Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2020, 09:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dump hose issue - 2020 Sunstar 27P

Been RVing for 30 years and have always had an external waste connection for dump hose. This rig has a wet bay and you have to run the hose up/down through a hole in the floor of the wet bay. The Rhinoflex hose female end does not fit through hole from the bottom, so I have to start with the male end from the top and thread it thru.

When I go to disconnect the hose, I shut off the valve, but now have a hose full of water. I can get some of it out by lifting the hose, but most of the hose still has water. It was not a pretty sight and some ugly words were said when the rest of the water spilled out.

Two solutions come to mind. Get a hose with smaller fittings (recommendations?) or cap the end of the hoses.

Anybody got thoughts on this messy situation? What am I doing wrong.
NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I had somewhat the same problem but I don't know the brands involved. Same wet bay setup and I like that it is enclosed but the ears on my hose were too big so I had to trim them down to let me put that end up through the hole. Trimming the ears might be a solution or it might require shopping for a hose which has a smaller form.
I feel it really is a bit of design mismatch, either the hole is too small or or the end is too big!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:56 AM   #3
Site Team

NYer, you might try buying a very short 3" sewer hose (like 2ft long) that does fit through the hole to attach to the end of your main sewer hose.

I had one of these and it worked great. You can even leave it attached to the dump bayonet if you wish and just put it through the hole and then hook up your main hose to it. Whatever suits you, both would work.

Here's a link to one on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-D04-.../dp/B077JBML58
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 10.56.28 AM.png
Views:	67
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	174705  
Old 08-20-2020, 02:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have this 90 degree connector from Camco and it helps. I didn't think it was going to fit but it lined up perfectly.

90 degree - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Rhi...ction/23636867

You can read where some folks have had trouble and it happened to me once but felt that was NOT a normal situation when it happened to me.

I also have what Creativepart mentioned (the Rhino version) and it works probably the best. You do have to finagle them around the opening but I can get it in there. I wanted the 90 degree because it was clear - I flush my tank quite a bit because I dump at home and found that the cleaner I get it the better for next trip .
Old 08-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I like the idea of the short hose as well. Our 202 Vista 29V has the same issue with getting the sewer hose through the hole in the bottom of the wet bay.
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I aslo think you'll get better replies with a better topic.

I just happened to look because I have a Vista as well which I could respond because of the wet bay design...
Old 08-20-2020, 05:06 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUSoCal View Post
I aslo think you'll get better replies with a better topic.
I changed the title. Hope this helps.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I changed the title. Hope this helps.
Thanks. I tried after I posted and couldn’t.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:52 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Thanks. I tried after I posted and couldn’t.
During the Editing time frame window - a few hours - you can change the Title by clicking Edit > Go Advanced

But after the Editing time frame window expires you can't change anything. But a mod or admin can.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
NYer, you might try buying a very short 3" sewer hose (like 2ft long) that does fit through the hole to attach to the end of your main sewer hose.

I had one of these and it worked great. You can even leave it attached to the dump bayonet if you wish and just put it through the hole and then hook up your main hose to it. Whatever suits you, both would work.

Here's a link to one on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-D04-.../dp/B077JBML58
I like this idea. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:31 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I took a recip saw and trimmed the heavy white plastic at the bottom of the cabinet. You don't have to trim anything off the the black swivel cover. It worked great and the Rhino now fits like it should. It took very little trimming, and even less if you grind off the tabs on the Rhino fitting.

I was nervous at first but very happy with the result.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:48 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Yes all it takes is a few minutes to carefully trim the plastic rim of the opening..and it works perfectly..wear eye protection..
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:31 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Been RVing for 30 years and have always had an external waste connection for dump hose. This rig has a wet bay and you have to run the hose up/down through a hole in the floor of the wet bay. The Rhinoflex hose female end does not fit through hole from the bottom, so I have to start with the male end from the top and thread it thru.

When I go to disconnect the hose, I shut off the valve, but now have a hose full of water. I can get some of it out by lifting the hose, but most of the hose still has water. It was not a pretty sight and some ugly words were said when the rest of the water spilled out.

Two solutions come to mind. Get a hose with smaller fittings (recommendations?) or cap the end of the hoses.

Cut the hole bigger using a dremel. Easy and works great
Bradly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:51 PM   #14
RonBonoSr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I had somewhat the same problem but I don't know the brands involved. Same wet bay setup and I like that it is enclosed but the ears on my hose were too big so I had to trim them down to let me put that end up through the hole. Trimming the ears might be a solution or it might require shopping for a hose which has a smaller form.
I feel it really is a bit of design mismatch, either the hole is too small or or the end is too big!
I have a 2016 Winnebago Vista LX , model 27 N. It has the same issue as you mentioned. I found that Blue Line sewer hose will fit thru the opening. My first thought was that Winnebago was aware of this issue and wanted you to buy a Blue Line sewer hose, because it owned the Blue Line Company. I don't think that is true but why hasn't Winnebago corrected this issue?
RonBonoSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:34 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Try this

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is the main part,

you still need to get a length of 3/4" hose: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07TX5BV...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

and a few fittings. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 AND https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...8&psc=1:dance:

Once you get this little thing onto your "bayonet-style" fitting, you will only need room for the skinny hose. It uses water pressure instead of electricity to macerate the waste and pump it down the hose into the sewer inlet at your site. It's even self-cleaning! No more stinky slinky!

Quote:

golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:35 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBonoSr View Post
I have a 2016 Winnebago Vista LX , model 27 N. It has the same issue as you mentioned. I found that Blue Line sewer hose will fit thru the opening. My first thought was that Winnebago was aware of this issue and wanted you to buy a Blue Line sewer hose, because it owned the Blue Line Company. I don't think that is true but why hasn't Winnebago corrected this issue?
There may be lots of different reasons why companies don't change things but another way to look at this one is who and how many want larger holes and who might want smaller. Ants and "varmints" of various types may get involved as there are the folks who really don't want any larger holes if they have been invaded at times. Once invaded by ants, folks do tend to get really touchy about something crawling up the hoses and my brother is one of those, so he goes to a fair amount of trouble to totally seal around his hoses and would not like anything larger.
Just lots of different ideas on something as simple as a hole for hoses!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:00 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Ditto! I made a short hose that I leave connected, slip it through the port an connect the real sewer hose. AND VERY IMPORTANT, I cap ALL hoses on both ends before they do into storage. No fuss, no muss.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:17 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

This is only really an issue if you leave the hose connected all the time which you really do not need to do. I sometimes leave the sewer hose lying on the ground with a plug in it and only connect it every few days or so when I am dumping the tanks. My old 2001 Adventurer has the small hose opening and even at that if I angle the heavy duty Rhino hose fitting I can thread it in an out of the opening. One could trim the tabs on the Rhino or just get a new female hose end that will fit through the opening more easily and the Rhino Hose will screw into. Modifying the wet bay by cutting it would be the last resort since that could diminish the value of the coach on the resale market since many who don't want gaps would not want to purchase it or would need to fix it to eliminate the gaps.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

We're talking about shaving 1/4 inch off the hole - not at all noticeable and certainly not any effect on resale. Nor can any extra ants or varmints get in...
Old 08-28-2020, 09:43 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Don’t you have a screw in plug for the hole. I had the same problem in my ‘19 Forza and resolved it by cutting the tabs down on the hose end that You stick up thru the floor.
dhuse is offline   Reply With Quote