Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2005, 09:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2005 SightSeer Model 29R manufactured right at the end of 2004. There are two terminated wires resting on the floor under the left side of the dash - these are the power for a CB radio.

However, I've been unable to determine if any coax exists to connect an antenna between the roof and the dash. Does anyone know?

On the roof of the SightSeer, front center, is a decal that identifies a location for Digital TV cable - but nothing for a CB Radio.

If there is no factory-installed antenna cable, how have people neatly routed an antenna wire from the dash area to the roof?
Old 10-10-2005, 09:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2005 SightSeer Model 29R manufactured right at the end of 2004. There are two terminated wires resting on the floor under the left side of the dash - these are the power for a CB radio.

However, I've been unable to determine if any coax exists to connect an antenna between the roof and the dash. Does anyone know?

On the roof of the SightSeer, front center, is a decal that identifies a location for Digital TV cable - but nothing for a CB Radio.

If there is no factory-installed antenna cable, how have people neatly routed an antenna wire from the dash area to the roof?
Old 10-11-2005, 04:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Al,

I think you can run the co-ax up the drivers side window pillar to the area above the front left cabinet, which will give you access to the roof. You might want to check with a local CB Shop and do it right, so you'll be happy with your reception and out going performance. A good "ground plan" is very important.

Once again, a good CB Shop can help you the most.

Radarr
Old 10-11-2005, 04:53 AM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Radarr:
Once again, a good CB Shop can help you the most. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Radarr, I have been across the country twice so far this year and believe me a CB shop is not that easy to find. I have wanted to have my antenna tuned but so far I have yet to have it done.

If I did find one they were either closed or I didn't have the time to stop. Back in the day, there were lots of CB shops.

I'm still looking!

You're right about running a wire up the L/S A pillar, I put in an RG-6 in there for my dish receiver. It's fairly populated in that space as it is but 1 more wire should fit.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 02:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Do you know and Amateur Radio Operators (Hams)? Many of them will have the equipment needed to tune your antenna.

1999 Chieftain 35U
RonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 02:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
Alfred,

If you are near a major city, check for a ham radio outlet. There are many of them across the country. If they don't install and tune antennas themselves, they will know who does. I looked at your public profile, but did not see any home location. If you let me know where you are, I may be able to suggest some ideas.

Also, you could stop at a local truck stop. They may know where you can go locally to get help with the antenna.

Good Luck

W8RLM - Bob
Old 10-14-2005, 07:49 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I installed my CB in my 2004 Sightseer using the Driver side A column...remove the plastic trim with the 3 screws and there is plenty of room for extra wires and cables.

I then installed the "thru" the glass antenna (on sale at Camping World) at the very top of the top window. I made no adjustments to the antenna or the window coupler. Reception and range seem fine.

For those who may attend the 2006 Rally I will be glad to check your antenna...I am a amateur radio operator (WB2LOU) and I carry a station plus the test equip all of the time.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 04:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, All!

I understand that the Sightseer, as delivered, has the 12v power wired for the CB but no antenna from the dash area to the roof area is supplied by the factory. However, by pulling the paneling on the side driver's side pillar, space for an owner-installed cable exists.

Thanks all!