Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2022, 03:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Emergency Road Kit

I'm assembling items that I might need when we are on the road for the coach. So far I have the following items:

Extra radiator coolant
All exterior light bulbs
Oil filter and oil
Spark plugs
Plug wires
Serpentine belt
Full set of tools
Windshield wipers
Set of keys

What I'm looking for is anything for the motorhome. I have lots of generic stuff like duct tape, bailing wire, zip ties, electric tape, etc.

I know lots of you out there have years of experience. My list looks way too short but apparently I'm having another senior moment! Any help is always appreciated.
Old 08-08-2022, 04:23 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

Fuses … Large and small
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:47 PM   #3
Site Team

My RV is 5 years older than yours and I carry nothing on your list. Nor have I had any need to carry these items.

I would encourage you to stock up on relaxation tapes and green tea. (I"m kidding I hope you know)

A new RV can present lots of problems and issues - but thankfully the Ford F53 Chassis is pretty rock solid. Sure, the odd thing can go wrong. But you can rest assured that when it does it won't be any of the things on your list.

The generic things you said you already have plenty of - those are the only things I carry. Though I do agree with an assortment of Fuses.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Creative, thanks and certainly no offense taken. I'm a retired CFO, ex military and a Navy brat to boot. I'm still trying to turn off the type A. The green tea can't hurt?

Now, if only Amazon will let me return this stuff!

Thanks
Old 08-08-2022, 07:36 PM   #5
Site Team

I also carry extra fuses, but none of the other items. In ten years and 2 RVs, the F53 chassis has been really solid. However…now that you made a list, you are sure to need one of those items! :-) Enjoy your Adventurer and all the great adventures you will have in it!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 03:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I appreciate people with the knowledge to repair engines etc. I have a hard time repairing the tow dolly. Over the years of travel I have found the need for almost nothing on your list. Maybe its luck maybe not, my point is why take up the storage space with your list. I cannot see anyone changing a serpentine belt on the side of the road.

If you will feel better heres my not to knowledgeable add ons
Radiator Hoses
Interior light bulbs
Rubber grommets for the stove grates
Grease w/gun
Hose clamps

Good Luck!
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:47 AM   #7
Site Team

Here’s the list for me
  • Decent array of tools
  • A multimeter
  • A bottle of ATF for the leveler tank
  • Extra Atwood Thermal Fuse for the water heater
  • A dozen plastic cabinet latches
  • Extra USB and HDMI cables
  • A box of various sized screws
  • Assorted bungee cords in different sizes
  • Extension 50-amp power cable, extension sewer hose, 2-25 ft extra water hoses, extra water pressure reducers (for when I leave one at the last campsite)
I have used all of these multiple times.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202235f View Post
I'm assembling items that I might need when we are on the road for the coach. So far I have the following items:

Extra radiator coolant
All exterior light bulbs
Oil filter and oil
Spark plugs
Plug wires
Serpentine belt
Full set of tools
Windshield wipers
Set of keys

What I'm looking for is anything for the motorhome. I have lots of generic stuff like duct tape, bailing wire, zip ties, electric tape, etc.

I know lots of you out there have years of experience. My list looks way too short but apparently I'm having another senior moment! Any help is always appreciated.
I will start with where I agree and/or close enough

1. I have spare set of keys
2. I carry 1 quart of oil to top off on the road, I use same oil for Chassis as generator (no oil filters )
3. I have spare set of Wiper Blades

What you have missed

1. I have brand new Goodyear RV670 spare tire (no wheel) keep under my bed should Roadside Assistance ever need it
2. Voltmeter
3. Tool box
4. Array of extension / power cords
5. A number of battery flashlights
6. A Makita Super Quiet 58 decibels 1 gal air compressor, 50 ft air hose and electronic air gauges
7. Hitch Receiver kit, I had to unsuspecting tow my daughter car while in Houston
8. Bottled water, can drinks, and one case of beer
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 05:44 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Lots of good suggestions, in nearly 40 years of RVing I’ve used just about all that stuff out on the road. We’ve always bought new RVs & trucks, and still had issues. I’ve refined my stash to what can fit into a small tightly packed bin along with my tools and a few specialty tools. In addition to many of the previously mentioned in some form or another,,,,

