Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2022, 07:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Disable MWH Jacks?

" HWH "

We've owned this RV 5 years & I'd guess maby only the first few months the leveling Jacks worked correctly.

We may Have improperly operated it to mess up some sort of sequencing?

The problem:

As I went to take the RV out off mothballs, I opened the main room slide. Dang if the Jacks didn;t also drop.

In short it took Superman, floorjacks and 2x4's to ge the jacks back up.

Question As the slides work fine, is their a way to disable the leveler jacks and just use the slides?

Thanks!
Low_Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have to say you have a very high tolerance for things that don't work!
No it is not likely to be something you've done but a defect in the leveling system!
Thereis a hydrauolic system which uses the electrical controls to open and close various solenoids which let the fluid move toand from the correctplaces at the correct time. If those solenoid are sticking or leaking, they do not control the fluid prssure and things don't work right!

Yes, one could pay to have the hydraulic system disabled to permanently "break" it OR one could pay to have the solenoids checked and cleaned or replaced so that you could use the jacks!

When I spend money, I often assume it will INCREASE the value of the RV. I do not favor spending money to DECREASE the value.

Note!
Please keep in mind that the system is under extreme high pressure at different times and different places, so it is not a good item for a first go at repairing things!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply Richard

May I clarify this "disable ment" would not be permanent but so it can safely driven and or so the slides be extended with out dropping the Jacks?

I aggree not spend money to "de value" the RV.

But I do turn my own wrenches Thanks ~
Old 08-22-2022, 10:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low_Bridge View Post
Thanks for the reply Richard

May I clarify this "disable ment" would not be permanent but so it can safely driven and or so the slides be extended with out dropping the Jacks?

I aggree not spend money to "de value" the RV.

But I do turn my own wrenches Thanks ~
Okay, With DIY in mind, there will be tubing from the pump that feeds to both the slide and the jacks. If you can locate the tubes that go to the jacks and those that go to the slide, One could look at two different things.
One might locat eht tube which feeds the jacks and cap it off with enough reliable cap to stop the fluid moving to the jacks.
Getting a good cap is a question that I"m not well trained/experienced on hydraulics to know about. I've watched hydraulics and seen leaks enough to scare me but not enough to train me!

Another way to go might be to look at the system to spot what solenoid is not working at the right time and then there are several folks on the who have taken them out to either replace or repair them to bring them back to life.
It would take some searching but I have seen mention of getting good help on finding the problem to fix the right solenoid.

As I see it? The problem is that thereis one pump and it builds high pressure in both the lines for the slide and the jacks and then the different solenoids are what control how that fluid moves.
So when you get the slide pressure up to move it in/out, there is also prssure to move the jacks and it sound like the solenoid to stop that pressure is not working.
It could be the electrical parts of the system but since it did work for a time, I might lean more toward the solenoid not moving/sliding like it should and that seems to be dirt, etc. building up.

Do you have a manual in the big folder you may have for the RV that would give good info?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 04:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Paul Maddox is an HWH employee and Winnieowner who has helped out many of us with HWH issues. Before you get too far into this, I suggest you contact him. He's published his direct email address and phone number both on Winnieowners and IRV2.com, so don't be bashful: (602-549-3638) and direct email address, [email protected]

If you can ID the model of your slide, all the better.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 07:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks guys!

I had left the manual release valves open, so I'm reasoning it pressured the system to cause the jacks to drop when I opened the main slide. . I closed them.moved the rv to a new parking spot at home. When opened the rearslide (no drop) I also appreceate the lead on maddox. I beleive I'm going to be checking connection integrity and use a volt meter.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Seems to me there should be a specific jacks-only power fuse to pull that would work. When retracting our HWH jacks, the hydraulic pressure is released and the jacks are retracted with the springs. Larry 2014 Itasca Reyo P
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 10:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Some MH mfgrs, designed the HWH system electronics to operate that way to prevent damaging the slide room or the slide mechanism. Leveling first prevents that damage from occuring.

Most all HWH leveling systems have 2 12V solenoids on/near the tank-motor-solenoids assembly. One 12V solenoid(secondary) is specific to operate the hyd, slide mechansim, the other(primary) powers the leveling jacks.
These solenoids are wired so both have constant 12V input, but operate separately via the small 12v wiring. Locate your pump tank assy., take a picture of the 12v wiring. Now sit down with pencil and paper and copy the battery cable wiring, then you will visualize how and why the wiring is configured.
This pdf shows the wiring for the secondary solenoid to operate the slide room: Note the 12V supply that comes from the main solenoid that powers the jacks.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks