.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I searched "doghouse insulation" and came up with this thread along with many more:

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...eat-18025.html

I know from my boating experience that there are a variety of insulating materials available, some more effective than others. Several posters make good comments about the 3/4" thick Dynamat Hoodliner product (not to be confused with thinner Dynamat products):

https://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-11905...amat+hoodliner

The other threads I've seen also refer to insulating under the dash and floor.

I need to do this myself so I'll be watching this thread with interest.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Bob, the thick Dynamat is what I used, but my feeble brain couldn't remember the name.

Tags
engine, noise, sightseer