Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Door latch on Vista 26HE

We find the door latch on our Vista 26HE is sometimes very hard to open. It is on the levelers right now and is still not that easy to open. My wife finds it very annoying. The two striker bolts are tight, so that is not a problem. I was considering using a file to solve the problem. The sticker on the door latch reads to see a professional for a fix. Well, it takes two hours to get to a dealer from my home. I want to fix it myself. Any ideas??. Someone must have had the same problem.
rottenkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Rottenkid

Ditto problem here. When spanking new it wasn't an issue but the difficulty has increased substantially lately. Sometimes it is so difficult my DW thinks the door is locked. I tried some white grease on the door, not much as I didn't want to accidentally start getting this on our clothes. But just enough. It seemed to help but it didn't solve the problem.

I have found thou, if you push a little in the door as you pull the door latch that it opens much easier. Still doesn't solve the problem.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Also have the same issue I did have to adjust one of the strickers made it a little better I also found that if you push in on the door it opens easy
Rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem. With no easy adjustments to be found, I removed the top screw and filed the top screw hole slightly larger. I filed the side of the screw hole towards the inside of the coach (about 1/16 ") so that when the plate was re-secured, the enlarged hole allowed the plate to pivot slightly away from the inside of the coach towards the outside. This made the two large pins on the door mount enter the slots somewhat easier. My large pins had been hitting the bottom of the two slots in the frame striker plate. You will have to determine which direction your pins are off to file in the correct direction.

So far the rig has not moved since the adjustment was made, first trip is this coming weekend, but the door opens and closes easier in the driveway.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:45 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Me too... Door is difficult to open and as stated about, my wife also thinks the door is locked sometimes because it is difficult to open.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #6
Site Team

Same problem here...
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

My hillbilly fix (as my wife is known to call my repair jobs) was to loosen the two latch pins. Allowing that small amount of movement in the pins resulted in much easier latch operation. One rotation off tight and the problem disappeared. Simple fix until I reset/align the hinges and latch mechanism on our 26he this winter. Also, the pins will continue to loosen so need to be reset on occasion.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the comments. I put some brake silicone grease on the inside mechanism. I also applied silicone grease to the latch, just enough to help the latch slide. So far OK. You can open the door easily now. I will find out better this week on the road.
rottenkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I just filed the door plate and was able to get it to latch better.
RoboticRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door