Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2020, 10:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Engine Hood Issues

Can anyone tell me how the engine hood on my motorhome is supposed to be mounted?

One of the previous owners of my motorhome installed two bolts on the left hand hinge connecting it directly to the body fiberglass, on the right side the hood is loose only being held loosely in place by the upper rubber bumper. There is a 1" hole through the body fiberglass and the hood hinge is only just hanging from the hole by the upper rubber bumper.
Ksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:38 PM   #2
Site Team

The hinges are notorious for falling off. Sounds like the PO fixed one side and left the other. The through bolts aren't standard. The factory used an epoxy-like material to mount the fiberglass to the metal hinge and it doesn't seem that it held very well. I'd look at the one with the bolts and see about doing the same on the other side.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You will find a great deal of info on this, as this a well known problem. There are many ways to address the problem, including what your previous owner has done. What I did, and it has held up, is drill through the front cap in alignment with the holes in the hood bracket. I used stainless hardware (pictured) and nylon washers. On the backside I just used fender washers and locking nuts. I also cleaned the area where the bracket meets epoxy in the engine compartment, and applied a new layer of epoxy and then tightened using the hardware I added. Nothing has moved since.... You do not need massive hardware on this..... PM me if you wish to discuss in more detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	174002   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	174003  

IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:28 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksean View Post
Can anyone tell me how the engine hood on my motorhome is supposed to be mounted?
The factory glues the hinges onto the body.

The glue lets go.

Some reglue it an some give up and put a bolt through the engine cover.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Engine access panel hinge mounts

Mine came loose on the passenger side. I epoxied it back but it held only a short while. I epoxied it back on again and thru-bolted it. Then I thru-bolted the driver's also. No more problems.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I drilled through the end cap and the bracket on both sides top and bottom and bolted that sucker on tight after the glue failed twice, once with theirs and once with JB Weld. Seems pretty solid now.
mitchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:40 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Apparently, many units in the factory did not get sufficient surface prep before getting the metal parts epoxied to the engine and generator access panels.

My metal brackets and such for the generator panel started coming loose after two years. In the third year, I took them off, surface prepped properly, and re-epoxied them into place. All still good.

The rear engine access panel started coming loose in the 5th year. Again, I removed them, did the proper surface prep, and because of the large areas to glue I used the strongest construction adhesive I could find. Because it took three days to cure, I used some spots of JB Weld, to hold the whole thing together while the main adhesive cured.

So far, so good after another 5 years, but with these big boxes that shake rattle and roll when driving down the road, you have to be vigilant.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Had the dealer reglue my 2017 Vista hood latch in 2019(passenger),2020(passenger) and 2021(driver). On my trip in May 2021, I noticed that now the grille was coming unglued.
Now they're all bolted in with 1/4 x 1" stainless w/ hex nuts.
GerBerk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine