Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-30-2008, 05:36 AM   #1
TEO
Winnebago Camper

We have a Journey DL that we bought in December, and we love almost everything about it, the handling, the layout, the ride. However, I'm having a problem getting the sides clean. The upper part is fiberglass with decals, and it's sort of blotchy gray in areas and one can see lines where it looks like it was cleaned with something harsh that left some cleaner areas.

I saw a thread elsewhere that mentioned cleaning with a light solution of bleach, but that had no effect.

Can anyone recommend a way to get it looking good again?

Paul

FMCA F98905
TEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
TEO
Winnebago Camper

We have a Journey DL that we bought in December, and we love almost everything about it, the handling, the layout, the ride. However, I'm having a problem getting the sides clean. The upper part is fiberglass with decals, and it's sort of blotchy gray in areas and one can see lines where it looks like it was cleaned with something harsh that left some cleaner areas.

I saw a thread elsewhere that mentioned cleaning with a light solution of bleach, but that had no effect.

Can anyone recommend a way to get it looking good again?

Paul

FMCA F98905
TEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Paul:

When I had my '97 Adventurer, I cleaned the gelcoat with 3M Restorer/Wax. Got it at Walmart in the marine supply section. It was a lot of work but it did a pretty good job of cleaning it up and restoring the shine.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:25 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Paul

I am going through the same process now.
I started with Meguires cleaner/polish, but it just didnt do the job, improved it but it just wasnt abrasive enough to clean the fiberglass sidewalls.
I bought some Gel-gloss at Wallmart in the ceramic tile section. A vast improvement. It left a clean shiny sidewall. It is specifically made for tile/fiberglass etc.
I wouldnt use this on the decals or the painted surfaces. I used the Meguires for that.
I have no idea how long it will protect it for, and maybe someone else has a better solution.
So I am very intered in this thread also.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:00 PM   #5

After you clean it, make sure you cover it.

We use an ADCO with TyVek cover...been using it for three years now, and when I uncover it, the paint/graphics look as new as the day we bought it. We wouldn't own a unit that had been uncovered....especially up here! I've seen uncovered 2 year old units that the graphics are already peeling from the Sun!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

This is just my opinion. But everything you read tells you to wash from top to bottom.This fine if you are just washing your vehicle with car wash, mixed with water in bucket. But if you're spraying on any kind of cleaner,you should start from the bottom. The reason is that when you spray, you get liquid runs going down into the still dirty area. When you move down to clean the area below, you will still see cleaner streaks where the runs went down. I don't know why, it's just the way it is. I have a pressure washer that I use to wash my house. The instructions on the house wash detergent say to spray from bottom to top. I have found that when cleaning black streaks from my MH, bottom to top works best.
Chas
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:42 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

How right you are bottom to top thanks for the info
olly72 is offline   Reply With Quote