Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2022, 01:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Diesel Fuel Leak?

Left storage before last trip, wife noticed a small dark spot on ground about where left front of fuel tank would be located. I looked under MH and saw 1 small drip on front fuel tank strap. Wiped drip and waited no other formed. Upon returning to storage, I placed a pan under the left front corner of fuel tank where I had seen the drip. Went back 1 week later to check on contents of pan, approximately 1/2 cup fuel in pan.
Before taking MH to local Freightliner dealer, does anyone have any insight as to where such a slow leak could originate from.
I do keep fuel tank full, and even though MH is under cover, and out of the Sun, could fuel expansion be a cause. Thanks for your input
Old 04-30-2022, 06:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Most RV tanks have a couple hoses on the top of the tank. Those can age out and start leaking. Your rig is 11-12 years old and it wouldn't hurt to inspect them.

If it's determined that the hose has aged out or has a hole worn into it, note that usually you need to drop the tank around 12" to access so it can be replaced. An afternoon job from what I hear. Using a floor jack.

It's just bad luck because many of those hoses last for 20 or more years.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The expansion question might have merit. Is there a flexible connection in the fill neck?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, diesel, fuel