Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Electrical problem in 2013 Sunstar

We were camping 2 weeks ago and my microwave convection started acting up. Didn't think too much of it as it is a piece of crap, but then we tried to turn the TV on for the Superbowl and couldn't get it to come on. Then that night the 3 nightlights we had plugged in were all dimming and going brighter all night. So...we obviously have some kind of problem with the plugs and things that are plugged in. The ceiling lights are all fine.

I called LaMesa and the guy told me to start up the generator and see if the outlets work that way. (Coach is in a storage lot) But they don't work AT ALL now.

My husband knows absolutely nothing about electrical things and neither do I. Is there anything else we can try? I REALLY don't want to take it to La Mesa for service.

I should mention that I tried to push those 2 buttons on that one outlet under the fridge and I couldn't get either one to push in! Help?
Starfire5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

It sounds like you may have a loose wire in the circuit breaker panel or the shore power transfer switch.

The first thing to do is disconnect the RV from all power sources.

Then open the door to the circuit breaker panel and remove the cover over the breakers. Inspect all wires thoroughly using a flashlight. If any wire has been loose for some period the insulation will generally become discolored or burned from the excess heat generated by the high resistance of a loose connection.

One at a time check the wires and the screws on the neutral strip (white wires). Make sure each wire is in one of the holes and the screw is holding it firmly in place. In some cases there may be more than one wire in a hole so tighten the screw firmly then try to wiggle each wire with a needle nose pliers. If any of them move they should all be removed from the hole and firmly twisted together. Then reinsert the bundle and retighten the screw firmly.

Once you're sure all the wires on the neutral strip are tight move to each individual breaker and check each black wire. Make sure all the wires are firmly held in place by the screw. Again there may be more than one wire per breaker. If this is the case be sure all wires are firmly held in place by the screw.

The final step in this panel is to repeat the same process with the ground strip. It's usually on the opposite side of the panel from the neutral strip. All the wires in the ground strip will be bare copper. Make sure they're all in a hole and secured firmly in place by a screw.

When you're sure all the wires in the panel are secure replace the cover.

I would then find the transfer switch and repeat the inspection and tightening process in this panel. to find the transfer switch just follow the shore power cord to where it's permanently attached to the box. Again before opening the box be sure the shore power cord is disconnected and the generator is not running.

Remove the cover from the transfer switch box and follow the same procedure used to tighten all the wires in the circuit breaker box.

Once you are sure all the wires in this panel are secure reinstall the transfer switch cover.

Once you're sure all wires are tight and all covers are properly reinstalled reconnect the shore power cord to a proper outlet and power up the motorhome.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

FWIW The lights normally would be running on 12 VDC off your battery. They would not normally be bothered by short term 120 VAC problems. Hikerdogs gave you a good place to start. As you said you know about the systems you really should consider finding someone who does have a clue to go through the system looking for loose connections.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:31 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Excellent advice by Hikerdogs.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Hikerdogs! I am going to print out your post and follow your instructions to the letter. I'm a smart girl, I should be able to do this!
Starfire5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

You had the inverter off, but you also have a converter, which charges the batteries. I listed this above. Depending on what you have, how discharged your batteries are, and which charge mode your converter is in, it could be upto 15-20 Amps of 120vac it's consuming.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:47 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Here is another question for you. Do you have both switches by the door on? The ones for the Battery disconnect. They should be on while on shore power in order to charge the batteries.
Also if you have an invertor on the One Place Panel make sure it is OFF. You don't need to be running it unless you are Dry camping and want to watch TV.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
You had the inverter off, but you also have a converter, which charges the batteries. I listed this above. Depending on what you have, how discharged your batteries are, and which charge mode your converter is in, it could be upto 15-20 Amps of 120vac it's consuming.
That would be a huge converter. Remember you have roughly a 10:1 conversion factor between 120 VAC and 12 VDC so the charge current would be 10x line current. There are not too many units with 150 -200 Amp converters.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
That would be a huge converter. Remember you have roughly a 10:1 conversion factor between 120 VAC and 12 VDC so the charge current would be 10x line current. There are not too many units with 150 -200 Amp converters.
My magnum model, which is the smallest of the ms series, draws 15 amps to run the converter at its full rated output. Remember, you are charging at 13.8+ volts, 10:1 effectively, but also inefficiency heat loss in the conversion. I know the larger magnum models put out larger charge currents than mine, and that's most of the Tiffin diesel product lines.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

This thread is almost 6 months old. Why bother with ideas and suggestions ?
Old 08-11-2016, 11:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
My magnum model, which is the smallest of the ms series, draws 15 amps to run the converter at its full rated output. Remember, you are charging at 13.8+ volts, 10:1 effectively, but also inefficiency heat loss in the conversion. I know the larger magnum models put out larger charge currents than mine, and that's most of the Tiffin diesel product lines.
Your DP probably has enough battery to need it. A Sunstar is a gasser with maybe two batteries and probably no more than a 60 Amp converter. If he has an inverter it's probably a small one for the TV or refrigerator.

Not trying to be a PITA as I have neglected to look at what the OP has thus making some less than stellar observations. ;-)

Tags
electrical