Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

electrical problem 04 Adventurer

While in shore power. I am hooked up to a 30 amp outlet, although my coach is a 50 amp service. My air conditioning works and the heat pump works. My problem is the refrigerator and hot water heater operate only as long as my house batteries are fully charged. As they lose charge they shut down. I understand that there is a converter to operate the lights and a battery charger. It must not be working because after a few hours I lose power to the refrigerator and hot water heater. Wear is the converter located and how can I check it.
I can charge the house batteries by running the engine but this does not seem right. I have disconnected everything that is a draw on the batteries but the still drain. The inverter is off.
Do you have to turn the converter on? If so whare.

Bob
Old 05-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Bob,
Is sounds like you have both heat pumps running (and other things). The Intellitec system will shut off your hot water heater (and, in some cases even your refrigerator if you are using more than 30 Amps. Turn on the propane switch for your hot water tank and change your refrigerator setting from electric to propane. This may solve your problem.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboy1942 View Post
While in shore power. I am hooked up to a 30 amp outlet, although my coach is a 50 amp service. My air conditioning works and the heat pump works. My problem is the refrigerator and hot water heater operate only as long as my house batteries are fully charged. As they lose charge they shut down. I understand that there is a converter to operate the lights and a battery charger. It must not be working because after a few hours I lose power to the refrigerator and hot water heater. Wear is the converter located and how can I check it.
I can charge the house batteries by running the engine but this does not seem right. I have disconnected everything that is a draw on the batteries but the still drain. The inverter is off.
Do you have to turn the converter on? If so whare.

Bob
Bob,
First off, it might help if you posted the Specs on your rig, Gas, diesel, etc? The primary reason is, in history, about 99% of the rigs that have a "50 Amp" service built into them are DIESEL. The 30 amp systems are gas. But, this most likely can change as I don't keep up with all of them on a daily basis.

And, if it's a diesel, then again, for histories sake, about 99% of them are equipped with an "inverter", not a "converter". Again, that's subject to change. And, even more, many that have "Inverters" also are equipped with "Inverter/Chargers". On those rigs, such as ours, the inverter/charger keeps the batteries charged while being plugged into shore power as well as supplying the rig and all the 110VAC outlets with necessary power to run all the appliances.

Ok, if you have what I'd call a heavy duty Gas rig, then again, I'd need more to help assess your issues. Maybe your rig is a heavy duty (gas) one and DID come with a converter, I'm not aware of any like that but, I learn things every day so, I suppose it could happen. Now, in reading your post, and, you're on a 30 post on the campground, your A/C is running fine correct? But, you say your fridge and hot water heater won't operate correctly if the batteries are charged, correct? Hmmmmm.

First, if on shore power, your fridge should be on A/C, not any other source of power unless you manually put it on LP. And that being the case, it should operate just fine regardless of the battery condition. And, again since your type and brand of coach is not represented here, I can't quite figure your water heater out. It does take 12VDC power to operate the gas solenoid but, power less than a fully charged set of batteries is all that's needed for that.

Do you have a dual power water heater? That is, is there a switch some place that you can give 110VAC power to run/heat the water heater? On ours, we have basically three ways to heat the water in the water heater. One is called "Motor aid" in which the coolant in the engine is circulated around a heat exchanger in the water heater so that when you arrive at a campground/RV park, your water heater is already heated. The second way is a 110VAC element in the water heater for use when on shore power. And, the third, the common way is, of course to heat it with propane.

So, a tad bit more of info would surely help some of us analyze your situation and guide you to a possible remedy. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hi Scott,
The refrigerator will not work on either propane or electric if his batteries are bad. The refrigerator controller is run by 12 volts coming from the house batteries.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Itasca Meridian 36G

The only caveat to the last post. I believe that both the fridge and the water heater require a good 12 V supply to run the eye brow on the fridge and the computer boards on both.

If you check voltage at the batteries when plugged in, you should see about 13 V. Unplug and it will drop to the 12 range as the charger will be off.

If below 12 v, you may have a bad battery.

Good luck.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengraham View Post
Hi Scott,
The refrigerator will not work on either propane or electric if his batteries are bad. The refrigerator controller is run by 12 volts coming from the house batteries.
My '96 Safari has an inverter, a 3 stage charger and a converter all in one unit.
Check your inverter manual, if you have one.
When you have shore power every thing that needs 12VDC should work and the batteries should not go down.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
My '96 Safari has an inverter, a 3 stage charger and a converter all in one unit.
Check your inverter manual, if you have one.
When you have shore power every thing that needs 12VDC should work and the batteries should not go down.
Well Gents,
As stated, I'm always learning here. I kind of agree with the above statement. Regardless of whether the OP has an "Inverter" or, Inverter/charger or converter, any one of them should be putting out 12V to the needed 12V appliances/PC boards to run things correct? And if so, then the water heater and the fridge should work correctly, correct? Now, if the battery(ies) have a short or a bad cell etc. then maybe what ever is trying to charge them is overworking trying to get them to a full charge and all the while the appliances are suffering. Just guessing here. It will be interesting to see what the problem is here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Dependent on the inverter, and in my case if it is not in sch or on as opposed to off it will not charge the batteries.
My inverter lives in on position.
If I were dry camping I could go to search but as the current draw to turn it in is small I would have to disconnect everything to make it not auto to position on.
Just a thought.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