· A 6’ length of Eterna Bond rolled up.
· A short piece of half inch pex, pex crimper & bands, and small assortment of brass elbows, T’s, and straights.
· Garden hose gaskets.
· Stainless hose clamps of various sizes.
· Tube of silicone.
· Spare set of roller end assemblies for the window blinds (story for another time).
· Teck screws & small assortment of fasteners
· Small spool of mechanics wire.
· Fluke multi-meter
· Pieces of various sizes electrical wire, butt splices, spade connectors, etc.
· Cordless drill, bits and drivers.

My tools (not shown in pic) fit into the empty space next to the bin. I never liked being stranded and hoping for someone else to “rescue us” so to speak. Not to mention it always happens at the most inconvenient time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4893.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	183762  
Old 08-14-2022, 05:48 PM   #10
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Roadside kit

I agree with the suggested inventory others have listed but also recommend a emergency roadside kit with DOTD triangle reflectors
and while a volt meter has been mentioned a couple times, I would recommend it be for AC and DC - though most volt meters are, however, I was helping a guy troubleshoot an electrical issue at a campground earlier this year and he was using a "wiggy" which was AC volt only. His problem was a DC resettable breaker, a problem he could not diagnose with the wiggy.
I would add to the list a decent LED headlight, a box of mechanics latex gloves (the throw-away kind), and a decent output air compressor for tire inflation top-off. My tool bag that stays in the RV has an assortment of zip ties, electrical tape and an assortment of Velcro straps. Rope and bungees are in there too.

Bobby
Old 08-14-2022, 06:10 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I never go anywhere without my dc battery charger and a long enough extension cord to get to some a/c power
Old 08-15-2022, 07:56 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Emergency kit

Carry some type of HD pad or old blankets. These will cushion you while lying on the ground, doing repairs. Especially in the Arizona heat or Colorado cold.
High visibility vest or shirt.
LED Road rotating flares or Warning triangles.
CB radio or satellite phone (been in areas with absolutely NO CELL RECEPTION)
HD jumper cables or jump box (be sure it is charged)
Usaswimdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:07 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I agree with fuses, extra keys and warning triangles but don't carry the things on your list aside from some basic tools (which should include a multimeter). Pretty much everything you listed are "Truck" related. Do you carry all these things in your car or other vehicles, even on a trip? Now, if your traveling is going to be especially remote, like the Alaskan Highway, things will be different. Otherwise, there's auto parts store just down the road, plus you should have some sort of roadside service policy.

Most of the repair parts you'll need are "House" related, not Truck related. When I repair something involving low cost parts such as hose clamps, latches, etc. I usually buy extra. If you do so, after a while you'll have most of what you'll need for routine House repairs.

I almost forgot, a can of WD-40 and some electrical tape to go with your zip ties. In terms of duct tape, Gorilla Tape is much better than the garden variety and comes in black, white, and clear. All Weather Gorilla Tape is even better, albeit a bit more expensive. I have a piece on the side window of my Ford E350 van that's been there for more than two years and it looks like new.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:49 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

In addition to the previous replies, I suggest :A First Aid Kit; LED Road Flares
Tahoe63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:50 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Add self-fusing silicon tape to your list

I would add a roll of self-fusing silicon tape. It doesn't take up much space and saved us on a recent trip until we could get home and replace hoses.
Brian_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:16 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

This was a good thread. I carry what everyone has listed. Even if I don't have the knowledge someone coming along just might and he could use my tools and spare part.

Emergency roadside items are really important, LED flashers, foldable orange cones, orange vests, true 5 pound fire extinguisher and first aid. Especially if your boondocking.
Sullivanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:43 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Re: Fire Extinguisher

I carry three, one near the cab, one in the bedroom and one in an outside locker.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote