Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Ellipse 42 QD mattress change

I would like to change my mattress to a Tempurpedic style foam. Has anyone done this? If so, any issues when folding the bed to retract slideout?
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I believe that no solid foam mattress is 'foldable' enough to let the bed rise. If it puts too much pressure on the mechanism, you run the chance of breaking it. We talked with Sleep Number store locally and they told me they have done motorhomes with folding beds with good results. They did offer an inflatable bed/memory foam combo that was extremely comfortable for me.
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for posting this topic. I recently went to foam shop with just that thought in mind. The foam I looked at seem like it would work just fine as for the folding part but I am not sure as to comfort part. Look forward to other replies.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have a foam bed in the house and it's great. I don't know about folding that mattress since it's about 9" thick (guessing). A thinner one might work.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We changed out our mattress about 3 months ago. Did it in our previous rig with a tempurpedic and was very satisfied. Also have an 11" tempurpedic in stick house on an articulating platform for past 10 years and no problem. When we did it in our 42QD, wanted to go tempurpedic again. But, in my efforts I could not find one that measured 72" x 80". They were 76 x 80". There are manufacturers who make the foam in our sizes. We took a leap of faith and ordered one from Plushbeds.com. I can report there is no problem with the mattress raising. We got their 8" latex foam because their rep said it was their firmest. My 125 lb. wife thinks it is great. At 215 lbs. I think it is too soft. Having said that, I can tell you that I am adjusting and now sleeping fine. This is not a recommendation for plushbeds, it is just my experience that there are beds that will work. In my opinion, all the beds of this type that I looked at would articulate just fine.
RBK394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

^ This sounds like a very viable option. I'd rather have foam than air after living with our home mattress for a few years.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

RBK394-Thanks for the update and posting. That is exactly where I was going with my previous post. There are companies right here where I live that will cut the foam to the your specs and thickness. Glad to hear it works fine. I will be heading in this direction. Oh, did you have to do anything to keep the foam mattress from slipping when it goes in the up or down position?
Old 06-02-2014, 08:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Fun Time, on our bed platform there are two pieces of angle at the foot end, the vertical piece being about 4" high. These two pieces hold the bed in place just fine. There is also no problem at the bend point. In fact, it bends more easily than the air. With the air, we were frequently pushing the mattress up toward the headboard and always squaring it on the platform. With the foam what we are experiencing is that the mattress stays put. A minor downside to it staying in place so we'll is that you can't easily push it from side to side to get the bed covers in between the bed and the side tables.

There is another but related experience I had with the air mattress. It was the experience that pushed me over the top in deciding to make the switch. Where the air supply hose from the compressor attaches to the bladders, there is a brass coupling that has been crimped to the hose end to make two sharp edges. One of these worked its way out of the mattress and when I stored the bed, it made a nice deep gouge almost the entire height of the headboard. I could not repair it and Winnebago wanted $919 for a new one. Wound up tearing the headboard apart and replacing the insert with 1/4" cherry plywood that I was able to finish with a near perfect stain match. Cost was a total of $101.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

RBK394-Thanks for the great info and reply. Just what I needed. Take care.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

RBK394, thanks for the tip. I pulled the trigger and ordered one. We're about to move, so I wanted to verify delivery time. They said one week for manufacture and one to deliver, which is fine. Our move is about one month from now.

My side of the air mattress has been leaking faster and faster. It won't even last a night now. I'm looking forward to tossing it!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

kjburns: If you ordered from Plushbeds, my order took 17 calendar days from order to arrival. Hope it works out well for you. Yep, losing air was a problem for me too. The supply hose had a habit of getting caught between the platform and the bed frame, crushing it and then springing a leak. Tried several times to lash up the hose in a way to minimize it from going to those places during raising and lowering, but never worked. All those attempts may have contributed to the problem stated in my last post about the headboard. At the time of removal I had a lot of rescue tape on my hose.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We're about a month away from moving, so 17 days is not a problem. The Tour is on our lot, about 230 miles from here. We're heading up there tomorrow and staying a few days before bringing the Tour back to the soon to be old house. The tentative move date is now early July.

