Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dish Tailgater and 2003 Journey

Hi - I was wanting to see how other folks connected a carry-out RV dish such as the Dish Tailgater and then connected it to the coach like mine. I was thinking of connecting it to the cable TV input jack then having a switch on the other end in the overhead cabinet to send it to the Dish receiver instead of the multi switch box. I don't think the Journey has a aux satellite input on it does it?? It's still new to us and I'm still learning about the coach. Another option I was thinking would be to get a ladder mount for the dish and then run a cable across the roof to where the soon to be gone old King Dome sits. Of course this would not be a fixed mounting for the dish but something I would have to do when setting up camp because there is just not enough things to do after you park.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I want to know too!

Wish members would jump in on this one. I would find the info helpful too.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My 05 Journey has phone, satellite and cable hookups in the electrical bay.

From reading earlier threads on this subject I believe you can not use the cable hookup for a remote sat dish because of power injection in one of the hookups, but I do not recall which.

Hopefully someone can give you a better answer.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Ditto on the electgric bay on my 2001 GB Cruisemaster, but the satellite cable looks like an HDMI connector. I know it was added later because of 2 previous satillite installs (based on roof patches).
Old 08-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

On my old coach (03 Journey DL) I ran a cable from the left forward bin into the coach next to the steering column. From there, it went up the DS a-pillar into the left OH cabinet where my sat receiver was located
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone for the good ideas! I'm glad I wasn't to far in left field with getting a tailgator and not replacing the Kingdome.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Our original Wingard automatic unit died last Aug and I was b------- about getting another one and DW drug her feet. Finally at Xmas she gave me some $$ toward it and I drug MY feet as I began using my Wingard automatic portable dome I had purchased previously for sites that were tree blocked. I, too, ran a cable down from the receiver location(above the drivers seat) and ran it to that bay before the left front wheel. I also hooked up a 12V recp. there next to the cable end. Now, when we go somewhere I don't have to worry about not being parked under a tree, as the dome has a 50' cable/12V line and I can extend the cable if I need to. It is totally automatic, so I just plug it in and it finds the sat. By the time I've fixed my cocktail, it is done. I do worry about someone stealing the dome off the ground, so I bought a 15' locking cable at H.D. and I can either lock it to the underside of the coach or a tree if it is has to be farther out. I like it so well, I'm keeping the setup.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The Tailgater needs an unbroken coaxial cable from the receiver to the dish/cube.

You could re-purpose the Campground Cable TV input coax to be a SAT input, but the switch might cause some signal and/or power loss...different switches will have different gain/loss properties...you would have to test that with your gear.

If the switch was a problem, then you could just manually move the coax from the video switching box to the SAT receiver when needed and replace it if/when needed.

My coach has an option called "SAT Preparation" that added a coax runs where needed. If you don't have something like that, you will be making the new runs.

Best of luck - I get my Tailgater tomorrow (I hope) and am looking forward to seeing how it works.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif[/SIGPIC]
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have tailgater connected via the cable TV jack in the elecric bay. The 211k RF in and RF out jacks are passed through when the receiver is turned off.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Dish Tailgater

My 2006 Vectra has external Dish connection in power bay.
I have a roof mount dome that went bad. Will not replace Tailgater is all I need
billbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Lots of good input, thanks guys!! Has anyone looked at the ladder mount for the VCUBE which I guess is the same as the Tailgator. It lets you put the unit on the top of the ladder which I would feel better about then having it sit on the ground for an extended legth of time which will be us when workamping. Although it defeats being able to move around from under the trees.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelm130
Lots of good input, thanks guys!! Has anyone looked at the ladder mount for the VCUBE which I guess is the same as the Tailgator. It lets you put the unit on the top of the ladder which I would feel better about then having it sit on the ground for an extended legth of time which will be us when workamping. Although it defeats being able to move around from under the trees.
Just tether it with a cable. That's what I do with my tailgater and never have had a problem. You are right, a ladder mount kinda defeats the purpose when in shady locations.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, journey