My motor home is a gas 8.1 liter . I am running my hot water on lip gas . The refrigerator is on auto I think it is running on electric. I have my inverter turned off. My manual states that the batteries will not charge when the inverter is on. My batteries are brand new. My manual states I Have a converter that is supposed to run my lights and appliances while on shore power. Do converters go bad? Do converters need to be turned on?
This is all new to me and is very frustrating .

Bob
Old 05-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboy1942 View Post
My motor home is a gas 8.1 liter . I am running my hot water on lip gas . The refrigerator is on auto I think it is running on electric. I have my inverter turned off. My manual states that the batteries will not charge when the inverter is on. My batteries are brand new. My manual states I Have a converter that is supposed to run my lights and appliances while on shore power. Do converters go bad? Do converters need to be turned on?
This is all new to me and is very frustrating .

Bob
I'm no expert but I would think that the inverter and converter are one in the same piece of equipment.
The logic is the incoming power supply's the Ac equipment like air conditioners and the inverter.
The inverter inverts to Dc to supply the 12 v stuff,
Charges the batteries etc also allows a straight thru Ac for microwave etc
So when you are off shore power the inverter inverts to Ac to supply the Ac stuff like microwave and tv and the dc stuff like lights.
Personally id leave the inverter on so it can do its thing.
The inverter acts as a battery charger but can't do that if its turned off
I think you are misreading your manual
Old 05-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Converters are usually located near the floor behind a vent but in others they are hidden behind cabinets or drawers. Double check all your 12 volt fuses/breakers. Some converters have a reset button on them.
Our MH has both the inverter and a converter. I usually leave the inverter off unless we are not hooked up to shore power and I want to watch TV. Its only a 1000 watt so it does not run much. As stated above, some MHs have the Intellitec system, which ours does and it will shutdown appliances to maintain a 30 amp load....which will usually kick your refrigerator off but if its on auto it should switch to gas by itself. The hot water heater will have to be manually switched to gas. If you are draining your batteries with nothing hooked up I would suspect a shorted wire or a bad converter.
Have you tried disconnecting from shore power and running the gen set?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Wiring Diagrams: Table of Contents
Your 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 37B only has a 300W inverter for entertainment support only. It is not an inverter /charger.

Converter is located on floor under range. Power is from the 15 amp Refridg/Conv CB in the AC power center. As long as your 30 to 50 amp adaptor is wired correctly, the converter should stay ON even if the Water Heater and Fridge power is shed by the EMS. Sourced from the Red HOT 2 circuit on the Shore power cable. I believe the power for the 110VAC sockets under the bed are also powered from HOT 2.

If there is a 20/30 switch on the EMS control panel, make sure it is set to 30.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thank you. I tested the batteries with a meter tonight. They are down to 11 volts. They are not being charged by the converter. I put a charger on them and will check them in the morning. I have never used the inverter. I will look for the converter charger tomorrow. Looks like it may be in need of replacement. I bought this motor home last December. It went right into winter storage, did not get a chance to test it out. Looks like the salesman pulled a fast one on me..

Bob
Old 05-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Based on this the last page (pdf page 9) of this drawing (http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_147724.pdf), the coach battery switch located at the entrance step has to be ON for the converter to charge the battery. Is it ON? The converter output (pdf page 3) is feed to the Battery Mode Solenoid via the isolated stud shown on that drawing.
It is not uncommon for Battery Mode Solenoids to become defective.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #15
Itasca Meridian 36G

When you find you converter. Likely under the kitchen cabinets, check voltage at out put, should be 13 plus. Also check 120 v input at the plug in. Some converters have fuses on the 12v side. Converters are known for failing. If it is bad, consider replacing with one that has a smart charger feature. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

electrical problem

Thanks to all who responded o my problem. My motor home has a inverter and a converter, they are not the same. My inverter is located in the cabinet above the passenger seat. The converter is located under the cabinet drawers.
I took a meter and tested the out put of my old converter, it measured O output. I installed a new converter, maintainer and charger. Problem solved.

Thank you all,

Bob
Old 05-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Poorboy1942...My 2003, 38G has the same setup as your 04'. Wish I had seem your post sooner as I had the same problem with the same fix. Could have saved you some headaches. That being said, one word of advise on the converter and house batteries: Whenever you are hooked to shore power for more than a couple of days turn the battery switch at your entry way to the off position and then back on the day before you are expecting to leave. This will extend the life of the batteries. Your converter is always on and provides all the 12v your coach needs.

Tags
electrical