Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-27-2021, 11:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Dimension stanby power

2006 winnebago when hook up to shore power i have power going to the condensers but no power going to battier, the soler panle are charging the battier.

winn06
Winno6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 01:40 PM   #2

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but I see you have a 2006, 40' RV. That said we may have the same power grid or it will vary only by just a little bit... when it comes to the solenoid wiring.

Below are pictures of my 2004 Power Grid and I'm posting them with the hope that these pictures will help you to better understand how power is routed and switched in your RV.

DIMENSIONS 2000W INVERTER + 100ACHARGER

* This is a very good inverter and when it fails it is usually on the battery charger side.

* The Dimensions uses a NEGATIVE thermal sensor you do NOT want to connect to the positive side of your battery. If you do you may burnout some of the charging functions inside. If this happens you would hear a loud "pop" and you would smell some fowl odors for a few hours, but after that you may not notice your Dimensions Inverter-Charger will be shoring out inside... and over time you will notice more and my Amp-Hours (AH) being drained away. I think, if I remember, the fix is to replace the 2 Thermistor on the charger side... and you need to inspect the battery connector. (See last picture below.)

* Your battery cables provide 12V to the inverter when you need to convert and inverter 12VDC power to 120VAC. (When in inverter mode.)

* These same battery cables also allow 0-100A of charging current from the CHARGER to the house battery bank, but typically it will charge in the 20-40A range when you batteries need charging.

Note: If your batteries are shot, they will show a full charge but will not last but 30 seconds when you run your mircowave. So I call that a microwave test; and if you battery volts drop to less than 12V and do NOT recover, then chances are you need new house batteries.

* Your inverter receives L1 power from the main circuit panel; and here is an automatic transfer switch in side the Dimensions Inverter-Charger. I.e., anytime the inverter "detects" AC power on L1 then the charger is "off." And when there is L1 power to the inverter, then it goes into "inverter-on-mode" if your control panel inside the RV calls for the inverter to be "on".

* Your house batteries should get charged when you drive. The alternator is connected to the engine battery, but those solenoids (located above your inverter, behind a black metal panel) allow some current to flow to your house battery.

* Some 2004-2006 Winnebago's did come with alternator charging from the factory. Mine was one of these. So, I added a Keyline VSR and now my alternator does charge my house batteries when I drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 2004 Itasca 40AD Solenoid Schematic (Keep).jpg
Views:	47
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	179806   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Main AC Circuit Braker Panel 1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	179807  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Mark's EMS #620 board (good resistors)2.jpg