Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-01-2022, 08:18 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

I've done the baseplate install on two of my toads so far. I have a friend who's always done his own baseplates. I'm not sure I'll do the next one.

I've used Blue Ox both times and their instructions are very good and the instructions are available online before you buy, so you can see what you're in for with specific vehicles. There's usually a video available too.

I also did the auxiliary brake system myself on our current toad. I'm sure I won't do that again. I got it done, but it was a big job.

I promised myself in the middle of doing all of it last time that I'd pay my money and have it done professionally next time.

My buddy that has always done it himself paid someone else on his latest toad. We're getting to an age where the savings don't outweigh the irritation. If you're in a place where the cost outweighs the effort, it's doable. Go slow. Read up and watch the videos. You can do it.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:20 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

I echo what others say. You can’t get any easier(or cheaper) than a Jeep Wrangler. We already had the Jeep when we bought our Class A so it was a no brainer for us, but I would still by another Wrangler to tow. We had a 2004 Wrangler TJ so i opted for the tow points from Rock Jock instead of the base plate. I didn’t want the base plate hanging down and visible below the bumper. They were also cheaper and super easy to install. The other option I really liked was the aftermarket bumpers which also seem pretty simple to install but more costly. I went with the ready brute tow bar with the integrated ready brake system. It seems like a simple, straightforward braking system that won’t break the bank. So far so good though I have had some binding with the ready brute tow bar, but maybe I’m not doing some thing right. You can buy the ready brake separately to use with any tow bar. If you really want to go cheap and easy, find an older Wrangler (88-96). Their bumpers are thick enough to attach a tow bar directly to the bumper with a blue ox connector. Make sure if you get a Jeep that it is 4x4 and flat towable. The rare 2 wheel drive Wrangler is not flat towable and I’ve seen a few people make that mistake.

2004 Winnebago Journey 32T
JR314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, install