This park/resort has owned RV lots on one side and houses on the other. We had the RV lot and just bought a house on the other side of the golf course. I think it'll be a neat arrangement. The new house is a lot smaller than our current place and we won't have a guest bedroom. The Tour will be our guest house when people come to visit

Fun time and I have talked about the problems with the mattress. I thought he had the issue fixed, but I'm guessing it didn't work out. I just lived with mine and never tried fixing it. The foam mattress eliminates the problem completely and we love the one we have at home.

edit: I did order from Plushbeds, going with the same mattress you bought.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
We're about a month away from moving, so 17 days is not a problem. The Tour is on our lot, about 230 miles from here. We're heading up there tomorrow and staying a few days before bringing the Tour back to the soon to be old house. The tentative move date is now early July.

This park/resort has owned RV lots on one side and houses on the other. We had the RV lot and just bought a house on the other side of the golf course. I think it'll be a neat arrangement. The new house is a lot smaller than our current place and we won't have a guest bedroom. The Tour will be our guest house when people come to visit

Fun time and I have talked about the problems with the mattress. I thought he had the issue fixed, but I'm guessing it didn't work out. I just lived with mine and never tried fixing it. The foam mattress eliminates the problem completely and we love the one we have at home.

edit: I did order from Plushbeds, going with the same mattress you bought.
Kj,
Since I started this thread😄, would let me know how you like the new mattress when you get it.
Thanks
Old 06-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I'll do that. I've already gotten tracking info on for Monday delivery. They got it out fast. I just ordered it a few days ago
Old 06-08-2014, 10:49 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

FYI - We're out in the Tour now and won't be home until Wed. My review will be a bit later.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

This is just a quick update. The mattress was ordered at night on 6/3 and delivered 6/9, which is impressive and probably much faster than normal. We have the Tour back at the house now and about 500 things to do preparing for our upcoming move. I'm thinking Friday or Saturday we'll have it in with initial impressions. The package weighs 75# for those curious about its weight.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:58 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Kevin: Thanks for the update and looking forward to how things go.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

We had a lot going on today. We're moving to a much smaller house and sold a lot of furniture. Today was a day of loading and delivering a couple of things. I did get a change to remove the old mattress. I haven't had a chance to install the new foam mattress.

They must have it squished quite a bit for shipping. The box is roughly six feet by maybe 18" square. It is every bit of 75 lbs.

I'm a little surprised at how heavy our old air mattress is. Removing it isn't a big deal. There were a couple of hose clamps to remove and a few ties to cut. I'm really looking forward to not pressing that "refill" button ever again

On the lighter side of our recent trip. The Tour was sitting on our lot and we drove my wife's car up to the site. When we were almost three hours into the drive, we stopped for a drink. My wife was locking the car and asked if I had the key. I had the key to the car, but suddenly it hit me...I didn't bring the keys to the Tour!

We went to Wally World and bought an air mattress, and spent a couple of nights in the new house. I finally broke down and drove back to the old house and grabbed the Tour keys along with more packed boxes.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

The mattress is in place and ready to go. It's quite a job for one, but my wife is worn out from yesterday and still sleeping. I managed to get it in the Tour and install it.

When you unroll the mattress, the underside will be up so it is necessary to flip it. Within a minute or two, the foam relaxes and the mattress expands to its normal depth. It is plenty flexible to work with the way our beds fold for travel. As mentioned, the mattress tends toward the soft side. I'm 185 lbs and found it a little soft, but not too much. It's a lot firmer than the deflated air mattress!!!

I would recommend this as a replacement for the air mattress. I find it more comfortable and of course, it's very low maintenance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140613_082432.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	65265   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140613_075406.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	65266  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140613_074831.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	65267  
Old 06-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
The mattress is in place and ready to go. It's quite a job for one, but my wife is worn out from yesterday and still sleeping. I managed to get it in the Tour and install it.

When you unroll the mattress, the underside will be up so it is necessary to flip it. Within a minute or two, the foam relaxes and the mattress expands to its normal depth. It is plenty flexible to work with the way our beds fold for travel. As mentioned, the mattress tends toward the soft side. I'm 185 lbs and found it a little soft, but not too much. It's a lot firmer than the deflated air mattress!!!

I would recommend this as a replacement for the air mattress. I find it more comfortable and of course, it's very low maintenance.
Thanks for the review, I am going to order one.
Jerry